Port Injection controllers, ?

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
So what is out there?
What is the safest?
What are the costs?

I know there is AIC6 ... I can't find much technical about them though.
Is it a bank/batch fire, sequential?
What can be adjusted on it?
What type of injector can it run?
Can you log, how? Easy to correlate to DME/MHD logs?

JB4
As I understand this one the fuel control is an add-on.

It looks like the JB is a fair setup, boost and fuel control in a single setup. Vs Boostbox and AIC.

I guess I want a push. The fuel side is my hangup with going further (same as most everyone). I need something reliable and robust. I don't plan on taking the car out of daily duty and it has to work in subzero temps as well as 100+ temps.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I was told that the AIC boxes fire all at once. I think Justin(V8bait) explained their operation awhile back when they came out.

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
AIC1 = fire all 6 at once, high impedance only
AIC2 = fire 3 at a time, high impedance only

Looks like most that sell the AIC for the N54 are using the 1 version.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
JB4
As I understand this one the fuel control is an add-on.

PI injection is mapped as batch fire and the amount is automatically adjusted for the various critical criteria like injection pressure and ethanol mixtures. More importantly there are several additional functions like tip in surge (to prevent fuel pressure drop during transitions), fuel trim bank to bank safety systems, and a lot more that make it a safer and easier setup than any of the stand alone boxes.

There is a FAQ posted here: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28478

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
We have been running a sequential controller for a while, that does much more than control injectors. Drop us an email or check out this thread for a little more info

Chris

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
AIC and JB4 are both batch. AIC offers tuning via boost vs rpm in terms of absolute injection time, with no feedback controls to speak of. The computer controls in this car are sufficient to make that suitable for the most part, especially now that MHD has ignition coil cut safeties. The higher up your build goes and the more aux systems you're trying to use on their own, the more beneficial a better controller gets.

For example, many people go stepwise, adding a second fuel pump on a Hobbs switch, pi with aic, then single turbo, maybe a boostbox or turbosmart controller, add a wotbox etc. In many ways, a better controller that can do sequential or at least semi sequential, with greater tuning abilities, would simplify things as better controllers can also trigger additional fuel pumps (eliminates Hobbs), run NLS/2 step without a wotbox, and control boost. The haltech and VTT's solution can also run the PI with many safeties in a somewhat closed loop way.

This doesn't really cover jb4 that has most of these features but with their own drawbacks, such as the NLS isn't adjustable like WOTbox and others, PI is batch, hijacks the CAN, only moderate adjustability on said controls. But there's many successful ways to do things.