New garage door openers are crap

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I only say this because I had an older Craftsman that still worked but wanted to be able to remotely open my garage and just update it before it broke.

I decided to go with a Chamberlain B6765 and it is a nice unit. The install was super easy and I did it by myself in like an hour since I just reused the two sensors installed already and the wire for the old wall mount.

The remotes work great even at a good distance, but here is where it ends. My wife has a 2014 CTS and the home link will not connect to the new opener. My 2011 335is homelink will not connect to this new opener. Doing some research I found I needed what is called a compatibility bridge link. Bought that for an extra $40 installed it and the BMW ended up connecting but I have to be right smack in front of the door for it to open, and the Cadillac still didn't work.

This is super frustrating. Why in hell would they make it so cars not even that old won't connect?

So I have an idea to upgrade the modules in both cars. Has anyone does this yet or have any insight if this will work or not?

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
The homelink stuff is standalone integrated into the mirror assembly. So a newer mirror should do it.

I have all the same as you have said and don't have such a problem with the distance. Maybe experiment with the location where the bridge is mounted?
20200928_113411.jpg

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Beautiful garage NoQuarter!

Well the Bridge is on its way back to amazon.

Upgrading the entire mirror seems like a waste. I wonder if I can just get to the module inside the mirrow?

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I have had the mirrors apart for another project.

You can get to the insides easy enough but swapping the board would still require finding a mirror to get the module in it. Havnt tried finding a homelink module by itself.

Reactions: NoGuru