Plugs (95770 v. 97506), gaps, and the N54

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Any of you guys try indexing the plugs to see if there's a difference with timing corrections?
In my personal experience running the 2 step colder NGKs, e60, OE R8 GTS coils, and upgraded turbos, the gap actually helped with timing pulls too. I didnt have any misfires at .024 or .025, but would get more post-shift timing pulls.

Jake @ MOTIV recommends just going straight to .022 rather than fucking with the gap for an extra MPG and potential 2hp and since hes my tuner that's what I eventually did - I now almost never get timing pulls for whatever reason.

Also never have or had running, idling or cold starting issues despite the small gap - probably due to the coils I'd imagine. I upgraded the coils and plugs at the same time right before doing the new turbos, but was still on an e50 blend and FBO at the time but got away with OE plugs and Bosch coils to similar effect, but the car ran much smoother regardless after doing the coil upgrade.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
My tuner also recommends 0.022" ... seems that folks have landed on this being a reliable compromise.

Filippo

Reactions: Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I only run the OEM coils on our cars, but I second the 0.022" gap for virtually all applications. Those pushing 800whp+ we normally go to 0.020".
That's actually pretty interesting to me for some reason- I figured you guys would have upgraded coils on your R&D car at least but I do think most people upgrade coils way too early. I never tried running any NGKs or plugs that needed gapped at all while on stock ignition system but as I said I had 0 issues with full OE parts (Bosch coils at that!) even while FBO+ on e60.

The upgrades have some obvious benefits for some of us running high ethanol or the larger turbo options (6466+/MMP 1K or S3/GC or GC Lites imo) but the amount of people on FB that I see asking if they should go BL or PR when all they have is your DCI and a chargepipe/BOV is crazy imo. I think that's a carry over from people coming to the platform from other boosted cars.
My tuner also recommends 0.022" ... seems that folks have landed on this being a reliable compromise.

Filippo
Yep, it seems like the best middle ground without having to worry about anything at all imo. Definitely a good compromise I think, not worth it to fuck with that when we have things like the PCV system that could actually benefit from constant little tweaks imo.

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
I only run the OEM coils on our cars, but I second the 0.022" gap for virtually all applications. Those pushing 800whp+ we normally go to 0.020".

I'm at .018" runs like a champ. OEM coils and 2 step colder plugs.

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
FWIW, I"m now running S55 coils and .022" gap on my single turbo N54.

Neil

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Honestly I think OEM coils are fine for anybody on stock turbo's. Upgraded turbo's it sort of depends on the situation. If you never drive the car and keep everything perfect I think you can get away with OEM just fine still if you want to, but you do give up some power in the midrange.

No idea why coil upgrades cause issues for the guys at BMS, they always claim phantom timing corrections with them. It's not been my experience tuning people on JB4 with BL or PR, but it's whatever. I'm also not sure how their cars have not had as many coil failure issues as most people do at high power on the factory ignition, maybe they don't drive the development cars as much anymore? I know mine would eat one every 15-20k miles and I felt stupid having to keep a spare in the trunk. I guess maybe the Eldors are more sturdy, maybe MSD80 cooks coils and injectors, but on the bench Eldor failed just as fast as Bosch and Delphi. Bench isn't real world, and I've had my PR for like 4 years now as I gave up on the factory ones before Eldors were even on the market, so I dunno.

For gap, I recommend 0.022" for everybody for the most part. If you are making over 600hp I recommend smaller like .018" or .020" if you have factory coils and drive the car as a daily. If you have upgraded coils and really want to, 0.024" is fine, but there's not any evidence I've seen for power gains going over 0.022". BL and PR cars I've been associated with always pick up midrange power and run smoother, regardless of gap, but of course factory are proven to support tons of power as well if done right so it's up to the person where they want to spend money. Aftermarket coils aren't without their negatives (finicky PR wire installs, R8 coil failures, etc). The facebook war on coils is just stupid.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I run .020 at around 630 to 650 hp on 93 and virtually see no timing pull what so ever.

Car runs perfect, no starting issues, no cold start popping just smooth as butter.

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
Hello .
this post is very interesting, but there are so many different opinions that in the end i don't know which spark plugs to choose.
I explain to you :
the car is stg2 + sp95 (eur)
index12 injectors, eldor s55 coils, 97506 spark plugs
in this configuration it works quite well, but I get misfiring when my WMI kit works.
I followed the aem recommendations for the choice of 500cc + 250CC nozzles.
when WMI is running, the car chokes.
I therefore removed a nozzle, I left only 250cc I still receive misfires.
it seems that the spark plugs are not suitable for my setup.
I have to choose what:
bosch oem N54
bosch oem s55 12120039634
or NGK95770

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
Both work. I have 97506s and had no issues running factory bosch coils either with the pure 2's . Now on eldors as one of the bosch units died of old age.

Ignition obsession is a thing , not just on this platform, it doesnt give you more power or fix timing corrections from the evidence I have seen , unless you had some shagged out component. The factory setup is very capable.

I say go the 97506s and look elsewhere for timing correction gremlins😊👍

Reactions: SlowE93

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
Hello .
this post is very interesting, but there are so many different opinions that in the end i don't know which spark plugs to choose.
I explain to you :
the car is stg2 + sp95 (eur)
index12 injectors, eldor s55 coils, 97506 spark plugs
in this configuration it works quite well, but I get misfiring when my WMI kit works.
I followed the aem recommendations for the choice of 500cc + 250CC nozzles.
when WMI is running, the car chokes.
I therefore removed a nozzle, I left only 250cc I still receive misfires.
it seems that the spark plugs are not suitable for my setup.
I have to choose what:
bosch oem N54
bosch oem s55 12120039634
or NGK95770

Custom tune right? Start there. If no custom tune, thats the issue -(you need one)

Your plug choice is fine. Keep them

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Both work. I have 97506s and had no issues running factory bosch coils either with the pure 2's . Now on eldors as one of the bosch units died of old age.

Ignition obsession is a thing , not just on this platform, it doesnt give you more power or fix timing corrections from the evidence I have seen , unless you had some shagged out component. The factory setup is very capable.

I say go the 97506s and look elsewhere for timing correction gremlins😊👍
Agreed, people obsess with PR coils, R8, etc.
No need, I do not care what the data shows. It is simply not needed in MOST cases.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
One thing I will say about 97506 - it uses a crush washer which, technically, is a one-time use washer. The N20 plug uses a solid copper washer.

Highly recommend, next time your plugs are out, inspect the plug shaft in the cylinder and especially the land where the copper washer seals. Mine were dirty and I spent 1/2 hour cleaning them with small rag bits soaked in brake cleaner, on a grab tool. I think there were some sealing issues.

I'm thinking a tin foil hat over the motor might help :p

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
One thing I will say about 97506 - it uses a crush washer which, technically, is a one-time use washer. The N20 plug uses a solid copper washer.

Highly recommend, next time your plugs are out, inspect the plug shaft in the cylinder and especially the land where the copper washer seals. Mine were dirty and I spent 1/2 hour cleaning them with small rag bits soaked in brake cleaner, on a grab tool. I think there were some sealing issues.

I'm thinking a tin foil hat over the motor might help :p
97506 is the one with copper washer (2 steps colder). The one step colder does not.