N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I responded earlier about tightening the aluminum fittings. I don’t have torque specs just muscle memory lol. I’m not used to these fittings so I may have over-torqued then when I heard some crunching sounds.

Regarding the ethanol content sensor, yes it’s just floating there. There was so much tension between the hardline mounting screw and the black clip in the tunnel that I didn’t bother with trying to mount the sensor.

I bolted my sensor to the underframe driver side...super solid, not vibrating or shaking that I can see...

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
-AN torque is typically finger tight plus 1/4 turn with a small amount of lube on both connectors on the 37 degree flare to keep them from galling.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
What size bolt did you use?

I think the bolt already exists on the car. Just took it off and replaced it with the sensor in place... been a while. If not, then it may have been supplied with the sensor. don't remember how big it was...not bigger than 13mm head.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Got everything installed. Fuel lines, eca, and the FF module in the DME all wired up. I have a tune from Motiv that I put on and the car starts up and runs fine (haven't driven it). I turned the ethanol content monitor on and it is showing 0%. Also, do I have to purchase the flex fuel module from MHD?

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Got everything installed. Fuel lines, eca, and the FF module in the DME all wired up. I have a tune from Motiv that I put on and the car starts up and runs fine (haven't driven it). I turned the ethanol content monitor on and it is showing 0%. Also, do I have to purchase the flex fuel module from MHD?
Yes, you need to purchase the Flex Fuel from MHD.
I had to stop MHD and restart it for it to show E%

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly

What version of MHD do you have? You shouldn't have been able to flash an FF formatted file without having purchased the license. It sounds like the first tune file you were sent may not have been FF formatted.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
I have 1.70c.

I am unsure if the tune is FF or not, i thought you took 2 files and flashed them both. I have the FF module installed and hooked up. Last time I read if you had it hooked up it would cause issues with the car. Can I still leave it hooked up and drive around fine if this was a e85 map?

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I have 1.70c.

I am unsure if the tune is FF or not, i thought you took 2 files and flashed them both. I have the FF module installed and hooked up. Last time I read if you had it hooked up it would cause issues with the car. Can I still leave it hooked up and drive around fine if this was a e85 map?

You can't just flash a regular map. You have to complete the process of converting your maps to the proper FF format

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I have 1.70c.

Can you post a screenshot of your "read codes" screen so I can see last flashed filename and that info, and also a screenshot of logging the params ECA Voltage and Ethanol %?

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Can you post a screenshot of your "read codes" screen so I can see last flashed filename and that info, and also a screenshot of logging the params ECA Voltage and Ethanol %?

kS9qnuN.jpg

cFRxdj0.jpg

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Have you always had the 2F71 code? If not, I would double check all wires after your ECA install, you may have messed something up w/ the e-box fan wire.

Second, looks like that map was flashed on an older version of MHD before the FF option was in the store, hence the logic to back it was not flashed (and it let you flash the map w/o the license). Now that you are on 1.70c, could you please flash back to stock and then flash the tune file again?

Thanks!

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Have you always had the 2F71 code? If not, I would double check all wires after your ECA install, you may have messed something up w/ the e-box fan wire.

Second, looks like that map was flashed on an older version of MHD before the FF option was in the store, hence the logic to back it was not flashed (and it let you flash the map w/o the license). Now that you are on 1.70c, could you please flash back to stock and then flash the tune file again?

Thanks!

Yeah that code has always been there.

Also, is 1.70c the newest version? THat is what I had before I flashed this map today.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Yeah that code has always been there.

Also, is 1.70c the newest version? THat is what I had before I flashed this map today.

Yes 1.70c is the latest. I would still try stock and reflash, making sure to have the license first.. FF logic has not been added to your car currently.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Yes 1.70c is the latest. I would still try stock and reflash, making sure to have the license first.. FF logic has not been added to your car currently.

Ok, and by the map name and the tuner, would this be a FF map?

Also, since the FF module is all hooked up right now and my car runs. Should it? I thought when the FF module wasn't out yet, you didn't want people to hook it up.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Ok, and by the map name and the tuner, would this be a FF map?

Also, since the FF module is all hooked up right now and my car runs. Should it? I thought when the FF module wasn't out yet, you didn't want people to hook it up.

I sent you PM. But yes, car will run. Eventually it will give some codes and I didn't want the questions / support headaches from that, so people were advised to install only when tune file was ready.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

Thanks!

I had that error last month... so what did I do? Ordered the fan from FCP EURO and replaced it. Connection was not made for my car though they listed it as compatible. But I just jammed it in since the wires were in the correct place. No more errors.

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
Ok - I need some guidance from the hive mind regarding flex fuel install, and a little context along with my question:

1. I’m almost finished with my N54 build (forged internals, sleeves, insert, built head, cams, ARP everything), single top mount.
2. I will run PI, stage 3 pump, boost box, and flex fuel sensor. I also plan to have Motiv dyno tune the car after break in.
3. Should I wait to have Motiv install the flex fuel module when they dyno tune the car - after the break in?

Just looking for a little guidance....