N54 w/ZF8 transmission...potential new option for auto guys

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I purchased a pd kit but would love the zf8 do you know what it would cost to send my car from ny or ct in us to you do conversion and get back roughly. I just want to know if it's even an option.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I was curious if anyone had tried to swap any other ZFxHP transmissions into these cars yet, I'm glad you bumped this thread Rob.

I'm 100% interested in something like this, while obviously swapping the trans out for something tried and true like a 4L80 or powerglide is nice from a pure torque holding perspective I think the ZF would just be an all around better option. Not only do the ZF trans blow other autos out of the water when it comes to shifting etc but personally I bought a(nother) BMW because I like the whole package and this would obviously keep the blood "pure" so to speak. I think something like this is what we really need to start being more competitive at the strip on a wide basis.

Forgive me for not reading the whole thread yet an I'm not in a place where I have more than a few minutes to read, but what is the biggest hurdle here? The fact that the bellhousing doesn't just straight Bolt up or is it more TCU related? I can't help but think going from one ZF auto to another ZF auto shouldn't be impossible, especially compared to things already done on both this platform and others.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I think it was just the communication, something about a 4 way handshake and isn signing. It does bolt up though.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I was curious if anyone had tried to swap any other ZFxHP transmissions into these cars yet, I'm glad you bumped this thread Rob.

I'm 100% interested in something like this, while obviously swapping the trans out for something tried and true like a 4L80 or powerglide is nice from a pure torque holding perspective I think the ZF would just be an all around better option. Not only do the ZF trans blow other autos out of the water when it comes to shifting etc but personally I bought a(nother) BMW because I like the whole package and this would obviously keep the blood "pure" so to speak. I think something like this is what we really need to start being more competitive at the strip on a wide basis.

Forgive me for not reading the whole thread yet an I'm not in a place where I have more than a few minutes to read, but what is the biggest hurdle here? The fact that the bellhousing doesn't just straight Bolt up or is it more TCU related? I can't help but think going from one ZF auto to another ZF auto shouldn't be impossible, especially compared to things already done on both this platform and others.

A guy swapped in the 6HP28. Had to weld the bellhousing IIRC, but it drives.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
A guy swapped in the 6HP28. Had to weld the bellhousing IIRC, but it drives.
Sweet, honestly I might look into going that route myself then if the TQ capabilities look decent enough for what I want. Was welding the biggest issue he ran into? I'm assuming I would also need the corresponding TCU rather than just re-flashing mine, correct?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Sweet, honestly I might look into going that route myself then if the TQ capabilities look decent enough for what I want. Was welding the biggest issue he ran into? I'm assuming I would also need the corresponding TCU rather than just re-flashing mine, correct?

I think a flash from another vehicle was used actually. But a custom xhp map is supposedly being made. I have a 6hp28 for sale from before I went with a dct. Has 60k or so on it if I recall.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I think a flash from another vehicle was used actually. But a custom xhp map is supposedly being made. I have a 6hp28 for sale from before I went with a dct. Has 60k or so on it if I recall.
Shit if that's the case I will almost definitely be pursuing that when the time comes. A local shop who's owner I'm close with uses a machine shop that's already made and is currently making custom E9x and N54 parts for them so I dont think some decent welding of a bellhousing would be an issue at all.

Is there a link you have for where you saw this or was it in person? I'm curious if they reused their stock diff somehow or a donor diff from the other car and if any further improvements could be made there too.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Shit if that's the case I will almost definitely be pursuing that when the time comes. A local shop who's owner I'm close with uses a machine shop that's already made and is currently making custom E9x and N54 parts for them so I dont think some decent welding of a bellhousing would be an issue at all.

Is there a link you have for where you saw this or was it in person? I'm curious if they reused their stock diff somehow or a donor diff from the other car and if any further improvements could be made there too.

AFAIK, all the information has swapped hands in private, I'll ask the person if they are ready to share anything however.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
AFAIK, all the information has swapped hands in private, I'll ask the person if they are ready to share anything however.
Understood. I appreciate you being willing to ask, feel free to PM me if they still want it kept pretty quiet, but if they want to keep it completely hush-hush I can still understand that too and no hard feelings. Worst case scenario I suppose I could go poking around the minds of the xHP guys and a couple other groups

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Understood. I appreciate you being willing to ask, feel free to PM me if they still want it kept pretty quiet, but if they want to keep it completely hush-hush I can still understand that too and no hard feelings. Worst case scenario I suppose I could go poking around the minds of the xHP guys and a couple other groups
Apparently the xhp file was already made and he's going to the track this friday and said he'll make a post on it.

I'm selling my trans for $500 to whoever wants it, located in AZ

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Apparently the xhp file was already made and he's going to the track this friday and said he'll make a post on it.

I'm selling my trans for $500 to whoever wants it, located in AZ
Awesome, I'm looking forward to it. After some searching tonight I was only able to find a single thing online of someone doing this swap (on an 08 335xi, is that him?) but there was no real info posted so I messaged that person.

If this swap turns out to be fruitful and you still have the trans in a few months I might be interested, but unfortunately I have some other things I need more in the meantime.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Awesome, I'm looking forward to it. After some searching tonight I was only able to find a single thing online of someone doing this swap (on an 08 335xi, is that him?) but there was no real info posted so I messaged that person.

If this swap turns out to be fruitful and you still have the trans in a few months I might be interested, but unfortunately I have some other things I need more in the meantime.
Probably, his name is Talon.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Taron* lol
Alright cool, that was him then. Got a little info out of him on it and it sounds pretty simple but he did mention that he was going to be more detailed in his thread. He said its 100% functional though which is exciting.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I know it would prob not be quicker but i wonder if it would transfer more power during shift ex being not need as aggressive of a torque reduction

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I know it would prob not be quicker but i wonder if it would transfer more power during shift ex being not need as aggressive of a torque reduction

xHP started out on the 6HP28, so I'd say it can do what we want. Based on what I'm told and have seen, it should be a beast.