People running the PR ignition set

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
So how come people cant gap wider without issue ? Fueling issue causing misfires and people assume its just the wider gap ???

Lots of people have issues with engaging the wires fully, the PR checkbox is waiting on MHD to update it with more dwell, and generally you can. People who were running .017" are running .022" now, at 900wtq that's no small achievement in gap. But no, they won't reliably do .031" there, didn't design them to, didn't foresee a gap war. Focused on energy and spark duration with a modest voltage increase. Could have made them higher turn ratio sure, I think it's unnecessary though. Everything comes at a cost, higher voltage would have lowered energy. Didn't want to raise current draw any more than we have due to wiring.

Any personal preference on the Audi coils vs these ? Also, why would you choose one over the other. Thanks in advance as Im looking to make a purchase but on the fence of which route to take.

I like the one I helped design but both kits are good. BL is more user friendly, PR is more involved. It's kinda balanced out by the fact the PR setup are pretty much bricks that take tons of abuse, aside from dead shorting them they are hard to kill. Audi coils blow more often but are cheap and easy to replace. Pick a color and don't worry too much about the details.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Lots of people have issues with engaging the wires fully, the PR checkbox is waiting on MHD to update it with more dwell, and generally you can. People who were running .017" are running .022" now, at 900wtq that's no small achievement in gap. But no, they won't reliably do .031" there, didn't design them to, didn't foresee a gap war. Focused on energy and spark duration with a modest voltage increase. Could have made them higher turn ratio sure, I think it's unnecessary though. Everything comes at a cost, higher voltage would have lowered energy. Didn't want to raise current draw any more than we have due to wiring.

I like the one I helped design but both kits are good. BL is more user friendly, PR is more involved. It's kinda balanced out by the fact the PR setup are pretty much bricks that take tons of abuse, aside from dead shorting them they are hard to kill. Audi coils blow more often but are cheap and easy to replace. Pick a color and don't worry too much about the details.
Thank you for the detailed response. Its not about just plug gap, but also design, fit, longevity, etc.
Question, if people are having issues because of wire fitment / engaging, why have they not been redesigned ?

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Thank you for the detailed response. Its not about just plug gap, but also design, fit, longevity, etc.
Question, if people are having issues because of wire fitment / engaging, why have they not been redesigned ?

So we're moving to the full boot design to help with this, if it's still an issue may make our own boot. It's not a big problem, just the most common one.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
So we're moving to the full boot design to help with this, if it's still an issue may make our own boot. It's not a big problem, just the most common one.
When will this be available ? I really want to make the jump but cant stand purchasing when things still have bugs to be worked out.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Redesign the PR coils to be full boot more like OE and ill be first in line to buy. Been holding off because of that.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I bought bimmerlife, in significant part, because of that. So good move in my book.

Filippo

Reactions: STE92