Nizpro 6HP21 Billet Transmission Internals

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I got a response from Simon today, they say they don't have frictions or steels for sale, and that someone who is very good at assembly will be needed(Likely someone who knows what kind of machining is necessary for plates to fit the baskets?).

Perhaps these billet parts combined with the Propulsive Dynamics Clutches/Steels would be the ultimate built auto?

Nizpro BMW 19/21 ZF Billet input shaft: $1995.00 this is trade pricing and included gst
Nizpro BMW 19/21 ZF Billet intermediate shaft and internal billet E clutch basket: $1995.00 this is trade pricing and included gst 4TH GEAR
Nizpro BMW 19/21 ZF Billet B clutch basket: $ 595.00 this is trade pricing and included gst 3rd and 5th GEAR
Please see attached picture.
Far left input, this is welded on out end into the E drum
Second from left, intermediate shaft again welded on our end to immediate drum { second from right}
Third on left is the B clutch basket that is welded on our to B clutch assemble.
*** On out end means we weld these parts together and give you the assemble.

You will need a direct fit clutch assemble kit, really two of them as with our hardware you can fit more friction and drive plates in each clutch assembly. You may find that some of the steel drive plates will require surfacing to get the correct clutch clearance.

hp21 hardward.JPG

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Who is going to take the plunge and stick the PD clutches in with these parts?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
At what point do you just do a 4l80e. Tons of available parts and $5k gets to 1500+hp with a warranty!

Its a good question. I think some people like the idea of staying with the factory control, especially with xHP. But when you look at the price of these billet parts, its hard not to take a gander.

For those who are in the 700tq range, the clutches/bushes alone should do a fine job of keeping things factory like. Past that, apparently this and the 4L80 are the only options. Can't say these billet parts are described as affordable, after you've put them together with the other things you'll need.

AD-ENG

Corporal
Oct 22, 2016
What factory controls do you lose?

Also, there is a difference between "upgrading parts from breaking" and "upgrading to perform."

Still have no transbrake, no converter options, and no way (currently) to change the tcu strategy. (I.e. lockup shifting)

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
What factory controls do you lose?

Also, there is a difference between "upgrading parts from breaking" and "upgrading to perform."

Still have no transbrake, no converter options, and no way (currently) to change the tcu strategy. (I.e. lockup shifting)

I suppose I can't speak much on the topic of control, as I am not familiar with the TCM being used for the 4L80.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
The clutches and frictions for these baskets are custom size and won't take stock size plates otherwise i would've put them in my trans with PD plates and frictions.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The clutches and frictions for these baskets are custom size and won't take stock size plates otherwise i would've put them in my trans with PD plates and frictions.

I'd think they would work with some modification, no? Simon seemed to think so.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
No, he had his own made specifically for his baskets. I was going to purchase an input shaft and basket from him for my trany but when i found out i couldn't use PD's clutches and frictions (or stock ones) I opted out. If he only made the baskets able to to fit stock size plates and frictions they would sell fast.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
No, he had his own made specifically for his baskets. I was going to purchase an input shaft and basket from him for my trany but when i found out i couldn't use PD's clutches and frictions (or stock ones) I opted out. If he only made the baskets able to to fit stock size plates and frictions they would sell fast.

This is a quote from Simon I just received after mentioning your position:

Our parts have the exact same drive as standard parts so our plates, std plates of PD plates will fit. As mentioned below you may need to order more than one clutch kit form them so you can stack extra plates in our drum and baskets, you may as mentioned below need to surface the steel plates to get the correct clutch clearances

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Well that's not what he said to me when i spoke to him. Let me check my emails with him... But if that is true it's good news

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Ok found it. Simon said quote "Yes we were able to get two added plates into E, we are not using standard plates and our ones are a little thinner but only about 8 thou from memory. The production baskets wont except standard plates either." end quote

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
We have this hardware sitting in a car just waiting for another engine. I'd really like to see how the nizpro hardware matches up to the current tranny software. Although I'm also curious to see Andy's solution in action. As for me? I'm a slowboat 6MT so I'm not winning any races lol.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Ok found it. Simon said quote "Yes we were able to get two added plates into E, we are not using standard plates and our ones are a little thinner but only about 8 thou from memory. The production baskets wont except standard plates either." end quote

Well, he admits that some surfacing will need done and stresses that someone skilled with transmissions would need to do the work. So the plates need machined, that is what I'm taking from this.

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
Our plates are not standard thickness either, hence the added plate counts in each basket. It is true that you can use our clutches in their baskets with some machining of the END plates (not the steels themselves) and/or the clutch piston head itself (which we are already doing now case-by-case with PD units).

However, as I've mentioned before, my main concern with this is adding plate counts that exceeds the stock OAT (stack-up). This could induce clutch bind, which could adversely affect DD drivability. That might not be of concern to someone building a purpose-built track car but the DD guys might notice a change in shift quality. Again, our primary goal with this upgrade was to target the 90%+ of the platform that just wanted the ~30% increased power capacity and reliability at the power level we rated this for while keeping the overall cost low for the average customer. Extreme racing applications carry a higher price tag of course, which is what Nizpro specializes in.

Either way, I'd be happy to team up with Simon to see how a collaboration of our hardware would actually work out in real-world application since my long-shot theory would be that we could tune some of the unclamping delay out during the dyno calibration session. Just my $.02

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 08_335i
Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
I believe we have the only one of these built by Nizpro. If it doesn't work out I'll prob go 4L for the race car. But so far the only person I know running one has not got it working properly, and is having to spend more money to get it working. As for losing features, yes you lose paddle control amoung other things, but if you are at the stage of wanting a 4L. You wot't mind

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Plenty of shop he in oz will build you a 1500hp 480le for 5k USD or 8.5k AUD

9.5k usd is laughable, must be billet internals which would be 2k hp plus for that price.