n55 way more finicky than 54

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Does anyone find that the n55 335i is way more sensitive and finicky than the n54?
I work on both engines and every time I work on an n55 no matter who's car it may be... once re-assemble is done, I run fault codes and 100% of the time I get some error related to the vanos actuator, boost error, some short circuit, some radiator fault...and it goes on and on. It doesn't matter if it's a simple or complex job...

The N54 on the other hand...no surprises. Fix one thing and it's fixed, no other errors pop up at all. Been over four years working on these engines and that is the apparent trend with comparing the two platforms. If had to choose...I would buy an n54 over n55 in all cases, due to my repair experiences.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Just make sure you're disconnecting the battery and there will be no issues...

I done all kinds of jobs and in both cases whether or not the battery is disconnected makes no difference. Freaking vanos actuator connection faults...crazy stuff.

The other day I did a waterpump and thermostat job...normal nothing weird... until all was reassembled and got a radiator low fault, thermostat fault, misfires 3 cylinders, damaging exhaust fault...after a 30 mile drive suddenly all gone and smooth as butter...wtf? I was like..."this is retarded".

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
There will surely be some differences since there is an entirely different DME. The MEVD is more sophisticated so if it has more nags that seems inline with what I'd expect.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Yeah I've never had anything like this and I've replaced almost every component on the entire chassis at this point. Battery voltage dropping is about the only time I've ever seen codes pop up for no reason.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Yeah I've never had anything like this and I've replaced almost every component on the entire chassis at this point. Battery voltage dropping is about the only time I've ever seen codes pop up for no reason.

That explains a lot. Last car had 40% voltage left... no wonder.

• Funny
Reactions: GreyNBlueE92