Passive/Active Cooling for Hotside Inlets

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Yes I understand end temp will not change much if you place those specific variables in a test tube but that isnt how the world works. I just am not looking to beat a dead horse argument. But here goes nothing since you directly asked me. I understand that if the air was sitting in the turbo and fmic for a period of time long enough that all heat transfers "which it isnt" but say it does . You still are not taking into acount that you lose psi as your fmic cools ,yes I know the turbos will then compensate with more boost since boost is measured after the fmic but you are pushing the turbos further out of efficiency range if they are stock. You are also decreasing their efficiency by having less dense air enter the turbo to begin with. That's why people run volute injection and pre turbo injection on so many platforms ,ESP when turbo life doesnt matter. Why do you think BMW ran cai from factory. Yea time and time again it's been proven flow is greater than temp when comes to making power. 2 things though, that doesnt mean temp loses affect it just isnt as big and also when temp can alter flow by increasing efficiency of turbo then yes it will . As much as meth will help iat it wont help lower shaft speed. I have an ade 650 and my temps are within 10 degrees of ambient during normal driving they drop to close to ambient as soon as I go wot but In traffic I heat soak badly ,that is my honest main concern but all the above is just a benefit.
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38024 have you looked at this thread? I'm planning on something similar, I already have the 335d "suction hood" and have noticed a significant decrease in IATs, haven't done any specific heat shielding for the filters yet though. My plan is to do the heat shielding and then eventually use some of the HARD Motorsports ducting/piping to put even more flow over there, but I agree with the general sentiment that those of us with outside inlets just won't see temps close to the same as before unfortunately. Itll only get so good unless someone does some serious development for a cold air intake for hotside inlets, which I'm not holding my breath on.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38024 have you looked at this thread? I'm planning on something similar, I already have the 335d "suction hood" and have noticed a significant decrease in IATs, haven't done any specific heat shielding for the filters yet though. My plan is to do the heat shielding and then eventually use some of the HARD Motorsports ducting/piping to put even more flow over there, but I agree with the general sentiment that those of us with outside inlets just won't see temps close to the same as before unfortunately. Itll only get so good unless someone does some serious development for a cold air intake for hotside inlets, which I'm not holding my breath on.
I didn't but I found a place that has different types of self sticking wraps and blankets rated from 800 to 2000 degrees with their performance rating and some look like CF pr just nice pleated aluminum color ,but that was my original plan something like that and then just have it seal to hood. Now I'm thinking of modifying the atm intake or even just using as a template to have a box and go mr 5 style if it seems to restrictive by sealing that area off.

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
To the OP, ducting/heat shielding is appropriate for ensuring a good air supply at-speed. I think that all of the relevant ideas have been covered. Do not concern yourself with an active cooling system to change idle IATs.

To the people saying that induction temperature does not matter and that you can cool it later, you are missing the point. A gas turbine's mass flow rate will fluctuate based on the density of the supply gas.

http://www.jmcampbell.com/tip-of-th...weight-on-centrifugal-compressor-performance/

And here we see the effect of temperature on the density on the supply gas at ambient pressure:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-temperature-pressure-density-d_771.html
upload_2018-10-16_21-36-43.png

By all means, buy a great intercooler, insulate as appropriate, spray meth into the intake in addition to feeding the turbines with the highest quality air supply possible.

• Agree
Reactions: The Convert

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
To the OP, ducting/heat shielding is appropriate for ensuring a good air supply at-speed. I think that all of the relevant ideas have been covered. Do not concern yourself with an active cooling system to change idle IATs.

To the people saying that induction temperature does not matter and that you can cool it later, you are missing the point. A gas turbine's mass flow rate will fluctuate based on the density of the supply gas.

http://www.jmcampbell.com/tip-of-th...weight-on-centrifugal-compressor-performance/

And here we see the effect of temperature on the density on the supply gas at ambient pressure:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-temperature-pressure-density-d_771.html
View attachment 16580

By all means, buy a great intercooler, insulate as appropriate, spray meth into the intake in addition to feeding the turbines with the highest quality air supply possible.
Refreshing to get an intelligent response , way better than yo don't waste yo time turbos are to hot to be cool plus you cool da air then why you got a intermacooler

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I didn't but I found a place that has different types of self sticking wraps and blankets rated from 800 to 2000 degrees with their performance rating and some look like CF pr just nice pleated aluminum color ,but that was my original plan something like that and then just have it seal to hood. Now I'm thinking of modifying the atm intake or even just using as a template to have a box and go mr 5 style if it seems to restrictive by sealing that area off.
Yeah, I'm debating between getting some sort of (solid) heat shield or just using a large blanket-style reflective shielding around the area of the filters. Obviously a combo would be best but I'm not too sure that the effort:reward ratio would be worth fabbing up something like that.

Between my 335d scoop and intercooler (plus my current shielding) I only see roughly 12-14° above ambient while moving as it is - and it drops heavily while WOT.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Yeah, I'm debating between getting some sort of (solid) heat shield or just using a large blanket-style reflective shielding around the area of the filters. Obviously a combo would be best but I'm not too sure that the effort:reward ratio would be worth fabbing up something like that.

Between my 335d scoop and intercooler (plus my current shielding) I only see roughly 12-14° above ambient while moving as it is - and it drops heavily while WOT.
The air box has set of benefits but isolation could be great to, similar to rb heat shield and going further cause fuck that shit gets hot. I lost my finger prints just taking engine cover off 30 min after slow driving. Theirs alot of heat that rises through their when their isn't airflow. Makes me think my cts cap is raising oil temps not lowering probably wasting 2 decals of cooling

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
The air box has set of benefits but isolation could be great to, similar to rb heat shield and going further cause fuck that shit gets hot. I lost my finger prints just taking engine cover off 30 min after slow driving. Theirs alot of heat that rises through their when their isn't airflow. Makes me think my cts cap is raising oil temps not lowering probably wasting 2 decals of cooling
My shop used a lot of heat isolating material on my PSP outlets (which already run a bit further away from the mani than most) and enough on my inlets that it's not that much of an issue for me personally to remove the filters etc after driving, but yes a sealed box would obviously have it's own benefits.

I personally wouldn't want a completely sealed box unless it had way more than the regular snorkel sized inlets for it, but that's just me - I'm mostly satisfied with my IATs and WGDC since getting the 335d scoop.

My apologies if you mentioned it already, but what all do you have around your inlets right now, @Rob09msport ?