New HPFP Upgrade - SpoolPerformance Helix

kayzrx82

Corporal
Apr 4, 2018
Ride
n54 335i
The piston just expands the bellows. Compared to a piston pump like on an F series or the majority of other DI cars where an actual piston compresses fuel directly.
There is a physical piston moving up and down compressing a hydraulic fluid. This pressure expands the bellows forcing them to expand to displace the fuel. Because it's coupled hydraulically, it needs a spring to assist in returning it back down. It is physically the same as a wobble plate hydraulic pump. The bellow just separates the two fluids because gasoline is not a good enough lubricant to lubricate this style pump. A true bellow pump would have the plunger mechanically coupled to the top plate of the bellow and would not be able to deal with the pressure needed for direct injection. Almost all true bellow pumps are low pressure. The lobe driven pumps you are referring to have very little thrust load on the cylinder wall and do not require that much lubrication. This is why they can get away with directly pumping the fuel.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Completely off-topic but I'd like to add that I know Chris's day job and it is a very well known company that everyone in this thread has heard of. So lets spare each other from the chest thumping about where we work, how big our house is or any of that. Being able to prove points in a polite manner indicates intelligence. Resorting to meaningless insults usually means you ran out of ammunition.

There is a very high probability that many or all of you have very specialized talent or skills that others here don't have. For example, I am not a Tuner. Nor a Tuna. I can't tune. Does this mean I'm incapable? Unintelligent? No, it just means I haven't invested the effort, energy and allocated the time and motivation toward that skill.

We should keep this thread on track or I'll have to start splitting it up. Lets debate, not get irate!

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Interesting to note that the vcv duty cycle doesn't go much above 61%

TSRfast

Lurker
Feb 6, 2018
Ride
335xi
I agree with all of you that the stock DME and injectors and fuel system is not ideal for over 450HP with E85. However, in California we have to have our cars emissions inspected every 2 years. You may get away with a PI system with the stock HPFP... but you still take a risk. they are getting strict.. you cannot have any mods that are obvious to a smog tech. The catless downpipes are hard to get past them. I think the N54 has been flagged in their systems. Last 2x got car tested they went under it with a mirror to look for the primary cats. First guy would not pass it.. 2nd guy looked but did not really know what to look for and passed me. No way you will pass with a aftermarket injection controller. If your only using your e90 for trackdays.. maybe but we have to make things look stock.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
This is the same issue in Australia but cops actually know their job and most know what they are looking at.

Draw any attention to yourself and you get pulled over your bound to get a engine bay inspection and defect.

• Funny
Reactions: Flinchy

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
I agree with all of you that the stock DME and injectors and fuel system is not ideal for over 450HP with E85. However, in California we have to have our cars emissions inspected every 2 years. You may get away with a PI system with the stock HPFP... but you still take a risk. they are getting strict.. you cannot have any mods that are obvious to a smog tech. The catless downpipes are hard to get past them. I think the N54 has been flagged in their systems. Last 2x got car tested they went under it with a mirror to look for the primary cats. First guy would not pass it.. 2nd guy looked but did not really know what to look for and passed me. No way you will pass with a aftermarket injection controller. If your only using your e90 for trackdays.. maybe but we have to make things look stock.

I would have thought cats would be their primary physical item to check? Hard going spotting the PI plates that are mounted on the under side of stock manifolds, with a stock intake filter housing on upgraded twins you'd never see that PI addition. As far as emissions are concerned they are probably mostly concerned with the cats anyway.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Illinois roads is the worst it's ever been this year. Destroyed my ball joints, wheel bearings, and shocks over winter on my F350. All brand new a year prior. Doesn't help we're flat broke with a corrupt government (4 out of the last 8 governors or something went to jail....we know how to pick 'em).

Salt straight up sucks.

TSRfast

Lurker
Feb 6, 2018
Ride
335xi
I would have thought cats would be their primary physical item to check? Hard going spotting the PI plates that are mounted on the under side of stock manifolds, with a stock intake filter housing on upgraded twins you'd never see that PI addition. As far as emissions are concerned they are probably mostly concerned with the cats anyway.

In CA on cars made after 2002 they do not actually test your actual exhaust emissions. They just plug into your OBD2 port and check for any CEL codes and the emissions self checks are passing. Then they do a visual inspection. yes your right that its not likely a PI system would be detected by a smog tech. however, many do know what to look for. And yes they are looking for the cats. I got by on the skin of my teeth, last time. First place he went to look at my down pipes with a mirror and looked up on the OEM BMW parts page for a picture of the stock down pipes and would not pass my car. Next guy did.. but spent a long time looking at turbos and downpipes.

Doing these emissions tests are big business for these shops and the state sends in undercover cars from state regulators with various mods or "booby traps" if the shop does not find the issues. they can have their smog licenses suspended. Also the equipment they use to test the cars is directly linked into the CA DMV computer systems.

The Net of all this.. is yes I am sure we could all get away with some mods they may not find but I would rather not have to take my PI system out every 2 years to smog my car.