New HPFP Upgrade - SpoolPerformance Helix

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Really Chris... please explain why a stock motor car I tuned on single shotgun and E40 maxed out at high 500s whp... max effort tune resulting in under 1000 psi rail pressure on E40.

Stock motor
E content verified with sensor
New oem HPFP

Your claims don't add up.

View attachment 29013
See my above post. I guess you should figure out what is wrong on the setup or tune? That is on you. You do understand how a positive displacement pump works correct? It's not magic, you spin it faster it pumps more fuel, this is not debatable. If you are not getting the flow you have something A. Set up wrong, B. The pump is not receiving enough fuel. Here is a car built for a customer not long ago. 100% stock motor, stock head, GC Lites, 100% E85, Shotgun SB he had, misfires up top that turned out to be injectors. If you search the facebook groups Felipe made close to 700 on one, which we had a hard time believing ourselves, but it was E50 so that made more sense.

Crane Results.jpg

Last edited:

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
See my above post. I guess you should figure out what you did wrong? That is on you. You do understand how a positive displacement pump works correct? It's not magic, you spin it faster it pumps more fuel, this is not debatable.

Yes I know how a PD pump works. I also know my customer's car had more than enough low pressure fuel supply. If you had bothered to even look at the log that would have been evident as fuel pressure is being maintained flat at 65 (really 72 psi due to the 7 psi JB4 LPFP sensor offset) across the entire pull.

Sad thing this is pretty in line with the feedback I've heard when VTT customers have issues they are blamed first when it's evident the hardware is faulty. Blame everyone possible except yourself seems to be the VTT business model.

Exhibit A: turbos
Exhitbit B: shotgun brackets

H3dge

Jul 11, 2019
Ride
Single Turbo E92
I am so glad that as soon as time passes and I start to think about Vargas products in a positive light, I can always count on someone from Vargas shit posting to remind what a group of a holes they are.

No kidding. Just talked with Rob from RB about this the other day when I was looking for a new set of twins. Car eventually shit the bed before my order even completed, but I never even considered Vargas because of the constant behavior on the forums. I know this is N54, but you're a business, have some semblance of class.

Bigfwop

Lurker
Mar 13, 2019
Fort Myers
Ride
e92 335i
A buddy of mine had a shotgun setup which failed "spectacularly" according to his words. Seems to be hit or miss from what I've read but man Tony is constantly re-affirming my opinion on the company.

Last edited:

H3dge

Jul 11, 2019
Ride
Single Turbo E92
I eagerly await the new HPFP from SpoolPerformance. Will this be plug-n-play?

I dont think i'm allowed to say much yet. But i've got one from the pre-release batch on the way to me now. I'll be updating spool with logs and dyno runs here in the next couple days after install. It is not plug and play. There needs to be some tune changes made to adjust the fuel pressure increases and timing.

Reactions: SJ_1989 and Jeffman

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I dont think i'm allowed to say much yet. But i've got one from the pre-release batch on the way to me now. I'll be updating spool with logs and dyno runs here in the next couple days after install. It is not plug and play. There needs to be some tune changes made to adjust the fuel pressure increases and timing.
Awesome, thanks. Please also post the tuning adjustments you will make in your review.
Very exciting!

Last edited:

Bigfwop

Lurker
Mar 13, 2019
Fort Myers
Ride
e92 335i
Following

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi

No NDA no problems :)

Not surprising there's tune adjustment required, but curious to hear what the install is like.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Spool will release info soon and I don't want to speak incorrectly or anything but what @H3dge is getting from the pre-release batch is different than what I'm getting. With that said, mine is also on the way.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Has a single person replicated Tony’s results? Why come in here and throw shade? Stop being that guy Chris. You used to be better than this.
For what it's worth, I run the double barrel shotgun and I max out DI at around 850WHP before starting to lean out. That's when the PI becomes helpful. I never want to depend on PI because if something goes wrong with it the DME will not be able to correct lean condition in time.

H3dge

Jul 11, 2019
Ride
Single Turbo E92
No NDA no problems :)

Not surprising there's tune adjustment required, but curious to hear what the install is like.

I just dont want to step on toes with people I'll for sure be going back to for logging and potential troubleshooting and adjustments. I'll post any logs and dyno info Spool Performance allows. I think they want first dibs on revealing different builds and how they perform with their new upgrade.
That being said, I've seen others already run it, and the install is as simple as installing an HPFP, with a few different bolt on steps for the Helix.

Spool will release info soon and I don't want to speak incorrectly or anything but what @H3dge is getting from the pre-release batch is different than what I'm getting. With that said, mine is also on the way.

I think we may be getting the same batch. I wasn't part of the beta testing, just their latest shipment.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
I have been holding off on a P.I. setup looking for a simpler setup.looking forward to some results on this.just want 600/650rwhp[due to auto trans],want to get rid of my duel cm10 methanol setup as my fuel compensation.car isn't a daily driver so no rush.

• Agree
Reactions: KevinC39

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
For what it's worth, I run the double barrel shotgun and I max out DI at around 850WHP before starting to lean out. That's when the PI becomes helpful. I never want to depend on PI because if something goes wrong with it the DME will not be able to correct lean condition in time.

If this was a real issue my motor would have blown a long time ago. I've been running PI for over 25k miles, well before MHD released the PI safety (coil cut)

Now the point of DI only is mostly moot for high hp builds in my opinion. PI works, is cost effective, and flows stupid amounts of fuel with big injectors.

• Agree
Reactions: tisdrew

LazyMe870

Lurker
May 16, 2018
Ride
335i
Single Barrel user here, and I can confirm the SB is only good for me up to 550Hp, if that.... I'm running a Fuel it 650 LPFP. All fuel lines upgraded, Ethanol Sensor, New HPFP, even took the filter out on the HPFP, Fuel rail was drilled out. So am I missing something? @Chris@VargasTurboTech If i go over 25psi my car starts to misfire, logs show the HPFP tapping out, LPFP looks good tho

Edit- Included a log for you to take a look at. Any help would be appreciated Thanks!.

Attachments

• 2018-06-19 Shotgun 9.csv
    11.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
I think we may be getting the same batch. I wasn't part of the beta testing, just their latest shipment.

Could be. I wasn't involved in the beta testing either. The pic that Spool recently posted isn't what I'm getting though. They told me today mine is different. They can release details. Not going to pull a Misfire Race....

Now the point of DI only is mostly moot for high hp builds in my opinion. PI works, is cost effective, and flows stupid amounts of fuel with big injectors.

I agree if running port only. I run off the philosophy of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). That's why I chose DI only. Personal preference is all.

Reactions: Jeffman and impuls