N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Important note for all pro-tuners, tooners, tunas, etc:

When creating a locked FF tune for your clients, DO NOT run the "original" bin through the FF format tool. Keep the original as is...original. Run the file you will be tuning through the FF tool, then open in TP and tune it w/ the FF XDF. Run the MHD lock tool with this bin file, their vin txt, and the original bin file. The lock tool will say that there are some undefined differences, that is fine and expected.

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
2. AN6 connectors are a pain to install without removing the hpfp hard line. You cannot tighten the connectors properly unless you free the hpfp line to have room to maneuver your wrenches. I used an adjustable wrench to tighten the connectors after loosening the hpfp hard line away from the car structure.

This is too true. I would have paid good money to have the nice fuel-it twist lock connectors, lol.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
MHD 1.70b dropped with some FF updates according to the release notes.

Filippo

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Important note for all pro-tuners, tooners, tunas, etc:

ProTuna.png

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
You may have a boost leak or similar hardware issue. WGDC is maxed during spool like it should be, so it is not a tune issue.

Hill'n'toe

Private
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
335Xi
Ok I understand, no doubt, it's not a tune issue.
Then, if it's leak problem I'm wondering why I'm able to reach the target on the higher revs ?

Thanks

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Ok I understand, no doubt, it's not a tune issue.
Then, if it's leak problem I'm wondering why I'm able to reach the target on the higher revs ?

Thanks

It is basically at target boost around 2800rpm. The turbo needs time to spool :). Yours might be spooling slightly slower than normal due to a leak, but by "lower revs" you mean when going WOT at 2k rpm it will never hit target boost immediately.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I also just looked at gear in your log, that was only 2nd gear which has naturally slower spool. If you log the same thing in 3rd or 4th you'll see it reaches target much faster.

jfranklin4000

Apr 18, 2018
San Francisco Bay Area
Ride
2006 335i
It is not from the trans, it is due to boost being over target a bit. I will fwd these along to Ken (@WedgePerformance ) for a look, he may need to make a few map tweaks. Can you give some more details on your mods, and what map you picked for your pump map?

I went back and did a numerical analysis of all my data. I found that in nearly all cases where the throttle was reduced, Boost-BoostTarget is >=0. So it seems there is a strong correlation with the boost being over target.

The pump maps are 91oct Map1 and 91oct Map1+ (The files list them no?)
The car only has very minor modifications. Mostly I have been refreshing all of the regular maintenance items.

105K on the odometer
Burger DCI
CPE Charge Pipe

Stock Turbos replaced @70K
HPFP replaced @ 65K

Stock Maintenance Items performed in the last 2000 miles
OEM plugs -new
OEM Coils - new
Vacuum Hoses - new
all fluids
oil gaskets/ belts etc.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I went back and did a numerical analysis of all my data. I found that in nearly all cases where the throttle was reduced, Boost-BoostTarget is >=0. So it seems there is a strong correlation with the boost being over target.

It's not just a strong correlation....it IS the correlation. Throttle closes some to lower boost a bit when needed, this is how the stock tune from BMW operates as well. It works well in conjunction with the PID for duty cycle, and doesn't really harm anything. In the end, these are OTS maps and cannot be 100% perfect for every car. If you want a map perfectly made for your exact vehicle, that is where a pro-tune comes in.

Sorry, I'm a newbe what's a WOT ?

Wide open throttle, aka pedal to the metal.