N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Well, to clarify, there is Jake H, who is definitely part of Motiv Motorsport, obviously. And there is Jake Yamona, who I do not think currently identifies as an employee of Motiv, more like a collaborator. I could be wrong, just AFAIK.

I always thought of Jake Yamona as like an outside consultant that helped Marshall at MHD. I have always considered Motiv a separate entity that gets enough customers with deep enough wallets to justify their existence as a well vetted beta/test bed of sorts for MHD.

That's how I have positioned their relationship(s) in my tiny man brain.

Ilkka

Private
Sep 7, 2017
Ride
N54 335i e92
I want to thank you all involved in developing this. It has demanded a lot of effort, but the feature is great. I see you are replying emails on weekend nights and preparing instructions by testing the instructions etc. Small things that make the product excellent, even if it cannot be compared with the software problems with limited memory in the DME, and endless research on the tables and firmware and the challenges in protecting the IPRs. Thanks guys.

JDKruger4

Private
Aug 10, 2017
Ride
335i LCI
People bought the product knowing it wasn't ready, and as they say, until the fat lady sings.
I disagree with this statement. We were told multiple times that the delay was for working out all the final issues and it would ship when ready, including a teaser photo of the FF hardware saying it was ready to ship just waiting on the MHD side. On March 27th I received the following email from Motiv:
"As this is a collaborative project between us and MHD, we have to wait for the final "green light" from them to ship. At the current time we do not expect delays, but wanted to keep you aware."
It shipped about a week later with no further communication. Looking at FF on Motiv's website, it states this is a Pre-Sale but still there is nothing about MHD component not being available. In the items needed it just says: "MHD Flex Fuel Module (In MHD N54 Android App)" without mentioning that it is not available. A reasonable person who has not read through all the SS thread would buy this now with the expectation of being able to use it when it arrives.

I'm super excited about it still and know (firsthand) that these things are far more complicated than they appear and require tons of effort, sacrifice, and sleepless nights to pull off. All I would like to see is a statement or status along the lines of "We encountered (insert reason). As our mission is to provide the best product possible we expect a three week delay. Thanks for your patience!"

Reactions: mang.vang

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Well, the problem itself was the delay which can't be remedied when that delay continues to happen, so really its a matter of picking their poison it seems. Have people complain because you don't release it or have people complain because you did. People bought the product knowing it wasn't ready, and as they say, until the fat lady sings. So while I certainly understand frustration people may have, I'm not tripping because this is so low on my frustration-O-meter, it makes me wonder if any of you guys have real problems in life. If this puts someone in a financial hardship, I'm certain they would take it back. Otherwise, if they didn't put it on sale, we'd be no closer to a flex fuel solution, in fact, I'd personally be further away from having this solved since I wouldn't even have the product in my hands.

For me it was not the delay. I am in no hurry and technically, they already have the product out and sold it to me. The problem was lack of communication regarding installation. They finally replied, but it was black out for quite a while and it worried me - an unnecessary process. Simply quick, "we are working on it" would have alayed any stress in the first place.

VT

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I disagree with this statement. We were told multiple times that the delay was for working out all the final issues and it would ship when ready, including a teaser photo of the FF hardware saying it was ready to ship just waiting on the MHD side. On March 27th I received the following email from Motiv:
"As this is a collaborative project between us and MHD, we have to wait for the final "green light" from them to ship. At the current time we do not expect delays, but wanted to keep you aware."
It shipped about a week later with no further communication. Looking at FF on Motiv's website, it states this is a Pre-Sale but still there is nothing about MHD component not being available. In the items needed it just says: "MHD Flex Fuel Module (In MHD N54 Android App)" without mentioning that it is not available. A reasonable person who has not read through all the SS thread would buy this now with the expectation of being able to use it when it arrives.

I'm super excited about it still and know (firsthand) that these things are far more complicated than they appear and require tons of effort, sacrifice, and sleepless nights to pull off. All I would like to see is a statement or status along the lines of "We encountered (insert reason). As our mission is to provide the best product possible we expect a three week delay. Thanks for your patience!"

Well, luckily for me this is not my product. I do know jake has given multiple updates, just not here it seems. @MOTIV Motorsport

JOEinSD

Private
Mar 31, 2017
Ride
N54 335i
Here’s something...

944511_F4_959_E_4_DCC_A949_42506_A7_D7485.png

kSikyc

Attachments

• 944511F4-959E-4DCC-A949-42506A7D7485.png
    944511F4-959E-4DCC-A949-42506A7D7485.png
    382.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

MOTIV Motorsport

Nov 3, 2016
Well, luckily for me this is not my product. I do know jake has given multiple updates, just not here it seems. @MOTIV Motorsport

The original plan was to have everything be delivered for late March installs and the module in MHD to be released. The back end of the logic and flash setup is very intricate and taking a little longer to code the finishing touches.

We do expect it to be released shortly and our plan was to post the install instructions at the same time.

Since it seems like it is close we are going to put the pdf installation instructions on our site this evening and it can be installed so that the moment it is available in the MHD app everyone can just get the module and go.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Everything can be installed except for the two wires that actually connect to the DME. Do not hook them up until you plan on flashing the MHD module at the same time, otherwise you will have codes and/or wonky behavior.

Reactions: doublespaces

blisstik

Corporal
Mar 27, 2018
Ride
E92 MOTIV750 (Sold)
The original plan was to have everything be delivered for late March installs and the module in MHD to be released. The back end of the logic and flash setup is very intricate and taking a little longer to code the finishing touches.

We do expect it to be released shortly and our plan was to post the install instructions at the same time.

Since it seems like it is close we are going to put the pdf installation instructions on our site this evening and it can be installed so that the moment it is available in the MHD app everyone can just get the module and go.

Awesome. How about maps for the AIC1 and a base tune? That's via email still right? No base maps for download or anything?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Build it and they will come. T minus 2 hours ... if considering east coast time lol.

Filippo

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 9.55.29 PM.png

blisstik

Corporal
Mar 27, 2018
Ride
E92 MOTIV750 (Sold)
Last edited:

MattGu40

Private
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335xi FBO
Tuning related question. im using jb4 + custom BEF do i need 2 complete new map to be made again in order to get this working properly ? will the MHD module make me Flash 2 different map for pump vs max e85 content?

JDKruger4

Private
Aug 10, 2017
Ride
335i LCI
Well it's been another week since my rant complaining of lack of communication and transparency. We have received a PDF of hardware installation instructions that was very well done. Inexplicably, there is still no communication on the time frame for the MHD component (please correct me if I'm wrong). My FF kit is still unopened, as I wanted to see the entire system prior to installing. By Motiv's policy on their website I have 2 days left in my return window. Will Motiv be extending this return window for the Flex Fuel kit? Seems like the right thing to do given the circumstances.

Reactions: fmorelli

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Why should they do that? Even if Flex Fuel never comes out, you have a piece of hardware that is an ethanol content analyzer. It might have some use if we could connect a separate display to it to see the ethanol content.