Port Injection causing engine failure

Does PI cause engine failures due to lean conditions on factory DI cut?

• Total voters

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
The dutycycle on the PI injectors is sort of irrelevant without knowing the boost pressure and low fuel pressure, e.g. the injection pressure. If boost is 25psi and low fuel pressure is 50psi, you're not moving nearly as much fuel as you think you are at 80% dutycycle. I guess we can do the math but it's not uncommon for WMI guys to run dual CM10 nozzles to fuel 600whp+ on E50, also a ton of fuel in there.

My point was anecdotally we are not seeing the problems in practice that some are theorizing. So there likely is some flaw in the theory.

Yeah that's true. There's plenty meth related failures too and theories behind those. Ultimately a lot of this game comes down to minimizing risk and keeping the car in good shape and logging in proportion to the build. I've seen some scary logs of these situations but in practice only one or two failures possibly from it. I guess the thing is if it's not discussed it'll never get fixed.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
We are talking about controlling the second VCV? I had wondered if you could leave the first one with its existing closed loop control and run the second one open loop, but it sounds like that doesn't work. Why not? I can see why the PID gains would be wrong if you run two pumps on the same output.

It is getting relatively trivial to add high level code to these ECUs (after several months of building the backbone to do it), input variables to feed the code are easy, outputs are more tricky.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
We are talking about controlling the second VCV? I had wondered if you could leave the first one with its existing closed loop control and run the second one open loop, but it sounds like that doesn't work. Why not? I can see why the PID gains would be wrong if you run two pumps on the same output.

I think it works just fine, 850whp was made DI only using an SS AIC to control the second VCV in open loop. Just need to remove that extra box from the equation.

edit: That said, I do see a benefit to proper PI control as well... valve cleaning, much cheaper and more reliable injectors, no additional hpfp to worry about, etc. Having both options available would be great :)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: doublespaces

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
I am trying to decide on my fueling upgrade. It seems that I only really have two options. I go with the VTT Double Barrel, or I go with a PI Kit and JB4 for SOME sort of safety. Doing the math, the VTT DB is cheaper and from my low amount of knowledge, it is also safer?
Well I wouldn't say it's cheaper. Time you load up the cart with everything needed, you are over 2k and that's if you only order it with one hpfp. I think it really comes down to whether or not you feel safe with PI. Both of them can do the job for big power.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think it works just fine, 850whp was made DI only using an SS AIC to control the second VCV in open loop. Just need to remove that extra box from the equation.

edit: That said, I do see a benefit to proper PI control as well... valve cleaning, much cheaper and more reliable injectors, no additional hpfp to worry about, etc. Having both options available would be great :)

Yes, please. ffs, I'd rather pay for this addon then buy an expensive and bulky controller with no other purpose than the control a pump. My 0.02c

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
So since we're all theorizing, would it be safe to say In a PI set up your probably safer on e85 vs e60 based off how lean it would be and less likely to ignite.
To go a step further probably even safer on straight meth or a meth and water mix through a PI set up ..

Reactions: V8bait

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
So since we're all theorizing, would it be safe to say In a PI set up your probably safer on e85 vs e60 based off how lean it would be and less likely to ignite.
To go a step further probably even safer on straight meth or a meth and water mix through a PI set up ..

That's an interesting question. Assuming PI is picking up increased demand from the e85 over e60 complicates it further. There's a dissertation in here somewhere determining the limits to fuel ignition vs misfire, which in this case is useful misfire.

Edit- anybody have any relevant mechE papers dealing with limits of combustion, specifically with alcohol fuels? It's gotta exist...

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Well I wouldn't say it's cheaper. Time you load up the cart with everything needed, you are over 2k and that's if you only order it with one hpfp. I think it really comes down to whether or not you feel safe with PI. Both of them can do the job for big power.
DB is $1700 shipped with everything you need except an extra HPFP, $200 of that is a core charge for the rail, so its really $1500 once you send that back in. Its more expensive than PI, but its also safer, and more efficient.

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
DB is $1700 shipped with everything you need except an extra HPFP, $200 of that is a core charge for the rail, so its really $1500 once you send that back in. Its more expensive than PI, but its also safer, and more efficient.
That would be based off you already having a spare hpfp sitting around correct since it's set up to run two hpfp?

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
That would be based off you already having a spare hpfp sitting around correct since it's set up to run two hpfp?

It is on his site. But yeah it is $1700 assuming you have another HPFP laying around. But you get 200 of it back because of core charge on the fuel rail so without a 2nd pump it would be $1500.

And not sure if the AIC controller they use is any different from the one used for port injection. If not you can find them sometimes for as low as $100 on the BMW sites which could also save a couple hundred. I think they should do a group buy to get the shotgun kit some reviews :)

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Edit- anybody have any relevant mechE papers dealing with limits of combustion, specifically with alcohol fuels? It's gotta exist...
Justin,
Prof Fred Dryer at Princeton is one of the gurus in academia on this subject. I met Fred in his office several years ago on a different topic. Check out some of his cited publications on fuels combustion on his webpage.
http://mae.princeton.edu/people/faculty/dryer

This paper may be of particular interest.

• Informative
Reactions: R.G.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Fortunately, I do actually have a spare HPFP laying around. I think I'd make sure the older one was in a easier to access location, if it let go...If there is such a location.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
That's an interesting question. Assuming PI is picking up increased demand from the e85 over e60 complicates it further. There's a dissertation in here somewhere determining the limits to fuel ignition vs misfire, which in this case is useful misfire.

The lower explosive limit on fuel is really low. In all cases of supplying a relevant amount of fuel, that amount could theoretically ignite with DI shut in. Probably more important is whether or not the amount of energy released is enough to cause damage.