OFFICIAL VTT STAGE 2/2+ RELEASE/INTRO PRICING THREAD

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Very happy to announce the New & Improved VTT Stage 2 and 2+ Turbos!

While our new Stage 2 and Stage 2+ turbos have been for sale for a little while, we thought we'd do an official post about them and offer group buy/intro pricing to the first 25 individuals using the code VTTSTG2GB. This is first come first served, once the code is used the full amount of times it is disabled. Let's get into the details:

VTT Stage 2 and Stage 2+: Building on the past
Our original stage 2 and stage 2+ turbos were known for being work horses; even though they were released when tuning wasn't as advanced as it is today, we had excellent customer provided dynos from 550 whp daily drivers all the way up to 700 whp. Recognizing the stock exhaust manifold was a significant bottleneck, we released the GC family to alleviate those concerns; problem solved. As awesome as the GC's are, they aren't in everyone's budget. Our new Stage 2 and Stage 2+ offerings are the next step forward in output and tuning potential while remaining more wallet friendly. Read on to see what we've done.

They're all new
Not a used, reworked turbo, the new VTT Stage 2 and Stage 2+ offerings are brand new to you; they utilize a cast one piece N54 manifold (see below for why that's awesome) and our own custom compressor and turbine combinations. Core charge? Done. Want to keep your stock ones? Go ahead, throw them in a box and hold on to them if you want to ever return the car to stock and sell it. We don't use cores for these any more. Brand new product, less money out of your pocket. Win-win.

A better design starts in the manifold

manis.JPG

All current stock frame turbo manifolds choke down to a very tight 1.25” diameter passageway before entering the turbo housing. We found this to be a significant bottleneck at about the 700 whp mark give or take a little, depending on how much you like tons of backpressure in your system. Not going to make 700 whp? It's still a problem; greater backpressure means your engine breaths less easily, making you have to run higher boost for a given power level. Our new Stage 2 and 2+ are new (did we mention new?), fully cast housings that open that diameter up from 1.25” to 1.30”, which is a 5 % increase in area. They breath a little easier which helps eliminate excessive back pressure.

Picking the Right Compressor

Compressor.jpg

The stage 2 units have a very versatile and high flowing 16T compressor. The Stage 2+ utilize our own proprietary compressor that allows for a little extra airflow over the Stage 2 while keeping spool characteristics spot on for daily driving. Check out a closer view of the Stage 2 below:

stage2wheel.jpg

Highly Efficient Turbines

Turbine Comparison.jpg

Having a new fully cast manifold that outflows the stock variants won't do you a lot of good if you cram an old outdated turbine wheel in there. Both our Stage 2 and Stage 2+ utilize a 9 blade TD04L turbine modeled after the extremely efficient Garrett GT series turbines.

How to choose which one is right for you
It's very simple. If you want up to about 600 whp on a stock motor/head; choose the stage 2. If you want up to about 650 whp on a stock motor/head, we recommend Stage 2+. Have a peculiar situation or want our input? Email me and let's start a dialog about how you use the car, fuel, response needs, etc. and we'll get you squared away.

Stage 2+ Results:

As expected, these perform. Results shown below are on a stock motor, stock head, 100% E85, with peak boost being 26 psi per MHD, and closer to 24 psi actual (MHD reads high). Timing target was 9*. Note that this is down in power; puzzled we did a compression check and got these results from this lovely tired old motor that came to us with a slight miss during idle:

#1: 120 psi
#2: 165 psi
#3: 95 psi
#4: 160 psi
#5: 135 psi
#6: 160 psi

So you see this was not a healthy motor at all; cylinder 3 is down over 40%! So all in all, not bad. This is not indicative of the capability of the new 2+ turbos when properly set up and on a healthy motor; the turbos had a LOT left in them, but out of respect for the owner of the already-tired motor, we stopped trying to get more power.

Stage 2 Results.jpg

To that end, the first Re-released Stage 2 owner (i.e. not the old stage 2 or 2+) that posts a results thread with legitimate dyno that's 600 whp or greater gets a $100 back from us as a tip of the hat. Same story for the re-released Stage 2+, except the power number to shoot for is 650 whp in order for us to give you $100 back. (Note: If you think you're the guy to do that, email me, [email protected] and I'll check it all out, make sure it's legit/you're the first, and get you the money!)

Intro Pricing/Group Buy:
I know we said we were going to do a group buy, but we came up with something better; intro pricing for the first 25 sets using a simple code on the website. Price is good until that number (25) is sold, enter code VTTSTG2GB into the website and you'll be good to go.

