New HPFP Upgrade - SpoolPerformance Helix

Flinchy

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Australia
Hope we get more concrete info/pricing soon, keen to buy if it fits my needs

This is the same issue in Australia but cops actually know their job and most know what they are looking at.

Draw any attention to yourself and you get pulled over your bound to get a engine bay inspection and defect.

This may be the single funniest thing you've ever said

Cops in Australia knowing their job (for the most part) in regards to cars

Absolute crack up!

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if the cops do or don’t know much about cars or if a mod is “hidden” or not. We as the consumers decide to take a risk when we modify our cars. If someone doesn’t like it or isn’t willing to deal with the consequences then they shouldn’t, and if they think that’s unfair, then they should do something about it, like vote differently or move. Bitching on the internet won’t solve anything.

Reactions: martymil

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
People generalizing to much that's like blanket statement on US. In different areas of countries their are different statistics on your I'm fucked o meter when pulled over

Last edited:

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
People generalizing to much that's like blanket statement on us different areas different statistics on your I'm fucked o meter
Excuse-me-What.jpg

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Hope we get more concrete info/pricing soon, keen to buy if it fits my needs
There will definitely be more solid info coming soon FROM THE VENDOR. Anything else you hear (i.e. from competitors or people "who know somebody") should be taken with a large grain of salt. Even if you just had a casual conversation with Spool about it, you'd likely realize how much false info is in this thread - I know I'm not supposed to say much but for example one of the biggest things that stands out to me is that theres only one tuner who is currently tuning the handful of these that are out there. I dont mean to cast any shade at @Chris@VargasTurboTech at all, and everyone on this forum knows I'm a fan of several VTT products and try to stay unbiased with my vendor opinions, but someone has clearly fed him some false info too unfortunately.

My advice if you have time to wait before needing supplemental fueling: wait another month or two and see if this is the right option for you based on installation and the pros and cons of staying DI vs PI, then go from there. For example I cant use any Shotgun setup due to deleting my AC system, and I know a few other options or models will also prevent others from using the Shotgun unfortunately. The rest will be obvious once Spool and/or the tuner release public info.

@doublespaces or @SpoolPerformance if you feel anything in my post is saying too much please feel free to edit it out or message me.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
There will definitely be more solid info coming soon FROM THE VENDOR.

My advice if you have time to wait before needing supplemental fueling: wait another month or two and see if this is the right option for you based on installation and the pros and cons of staying DI vs PI, then go from there.

This also isn't the only DI solution coming out "soon," I'd call em up right now but I'm waiting to hear from another vendor (who hasn't announced anything publicly, and I'm not gonna pull a misfire race and ruin it) as well as the dual hpfp solution from m18 and co. Everyone beta testing with spool seems happy but I'd be hesitant to buy even without the FUD going on in this thread.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
This also isn't the only DI solution coming out "soon," I'd call em up right now but I'm waiting to hear from another vendor (who hasn't announced anything publicly, and I'm not gonna pull a misfire race and ruin it) as well as the dual hpfp solution from m18 and co. Everyone beta testing with spool seems happy but I'd be hesitant to buy even without the FUD going on in this thread.

The FUD is really uncalled for but it's obvious why it is happening.

It's going to be interesting to see the 2 new HPFP solutions as well as the dual and how they fit into the market. The more options available is a win for the consumers and it will inevitably drive down prices as more companies compete for their business.

Always fun to see the platform evolve and new products keep coming out even though the platform is around 13+ years old. Can't say the same for many other platforms at that age. I would guess this is because how cheap N54 powered cars are and people understand their potential. For under 10k you can have a 600whp n54 powered car. Great bang for your buck.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
No it isnt, as I know of at least 4 other DI-only options that have either been in testing and spoken about publicly (dual S55 cam-driven style pump project), previewed once or twice shortly before being taken down (a vendor solution that isnt talked about much/at all recently from what I've seen), the M18 solution that they've previewed, as well as one other solution.

I can understand being cautious about a product that you dont have much info on, and I know a lot of people arent fans of our HPFP anyway so I dont necessarily blame you for potentially skipping this, but imo it's an excellent solution. Our single HPFPs are higher output than N55/S55 style pumps as it is which I like, and the fact that they've been shown to exponentially increase the amount of flow the faster they spin is an attraction to me, personally. Not that I want to kill this thread but like I said, everyone really should wait for official info before voicing doubts about the Helix.

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
I'll believe it when i see it, cause for know, except brute dual shotgun, nothing really works, certainly not single shotgun...

