Okada Coil Testing (Snake Oil or Real Deal?)

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
I bought these coils based on a documented test that showed significant performance improvements - and when I installed them while tuning with Ken at Wedge Performance, I noticed an immediate improvement in power delivery and zero misfires. This is after replacing my stock new oe coils.

That being said, after these go bad...and they will - I will give Precision Raceworks coil set a try to see if there are truly any differences. I don't know why Robert did not find any difference between the oe and okada coil I supplied, but I won't discount his process...at the same time, I did and still do notice a significant improvement from stock coils.
I am a person who knows every change at any time when it comes to my car.

Yeah the Okada coils aren't bad, just like OEM aren't "bad" hell they make over 800whp somehow. The Okada simply don't live up to their marketing claims, not the way the claims are presented, not at all. Not even close. I think their marketing was written by somebody who just Google'd ignition buzzwords. They seem like quality Bosch units, for better or worse. At least they aren't Chinese made parts store pieces. It's just too bad they demand such a premium for misleading advertisement.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
As per their claims on the e9x coils:

"The IP Coils are the ignition coil with a high power amplifier built in to it. The IP Coils produce 4 times more spark energy than stock coils and also generate an ultra fast multi spark discharge of 10 sparks up to highest RPM. The spark amperage is increased 100%, allowing the spark to reach many more molecules and therefore accelerate the ignition and combustion process. This is extremely important in forced induction applications but also improves the performance of normally aspirated engines."

Now, Rob tested these and he and I saw no difference between the OE vs. Okada/IP coils...so it appeareth that we do have a class action lawsuit that would be valid in court. Unless they clarify what they mean...the coils certainly do not show even 1x more spark energy, let alone 4x.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Thanks for the follow-up.
Two questions:
1. Any chance the coils tested by Rob were actually cheap knock-offs of "real Okada" coils?
2. Assuming all the Okada's are genuine from Okada, how many sets have been produced and sold?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Thanks for the follow-up.
Two questions:
1. Any chance the coils tested by Rob were actually cheap knock-offs of "real Okada" coils?
2. Assuming all the Okada's are genuine from Okada, how many sets have been produced and sold?
1. No chance...ordered direct from them.
2. No idea.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
If you guys want a class action you're gonna need much more than what's here. And it'll likely not be very gratifying in the end.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I know okada also makes theses coils under their other company "ignition products" or "IP coils" maybe that has something to do with it?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
If you guys want a class action you're gonna need much more than what's here. And it'll likely not be very gratifying in the end.

Class action does nothing other than put a company out of business or change their sales tactics. Unless, people really enjoy receiving checks for $2.00 a year later after providing lots of information.