With the code, here are the numbers:

Stage 2's: Regular Price: $1999 Intro Price: $1799

Stage 2+'s: Regular Price: $2199 Intro Price: $1999

These need inlets; pick up ours for $100 with turbo purchase. (For first 25 only)
Stock outlet (hot side charge pipe) will work, but if you want ours, it's $100 extra.

There is not a better deal on the N54 market for power per dollar, nor does anyone offer all new units at this time except VTT.

Lead Times:

We have parts in stock, right now as your eyes are reading these words, to build 15 sets. Those will ship within 2-3 weeks from order. For the last 10 GB sets looking at 30-day lead.

That's it! Enjoy, we're looking forward to seeing results for these out on the streets.

Chris

Last edited:

UKThreeThreeFive

Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Hi Chris,
How do the bearing housings compare to stock? Are they still using the same sized bearing housing and shaft thickness as TD03?
Do you have any pictures of the full turbo?
As asked above, do you have these for RHD too?

Thanks

Zhelyazkov

Private
Jun 23, 2017
Bulgaria
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
Hey Chris, I've been waiting for this for quite the time now!! On the site when I apply the code it says it is not valid?? Am I too late?!?

UKThreeThreeFive

Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I see the same thing so either it isn't working or they've been snapped up in a few hours:

Warning: Coupon is either invalid, expired or reached its usage limit!

Reactions: Zhelyazkov
Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
I can answer some questions. These will 100% fit RHD, direct bolt on, BUT we are still waiting for the rear compressor housings for the RHD to come in. Prob another 3 weeks or so. So if you want to get in on the group buy, grab them now, choose RHD as your model, and as soon as the housings come in, they will ship.

For the code, that's my fault, I had typed it in wrong on the website. Its fixed now, and is active!

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Also here are some more pictures, we will have more professional ones done, but I snapped a few for you guys this morning.

The compressor housings are cast for us, then laser engraved, these are not available anywhere else, we had them done with a 2" inlet with a bead on it to keep the those inlets on! We know people had problems with them coming off in the past.

IMG_2702.JPG IMG_2703.JPG IMG_2704.JPG IMG_2705.JPG IMG_2706.JPG IMG_2707.JPG

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Been on the site for months now. They are in all the all products section, the All BMW Section, the N54 section. Pretty hard to miss them.

Keep in mind, the pictures on the website, are still for the old versions, we do not even make those anymore. Just have not had time to get the professional photos done yet.

Reactions: doublespaces

jnelly335i

May 4, 2017
Ride
07 335I
Ok that's what was confusing me. And the fact that it still says new stage 2 and stage 2+ coming soon

jnelly335i

May 4, 2017
Ride
07 335I
Think the product page needs to be updated. Purchasing something under a discription that doesn't match up is going to be our fault if something's not correct with the order

titium

Private
Nov 8, 2016
Australia
Very happy to announce the New & Improved VTT Stage 2 and 2+ Turbos!

While our new Stage 2 and Stage 2+ turbos have been for sale for a little while, we thought we'd do an official post about them and offer group buy/intro pricing to the first 25 individuals using the code VTTSTG2GB. This is first come first served, once the code is used the full amount of times it is disabled. Let's get into the details:

VTT Stage 2 and Stage 2+: Building on the past
Our original stage 2 and stage 2+ turbos were known for being work horses; even though they were released when tuning wasn't as advanced as it is today, we had excellent customer provided dynos from 550 whp daily drivers all the way up to 700 whp. Recognizing the stock exhaust manifold was a significant bottleneck, we released the GC family to alleviate those concerns; problem solved. As awesome as the GC's are, they aren't in everyone's budget. Our new Stage 2 and Stage 2+ offerings are the next step forward in output and tuning potential while remaining more wallet friendly. Read on to see what we've done.

They're all new
Not a used, reworked turbo, the new VTT Stage 2 and Stage 2+ offerings are brand new to you; they utilize a cast one piece N54 manifold (see below for why that's awesome) and our own custom compressor and turbine combinations. Core charge? Done. Want to keep your stock ones? Go ahead, throw them in a box and hold on to them if you want to ever return the car to stock and sell it. We don't use cores for these any more. Brand new product, less money out of your pocket. Win-win.

A better design starts in the manifold

View attachment 4345

All current stock frame turbo manifolds choke down to a very tight 1.25” diameter passageway before entering the turbo housing. We found this to be a significant bottleneck at about the 700 whp mark give or take a little, depending on how much you like tons of backpressure in your system. Not going to make 700 whp? It's still a problem; greater backpressure means your engine breaths less easily, making you have to run higher boost for a given power level. Our new Stage 2 and 2+ are new (did we mention new?), fully cast housings that open that diameter up from 1.25” to 1.30”, which is a 5 % increase in area. They breath a little easier which helps eliminate excessive back pressure.

