N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I'm interested but not currently being tuned by Motiv. Will my current tuner be able to tune my car with a flex fuel setup?

I think the new XDF's and process is straight forward and easy enough for knowledgeable self-tuners, so as long as you have a reputable tuner they should have no issues at all.

Reactions: veer90

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I'm interested but not currently being tuned by Motiv. Will my current tuner be able to tune my car with a flex fuel setup?

@V8bait just tuned a car live in real time with this new flex fuel offering on the Precision Raceworks LIVE build that was aired on YouTube this weekend.

If you have a reputable tuner who actually understands tuning and can tune from scratch you won't have an issue.

If your tuner is one of the copy and paste guys with limited knowledge other than how to tweak individual tables...they won't be able to do this for a while.

Reactions: 135Pats and veer90

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
@V8bait just tuned a car live in real time with this new flex fuel offering on the Precision Raceworks LIVE build that was aired on YouTube this weekend.

If you have a reputable tuner who actually understands tuning and can tune from scratch you won't have an issue.

If your tuner is one of the copy and paste guys with limited knowledge other than how to tweak individual tables...they won't be able to do this for a while.

Sweet, that's my tuner lol

@V8bait time to send my car to the moon :blush:

Reactions: V8bait

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
For those that are running JB4 BEF, using JB4 app as monitoring.
Does it still work?

It will work, but will require a new BEF that Terry will have to make in the appropriate format. Also, JB4 software will need to be updated as well if they want to pull in E% from the DME.

JOEinSD

Private
Mar 31, 2017
Ride
N54 335i
For those that are running JB4 BEF, using JB4 app as monitoring.
Does it still work?
Thanks, this was essentially what I was asking.

It will work, but will require a new BEF that Terry will have to make in the appropriate format. Also, JB4 software will need to be updated as well if they want to pull in E% from the DME.
Thank you. So I wouldn't need to buy a standalone ECA because it's all inclusive?

The "box" is an ethanol content analyser...that's what you just bought.
Reason I asked about the ECA is because of this. I wasn't sure if it was a standalone.. :
Their E85 sensor is just the typical Continental / GM sensor so that will be fine. However, their bluetooth ECA (ethanol content analyzer) is not supported. I would see if you can return it. Only the official MHD/Motiv ECA is supported as it was designed specifically to work with the DME, and some changes were needed vs. standard off the shelf ECA's currently on the market.

As I said earlier on, I encourage those interested to not purchase any hardware until the official flex fuel pre-order thread is posted. Pre-orders will open about 1 week before shipping.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
It's pretty straightforward and he's going to release some tools to make it even easier. The time consuming part for me was having to verify every single axis breakpoint and table by hand as some have been repurposed for space, and I only got the software the night before lol. With the tools he's releasing, a lot of that will be automated, and once you finish setting it up you're good to go. You can still cheat a little with boost control using airflow adder, but this does require a good understanding of boost control and the base wgdc table.

I think they've done a very good job with this.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
It's pretty straightforward and he's going to release some tools to make it even easier. The time consuming part for me was having to verify every single axis breakpoint and table by hand as some have been repurposed for space, and I only got the software the night before lol. With the tools he's releasing, a lot of that will be automated, and once you finish setting it up you're good to go. You can still cheat a little with boost control using airflow adder, but this does require a good understanding of boost control and the base wgdc table.

I think they've done a very good job with this.

CTRL+C then CTRL+V

07f.jpg

JOEinSD

Private
Mar 31, 2017
Ride
N54 335i
JB4 users still need an ECA, but they can continue to use a JB4 if they wish was what I meant.
Any idea when the Motiv ECA will be availabe, then?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found my answer. THIS is what I was looking for about an ECA.

Where we're going, we don't need standalones.

Right now it's flex fuel sensor -> custom ethanol content analyzer -> DME pin

There was confusion on my part because I read the below answer and thought we would need the Flex Fuel box + Standalone ECA. Someone had asked about using another company's ECA, and this was Jake's answer.

Their E85 sensor is just the typical Continental / GM sensor so that will be fine. However, their bluetooth ECA (ethanol content analyzer) is not supported. I would see if you can return it. Only the official MHD/Motiv ECA is supported as it was designed specifically to work with the DME, and some changes were needed vs. standard off the shelf ECA's currently on the market.

As I said earlier on, I encourage those interested to not purchase any hardware until the official flex fuel pre-order thread is posted. Pre-orders will open about 1 week before shipping.

Last edited:

Hill'n'toe

Private
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
335Xi
Hi, I'm new here. I've just read most of the 24 pages, it's a pretty awesome news.
This is exactly what I was looking for. My car is completly stock, stock turbos, catted DP, stock intercooler, new HPFP, new coils, new spark plugs.
What do I need to go Flex fuel stage 1 ?
Am I good with that ? :
- Motiv Flex Fuel Box
- Motiv Ethanol Content Sensor Kit
- Stage 2 LPFP (Boost Concept DIY Kit)
- And of course MHD and all the modules

Thanks

I hope I'll be the first MHD Motiv flex fuelled french guy !

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I can't seem to find it but I thought I remembered reading that due to ram limitations some compromises had to be made are their any features that are lost with the flex fuel maps?

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I can't seem to find it but I thought I remembered reading that due to ram limitations some compromises had to be made are their any features that are lost with the flex fuel maps?

I would answer, but @JOEinSD doesn't want that so I'll just say you can find this answer obscurely via some creative google searching where it was listed on another board and has a link to a social media post that directly answers this specific thing.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I would answer, but @JOEinSD doesn't want that so I'll just say you can find this answer obscurely via some creative google searching where it was listed on another board and has a link to a social media post that directly answers this specific thing.

Or you can watch the 20hr video of the live install done by Precision Raceworks where it was inferred in the description about 13hr's in but not directly answered.

Reactions: V8bait

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
:tearsofjoy: Love such an appropriate smart arse answer!

Now, I'm not sure if Joe internets much so let's give him a break and help out Mr Rob09 if we can.

I was thinking previously about the length of the video as well and that some sort of table of contents would be very handy. Gonna take a lot of effort to pull that off though.