N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

all4bspinnin

Corporal
Jun 12, 2017
Ride
135i TT
The majority of N54 owners have no need to replace the full line from tank up, so the short lines gives them the ability to easily add the ethanol sensor by just replacing the short piece up to hpfp.

I cant remember but is that the piece with the filter in it? I vaguely remember reading about a hardline to the hpfp with a small filter in it.

once-ler

Lurker
Sep 18, 2017
Ride
'08 E90 335XI
The majority of N54 owners have no need to replace the full line from tank up

@jyamona, could you please elaborate on what you mean by "need":
  • Is the full line needed if someone is running hybrid turbos, to save the inconvenience of replacing the entire line or for some other reason?
  • To ask the question in another way, in which situations is the full line not needed?
I agree with @fmorelli's point that ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline, so a line with greater diameter may be beneficial, but then anyone running some amount of ethanol (which is everyone getting this mod) would want the bigger line.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
@jyamona, could you please elaborate on what you mean by "need":
  • Is the full line needed if someone is running hybrid turbos, to save the inconvenience of replacing the entire line or for some other reason?
  • To ask the question in another way, in which situations is the full line not needed?
I agree with @fmorelli's point that ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline, so a line with greater diameter may be beneficial, but then anyone running some amount of ethanol (which is everyone getting this mod) would want the bigger line.
If you're going stage 2 or higher fueling, you could benefit from the added line size. If not, don't bother.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I cant remember but is that the piece with the filter in it? I vaguely remember reading about a hardline to the hpfp with a small filter in it.

No, there are actually two sections of feed line which are forward of the firewall. The short line actually starts under the driver's feet, but I'm saying firewall because its easier.

Backing up, there is a feed hose that comes out of the tank and it runs up the driver side of the car along with the brake hardlines. This fuel feed line ends with a push lock connection below the driver footwell area. From here, what is being called the short line, will go up the firewall and connect to a metal pipe via a quick connect. This hard line which is home to the LPFP sensor and is not considered part of the shortline, screws directly onto the HPFP inlet and inside this inlet there is a little screen/filter which you're referring to. This screen is technically inside the HPFP inlet, so its not considered part of the feel line as it comes with the pump when you buy them new.

The shortline will have the sensor inline somewhere, probably very close to the push lock connection because its a fairly serviceable area and its protected with a metal shield. If you want an illustration, check out my shotgun install guide in the document section, it has very good photos of all these things including the filter.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeffman

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
@jyamona

So after reading about the PI scaling. It uses the TMAP wire on the AIC. If my AIC has the vacuum line for boost reference does that mean I need to get the newer one that uses the wire instead?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
@jyamona

So after reading about the PI scaling. It uses the TMAP wire on the AIC. If my AIC has the vacuum line for boost reference does that mean I need to get the newer one that uses the wire instead?

Yes, there is no way we would be able to support the one with the boost reference line. If you really want to keep that AIC you can always just use a fuel scalar < 1.0 in your 91/93oct fuel scalar map where PI is spraying a ton to keep trims in check.

If you want a different AIC, you can get the 0-5v version of yours most people run, or the new AIC2 which actually has it's own input for ethanol percent. In that case you would splice the wire from the ECA that goes to the DME for ethanol %, and send it to the AIC2 as well.

Omar@VaderSolutions

Lieutenant
Premium Vendor
Oct 19, 2016
NY & AZ
vadersolution.com
Ride
N54 135i & N54 335i
Yes, there is no way we would be able to support the one with the boost reference line. If you really want to keep that AIC you can always just use a fuel scalar < 1.0 in your 91/93oct fuel scalar map where PI is spraying a ton to keep trims in check.

If you want a different AIC, you can get the 0-5v version of yours most people run, or the new AIC2 which actually has it's own input for ethanol percent. In that case you would splice the wire from the ECA that goes to the DME for ethanol %, and send it to the AIC2 as well.
ooh snap

frontside0815

Corporal
Nov 9, 2016
Germany

Is there anything coming out concerning PI control?
You once talked like that is coming out in another Forum, i think.
Also will we be able to use the Flex fuel stuff to Change maps on the fly continuously variable?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Is there anything coming out concerning PI control?

Not yet. I believe there are a few better controllers in the design/dev stage but who knows the ETA on them.

Also will we be able to use the Flex fuel stuff to Change maps on the fly continuously variable?

From release date, you can wire in a simple circuit with a dial to adjust on the fly. A more elegant solution without the need to wire anything in will come at a date date, unknown ETA.

Reactions: frontside0815

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
It would work, but will be very peasant-like vs. what I have in mind :)
You mean, like using cameras and recognition software to know when your car is at a light and a some guy and his skank is revving his Mustang GT next to you, so the kill maps get dropped in? Yeah ... you're right ... that would be cool. :sunglasses:

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: V8bait

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
giphy.gif

frontside0815

Corporal
Nov 9, 2016
Germany
It would work, but will be very peasant-like vs. what I have in mind :)

Tell us more :p.
All i think is Flex fuel should be released soon (right?), so "hacking" it with a dial would be not that far away, whereas i think the things you have in mind and all the other Features from MHD announced are a few months away, i think..

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Tell us more :p.
All i think is Flex fuel should be released soon (right?), so "hacking" it with a dial would be not that far away, whereas i think the things you have in mind and all the other Features from MHD announced are a few months away, i think..
Flex fuel is released dude...get out from under that rock. Lol