PI controller pro's & Con's comparison: JB4 PI vs split 6

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
You can control a 2nd fuel pump with the JB4, unless you are using the extra JB4 high current output for the 2STEP/NLS relay, in which case then you need a Hobbs switch. We'll be adding a high current output to the BMS PI controller at some point soon to trigger a second pump. We need it to trigger the meth pumps for direct injection meth anyway.

I assume you mean port injected meth?

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
Bump an old thread - any updates or progress for PI controllers?

I am starting a ST build planned for 800+ whp and need to make a decision for PI controller. This thread doesn't really alleviate my suspicion that we don't have a truly tested and trusted controller for PI....

• Agree
Reactions: The Banshee

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Not sure what's all this talk about an AIC6 not being trusted. If you hooked it up right, and your tuner has the fuel map correct for both DI and PI, it should achieve target AFRs without fail. At least, that's been my experience at 30 psi on e85 flash only.

The only time I had an issue was when I put a bad switch into the AIC6 ground wire (for turning off PI when running pump gas). A quality toggle switch fixed that problem.

Not keeping your foot in it when it misfires or acts up is common sense TBH. Do that and you'll be fine.

Reactions: ccbsecu

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
If you are running a jb4 already just use that, no need to add stuff.

If your running mhd only get a haltech, you are going to need a boost controller for the single anyway which the haltech can do it also can control your secondary pump.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
If you are running a jb4 already just use that, no need to add stuff.

If your running mhd only get a haltech, you are going to need a boost controller for the single anyway which the haltech can do it also can control your secondary pump.

Which Haltech? the PS1000 that ADE offers with their PI kit?

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
Bump an old thread - any updates or progress for PI controllers?

I am starting a ST build planned for 800+ whp and need to make a decision for PI controller. This thread doesn't really alleviate my suspicion that we don't have a truly tested and trusted controller for PI....

The best option is syvecs but its expensive lol

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
That's what I'm currently running yes, but if I where to do it again Id get th ps2000

Why's that? The 1000 gets you semi sequential, o2 feedback, fuel indexing off all kinds of things like barometric and egt, can run a second lpfp, and can control boost.

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Why's that? The 1000 gets you semi sequential, o2 feedback, fuel indexing off all kinds of things like barometric and egt, can run a second lpfp, and can control boost.
The way you wire the fuel is 3 injectors fire at one time due to the 1000 being ment for a 4cyl it doesn't have enough injector outputs to wire each injector individually and get the injectors dialed in on exact piston movement. For the avg person this is no problem. Plus the 2000 can do all of that as well. So all in all the 1000 works but if you want to fine tune each injector firing individually a 2000 will be needed

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
The way you wire the fuel is 3 injectors fire at one time due to the 1000 being ment for a 4cyl it doesn't have enough injector outputs to wire each injector individually and get the injectors dialed in on exact piston movement. For the avg person this is no problem. Plus the 2000 can do all of that as well. So all in all the 1000 works but if you want to fine tune each injector firing individually a 2000 will be needed

The 1000 can do semi seq which is 3 banks of 2, firing every 180*, which is better than the AIC (1 bank of 6), AIC2 (2 banks of 3), but definitely not sequential. I think the biggest bonus of full seq would be safety systems but so far none exist. A 2000 is a very nice controller.

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
The 1000 can do semi seq which is 3 banks of 2, firing every 180*, which is better than the AIC (1 bank of 6), AIC2 (2 banks of 3), but definitely not sequential. I think the biggest bonus of full seq would be safety systems but so far none exist. A 2000 is a very nice controller.
Yep exactly what I was getting at, with the 2000 you can do seq but you will need to tap the cam sensor as well to do it and a couple other things. Doable yes pain in the add to do it yes, but would be worth it. I haven't done cuz I not want to buy another haltech when I can save up more $ and invest in a syvecs

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
The Platinum Sport series is the old generation. Elite has been around for at least a year. Elite 750 is the way to go for 6 cylinder sequential injection and it costs the same as the PS1000 did.

Reactions: tisdrew

laurean

Apr 24, 2018
Ride
bmw n54 single turbo pt6466
hello good night guys I was reading this thread and the truth is that I'm so confused and over I'm from Argentina and I'm not getting along with it I'm going crazy I was connecting my second split aic1 and when I start it goes a lot of fuel and I can not control it Now even if I disconnect the rpm cable and the map (yellow and green cable) the car starts perfectly without problems, I was watching and what it does is send me a noise on the map cable and in this case it is at 8psi the dme if I disconnect the cables works well and I dial 0psi regulating someone could give me a hand? I'm completely lost

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Whatever Jake adds in the MHD is active when using MHD to load a back end flash map. I'm not sure if they've added anything, but I saw a post about testing cutting power to the coils when a misfire crops up, so that sounds like a good move.

The JB4 cuts PI if fueling switches to open loop or AFR goes lean, both of which happen following a misfire.

In terms of this being an issue at all, I've yet to come across a blown motor that was likely caused by PI not cutting off fast enough during a misfire. I think the whole scare came about from a tuner blaming PI for a blown motor when it was probably knock desensitization or misfire detection disabled instead. e.g. a red herring.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
So a bit of an update, I'm single turbo now and was (unfortunately) forced to install a JB4 as it is currently the most reliable boost controller with some measure of integration for single turbo (idc what Motiv has to say about the boost box, in its current iteration I don't trust it).

I'm still using the AIC6 wired flash only, my fuel trims look much better than the logs from cars running JB4 integrated everything. I'm hitting 12.5 AFR target as written in the BEF with trims in the 15-35 neighborhood (STFT +/- 15%) vs. the logs I've seen from cars running the BMS controller where the fueling is way rich and trims pegged at 0 (-33% STFT).

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
IDK why people are giving Motiv grief about the boost box. Its a simple feq converter. If the DME doesn't put out the correct signal its not going to work. Literally every time my boost box stop working was because of another part failing i.e volt regulator, alt dying or anything that will kick the DME into safe mode will cause the boost box not to work but anyway go with what your Tuner advise you to go with. Chris is my tuner so i just use the AIC6 but if your a jb4 guy then it might be better to use the JB4 controller for easier integration.