Picking the Right Compressor

View attachment 4341

The stage 2 units have a very versatile and high flowing 16T compressor. The Stage 2+ utilize our own proprietary compressor that allows for a little extra airflow over the Stage 2 while keeping spool characteristics spot on for daily driving. Check out a closer view of the Stage 2 below:

View attachment 4342

Highly Efficient Turbines

View attachment 4343

Having a new fully cast manifold that outflows the stock variants won't do you a lot of good if you cram an old outdated turbine wheel in there. Both our Stage 2 and Stage 2+ utilize a 9 blade TD04L turbine modeled after the extremely efficient Garrett GT series turbines.

How to choose which one is right for you
It's very simple. If you want up to about 600 whp on a stock motor/head; choose the stage 2. If you want up to about 650 whp on a stock motor/head, we recommend Stage 2+. Have a peculiar situation or want our input? Email me and let's start a dialog about how you use the car, fuel, response needs, etc. and we'll get you squared away.

Stage 2+ Results:

As expected, these perform. Results shown below are on a stock motor, stock head, 100% E85, with peak boost being 26 psi per MHD, and closer to 24 psi actual (MHD reads high). Timing target was 9*. Note that this is down in power; puzzled we did a compression check and got these results from this lovely tired old motor that came to us with a slight miss during idle:

#1: 120 psi
#2: 165 psi
#3: 95 psi
#4: 160 psi
#5: 135 psi
#6: 160 psi

So you see this was not a healthy motor at all; cylinder 3 is down over 40%! So all in all, not bad. This is not indicative of the capability of the new 2+ turbos when properly set up and on a healthy motor; the turbos had a LOT left in them, but out of respect for the owner of the already-tired motor, we stopped trying to get more power.

View attachment 4344

To that end, the first Re-released Stage 2 owner (i.e. not the old stage 2 or 2+) that posts a results thread with legitimate dyno that's 600 whp or greater gets a $100 back from us as a tip of the hat. Same story for the re-released Stage 2+, except the power number to shoot for is 650 whp in order for us to give you $100 back. (Note: If you think you're the guy to do that, email me, [email protected] and I'll check it all out, make sure it's legit/you're the first, and get you the money!)

Intro Pricing/Group Buy:
I know we said we were going to do a group buy, but we came up with something better; intro pricing for the first 25 sets using a simple code on the website. Price is good until that number (25) is sold, enter code VTTSTG2GB into the website and you'll be good to go.

With the code, here are the numbers:

Stage 2's: Regular Price: $1999 Intro Price: $1799

Stage 2+'s: Regular Price: $2199 Intro Price: $1999

These need inlets; pick up ours for $100 with turbo purchase. (For first 25 only)
Stock outlet (hot side charge pipe) will work, but if you want ours, it's $100 extra.

There is not a better deal on the N54 market for power per dollar, nor does anyone offer all new units at this time except VTT.

Lead Times:

We have parts in stock, right now as your eyes are reading these words, to build 15 sets. Those will ship within 2-3 weeks from order. For the last 10 GB sets looking at 30-day lead.

That's it! Enjoy, we're looking forward to seeing results for these out on the streets.

Chris

Could have sworn this said 44% increase in surface area for the manifold neck.... Actually no it definitely did as I did the calcs to confirm it was correct when it was first posted.

Why's this changed?

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Could have sworn this said 44% increase in surface area for the manifold neck.... Actually no it definitely did as I did the calcs to confirm it was correct when it was first posted.

Why's this changed?

You are correct and this is 100% my fault. I got my numbers mixed up with another project we're working on and they were flat out wrong. The GC's are 1.50", these are a little bigger that stock but not by much. They're essentially a very well priced stock frame offering for 600 whp on a budget. I apologize for my mistake. :(

Flinchy

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Australia
You are correct and this is 100% my fault. I got my numbers mixed up with another project we're working on and they were flat out wrong. The GC's are 1.50", these are a little bigger that stock but not by much. They're essentially a very well priced stock frame offering for 600 whp on a budget. I apologize for my mistake. :(
Why didn't you opt for larger? The flow surely wouldn't have hurt anything, and the stock Mani has such a huge air gap so plenty of space?

Also, it's 8.1% more area yo. No need to sell yourself short haha

Last edited: