N54 Single Turbo Kit Choice

B_MC_83

May 30, 2019
Ride
08' E90 335i N54 AT
Planning on going single turbo and I can't decide what kit to run, being here in California has me limited to a bottom mount kit (or else I would go Docrace). That being said I can't decide on the 4N MOTORSPORT kit or the SPEEDTECH kit (Motiv is out due to budget). I am aiming for 650 to 700 WHP, what kit and turbo would you run and why?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Planning on going single turbo and I can't decide what kit to run, being here in California has me limited to a bottom mount kit (or else I would go Docrace). That being said I can't decide on the 4N MOTORSPORT kit or the SPEEDTECH kit (Motiv is out due to budget). I am aiming for 650 to 700 WHP, what kit and turbo would you run and why?

Might want to consider the CES kit also:

@JohnCES has put together a quality product at a really good price.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Precision 6266 gen 2 is a good choice for a turbo pretty responsive and will achieve your power goals

Reactions: B_MC_83

B_MC_83

May 30, 2019
Ride
08' E90 335i N54 AT
CES kit looks pretty nice, Steedspeed is pretty popular in the Cummins community as well. Would you run a Garrett or Precision turbo? Obviously the 6266 is a popular choice.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
CES kit looks pretty nice, Steedspeed is pretty popular in the Cummins community as well. Would you run a Garrett or Precision turbo? Obviously the 6266 is a popular choice.

I would get the 3582R Gen2, but for the price conscious most likely any turbo on that list would make you happy. Journal bearing turbos are cheaper and are known for trading a small amount of spool for more durability so I wouldn't discount the Gen1 PTE's either.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I second the ces kit. If I were going to replace my Motiv kit, I’d go with the ces kit.

Based on what I've heard, you'll see less cost saving decisions with the CES kit than you will with the 'budget' single options. I'd say its kind of the last of the non-budget turbo kits. I'm not sure if Motiv still makes their kit? And the other one was ADE, I run that kit and to be honest I like it, has never given me an issue but I don't know if Andy has anything off the shelf for that right now.

B_MC_83

May 30, 2019
Ride
08' E90 335i N54 AT
Based on what I've heard, you'll see less cost saving decisions with the CES kit than you will with the 'budget' single options. I'd say its kind of the last of the non-budget turbo kits. I'm not sure if Motiv still makes their kit? And the other one was ADE, I run that kit and to be honest I like it, has never given me an issue but I don't know if Andy has anything off the shelf for that right now.

yeah i was leaning towards the Speedtech kit since cost but i almost said screw it and went Docrace. The CES kit looks really nice and it may be worth the extra coin, I really like the steedspeed manifold in that kit.

So what’s the deal with open dump vs recirculated? I’m assuming the open dumps are crazy loud!?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
yeah i was leaning towards the Speedtech kit since cost but i almost said screw it and went Docrace. The CES kit looks really nice and it may be worth the extra coin, I really like the steedspeed manifold in that kit.

So what’s the deal with open dump vs recirculated? I’m assuming the open dumps are crazy loud!?

This is a stock exhaust(with catless 3.5" single downpipe) with a single scroll open dump tube. I floor it around 3k, excuse the wobbly windshield mount.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Wow, that thing rips! Nice man.

Not bad for a 4000 pound convertible on wg spring. If you have a loud exhaust already, it probably won't stick out terribly. If you're sensitive about how deep sounding your exhaust is, this does tend to give a bit more of a 'rattly' sound. I think twin scrolls are even more so since half the dump is passing through each tube. But if you're next to someone who understands modified cars, it will be very apparent that your car isn't stock.

silverstreak18

Corporal
Jan 3, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Ride
2016 M3
Awesome, which turbo did you go with?
Lets just say its none of the options John offers in his kit and I'm keeping it under wraps until everything is completed! I did however drive a car with the garrett 3582R Gen2 and it spooled really nice for the power its rated for. The 6266 isn't bad at all either. It really just depends if the extra money is worth a bit better spool for you.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Lets just say its none of the options John offers in his kit and I'm keeping it under wraps until everything is completed! I did however drive a car with the garrett 3582R Gen2 and it spooled really nice for the power its rated for. The 6266 isn't bad at all either. It really just depends if the extra money is worth a bit better spool for you.

Let's have a hint, do you prefer road courses or air strip events?

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
If i had to do it again, id go with bottom mount. Any of them.

Ive got a docrace 6466 kit. Got it before any good bottom kits were released. And motiv was way out of what i wanted to pay. And not in stock.

Had nothing but o2 issues, still do, oil drain supplied got hard and split leaking oil, turbo hits the hood vents, and wore off the paint on it, lots and lots of heat. The cool factor has wore off.

When she works, she works great. But for the money, get something else. Hell ls swap it before you top mount it.