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Echoing @Panzerfaust, wait until Spool officially releases something. I spoke to them and have one on order. There is a reason they are keeping a low profile....do you blame them for not wanting to be sucked in to all this drama? They haven't even released the damn thing yet.

FUD was due to a vendor seeing competition. Simple. Trying to defend their product, makes sense, but could have been handled differently.

Nonetheless, all the concerns mentioned are valid. However, pros and cons will be different whether you daily your car with the occasional spirited driving, road race car, drag car, etc.

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
Our single HPFPs are higher output than N55/S55 style pumps as it is which I like, and the fact that they've been shown to exponentially increase the amount of flow the faster they spin is an attraction to me, personally. Not that I want to kill this thread but like I said, everyone really should wait for official info before voicing doubts about the Helix.

My stock HPFP falling flat on its face >7000rpm @ 18.x psi on gasoline probably disagrees with your statement above :p

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
My stock HPFP falling flat on its face >7000rpm @ 18.x psi on gasoline probably disagrees with your statement above :p
I meant comparatively- we use one HPFP that can handle a large amount of flow (you still dynod @ 640whp on a car that has 300hp at the crank from factory, yes? With a stock HPFP at that :tonguewink:) with injectors that can also handle a large amount of flow. The F-series and newer N55 is limited big time by its single HPFP and can barely run ethanol blends let alone 100% e85. It takes two N55 HPFPs for an N55 to make FBO-level N54 power, and last I heard the thought was that the S55 uses *two* higher capacity pumps than the N55 uses, they just look very similar on the outside- I have a pdf somewhere showing the different models of Bosch FP that all look the same as the N55 one yet are different models.

I get what you're saying for sure, but our fuel pump is still pretty heavy duty no matter how you slice it. Running it at x amount faster than stock from the shotgun allows up to ~6-650whp on pure e85 iirc, and a double shotgun allows even higher than that as we all know (which only has one pump overdriven, and it still may or may not* be spinning as fast as the Helix). If the solid info some of us have is true, then I 110% stand by my statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torgus

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
There is only one way to test the limit of any pump setup, put it on the car that makes serious power and keep turning it up until it starts to fall on its face.

This will give you an indicator of how much power and how much fuel this setup can handle.

As I stated before the problem with these pumps is not the output but the tiny fuel inlet, spinning it faster isn't going to let more fuel in but will wear the pump more quickly.

Few years ago there was a company that tried to fix this issue but gave up on it, can't remember their name but at one stage they blew the side of the pump out as the only way to increase flow in the low pressure side was to turn it up.

VTT could easily overdrive the pump more if they wanted to, just by changing the pulley size, they must know something we don't.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
There is only one way to test the limit of any pump setup, put it on the car that makes serious power and keep turning it up until it starts to fall on its face.

This will give you an indicator of how much power and how much fuel this setup can handle.

As I stated before the problem with these pumps is not the output but the tiny fuel inlet, spinning it faster isn't going to let more fuel in but will wear the pump more quickly.

-------------

VTT could easily overdrive the pump more if they wanted to, just by changing the pulley size, they must know something we don't.
Like I said, wait for official details to be released before voicing hard doubts. At this point all most people have is a B&W IG picture of part of the product, and a bunch of "hearsay".

As for the VTT thing, yeah they probably could use a smaller pulley in order to spin it faster, or offer a triple setup like they use on their own car (which could also include smaller pulleys?). I think part of the reason for using that size pulley was so the OE belt could be used when it first launched and help with ease of install on a product that takes a good bit of work to install already, but I wouldnt be surprised if they changed the size of the pulley in the future once some more of these solutions come out. The talking down in this thread compared to the amount of info that's publicly available is crazy imo, I dont think I've seen this much left-fielded speculation on a product in a very long time.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
No one is talking down the kit the problem lays with the pump full stop.

Hell you could spin it 10x over but the pump inlet is still the restriction and spinning it faster is not going to solve the issue.

I'm actually looking forward to the Porsche pump results as that's a much bigger pump.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i

Hell you could spin it 10x over but the pump inlet is still the restriction and spinning it faster is not going to solve the issue.

I'm actually looking forward to the Porsche pump results as that's a much bigger pump.
Just like adding any additional fueling to the car, theres more to it than just the one piece of hardware pictured - again, wait for details lol. Yes you'll still likely need an upgraded LPFP setup (I'm already stage 3+ so I dunno) to feed the pump, but just as VTT did testing so has Spool.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
There is nothing you can do to increase flow through the stock pump inlet, its that restrictive no matter how big your lpfp system is unless they modified the pump internal passages in some way.

But lets wait for the details.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2

Porsche pump? Link?