Power loss. Please help

Scott335is

Sep 16, 2019
Ride
2012 335is
So I am new to the n54 world. I have a 2012 335is. Current mods are dinan intercooler, dinan intake, turner motorsports catted dps, dinan oil cooler, pe exhaust, jb4 with bef, spool stg 2 lpfp. I only use 93 pump gas. My buddy and I are trying to chase down a power issue. It used to be extremely noticable until yesterday when the lpfp and bef was installed. Can someone please take a look at my log from yesterday and let me know if anything stands out? Hoping it's a setting. I dont have any codes to point me in any direction. Again, I'm new so easy on me! I've attached log

Attachments

• 2019-09-15 19_32_54_Map-2.csv
    15 KB · Views: 33

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Scott,
Welcome!
First things first, we got to get your log loaded into the Datalog section of Spoolstreet, then copy it here. I did it for you (all on my iPhone) - See below. First I deleted the first few rows of your spreadsheet so that the proper labels would display in the legend. Then I looked at the usual parameters pertaining to boost, fueling and timing. Your boost seems fine (no leaks!) but your fueling and timing are a little messed up. Fueling is going leaner (AFR below 11.9 above 5000rpm) than I’d expect while your trims are maxed at 30-34. This tells me your tune is requesting too much fuel. That could be the JB4 - I’m an MHD only guy so cant tell for sure. Also you’re having some ignition (timing) issues / pulling timing (some ign values are zero above 5000 rpm). So I’m suspecting possible some maintenance may be due. What’s the mileage and maintenance history of the engine?
Remember: Maintenance over mods!

Here’s a list I’d recommend in order of importance:
0) Install MHD to read the codes.
1) Walnut blast the intake at least every 20k miles, especially if not running a low side catch can.
2) Replace spark plugs with one-step or two-step colder plugs (NGK 97506 for example gapped to 0.22 mil)
3) Replace ignition coils after 50K miles (and test individual ones by switching cylinders)
4) upgrade injectors to index 12s
5) clean air filter

Last edited:

Scott335is

Sep 16, 2019
Ride
2012 335is
Thanks for the insight. I believe the walnut blast was done less than 10k miles ago and I do have a catch can. I have MHD and no codes come up, I wish it would throw a code! I have ordered the 2step colder plugs (my buddy recommended them as well) . The car has all 6 index 12 injectors. I'm not sure of the condition of the filter but I will check this weekend when I'm putting the spark plugs in. The coils I am also unsure of the condition. Is there a way to tell if they are no good? My buddy also have a spare set of coils that we may pop on there just to see if there is a difference in how it behaves.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Remove the JB4 and bef and start over to test stock power level?

If it feels right, then drops again with the jb4 installed then you have removed a lot of possible issues.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
The coils I am also unsure of the condition. Is there a way to tell if they are no good?
If you’re always getting timing drops on a particular cylinder or two then try switching around the coils. If the timing drops follows the coil to the new cylinder then you’ll know it’s likely bad coil.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Thanks for the insight. I believe the walnut blast was done less than 10k miles ago and I do have a catch can. I have MHD and no codes come up, I wish it would throw a code! I have ordered the 2step colder plugs (my buddy recommended them as well) . The car has all 6 index 12 injectors. I'm not sure of the condition of the filter but I will check this weekend when I'm putting the spark plugs in. The coils I am also unsure of the condition. Is there a way to tell if they are no good? My buddy also have a spare set of coils that we may pop on there just to see if there is a difference in how it behaves.

If you don't have enough power to need 2 step, then your plugs will foul up and efficiency suffers. The fuel will not burn complete.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeffman

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
if plugs are too hot....pre-ignition risk.

Each step colder is supposed and to take 70 to 100°c away.

Last edited:

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
A number of us have also noticed that the spark plugs will loosen over time, especially the one-step colder NGK 95770 plugs with the aluminum crush washers. Try re-torquing them 17 ft-lb or 23 Nm.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
So I am new to the n54 world. I have a 2012 335is. Current mods are dinan intercooler, dinan intake, turner motorsports catted dps, dinan oil cooler, pe exhaust, jb4 with bef, spool stg 2 lpfp. I only use 93 pump gas. My buddy and I are trying to chase down a power issue. It used to be extremely noticable until yesterday when the lpfp and bef was installed. Can someone please take a look at my log from yesterday and let me know if anything stands out? Hoping it's a setting. I dont have any codes to point me in any direction. Again, I'm new so easy on me! I've attached log

Stock or Precision raceworks coils?

Scott335is

Sep 16, 2019
Ride
2012 335is
Thanks for all the advice guys. Also thanks for not roasting a newb. I'm going to try the 2 step colder plugs I just ordered, and also try moving the coils around to see if timing drops. Very good suggestions. I will report back with hopefully some good news. I have had the car at 3 indy shops and BMW near me. All have said they can feel what's going on but dont have a clue what it is. Most blame the tune. So I ditched the dinan tune and went JB4 and seemed to be a little worse but also very jerky. Added the BEF and it seemed to clean it up and make it smoother but still feel the slight surge or power loss under load. Hoping we are on to something with plugs and coils.

Scott335is

Sep 16, 2019
Ride
2012 335is
Stock or Precision raceworks coils?
I believe they may be stock. I'll check this weekend. I've had the car since march so I havent gotten too deep into everything yet, this car is my weekend run around car.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Thanks for all the advice guys. Also thanks for not roasting a newb. I'm going to try the 2 step colder plugs I just ordered, and also try moving the coils around to see if timing drops. Very good suggestions. I will report back with hopefully some good news. I have had the car at 3 indy shops and BMW near me. All have said they can feel what's going on but dont have a clue what it is. Most blame the tune. So I ditched the dinan tune and went JB4 and seemed to be a little worse but also very jerky. Added the BEF and it seemed to clean it up and make it smoother but still feel the slight surge or power loss under load. Hoping we are on to something with plugs and coils.
You would know if they were aftermarket as they look and connect completly differant they stock.
A little meme fun

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I believe they may be stock. I'll check this weekend. I've had the car since march so I havent gotten too deep into everything yet, this car is my weekend run around car.

Aftermarket high performance coils are different as stated. Did you use dielectric grease when you installed your plugs? On the ceramic part of the plug and not on any metal parts.

Scott335is

Sep 16, 2019
Ride
2012 335is
Aftermarket high performance coils are different as stated. Did you use dielectric grease when you installed your plugs? On the ceramic part of the plug and not on any metal parts.
I havent changed the plugs since I have owned the car. I bought it in march and have put maybe 1500 miles on it max. So not sure what previous owner has in it. Will find out this weekend

Maniac0908

Corporal
Mar 22, 2018
Ride
07 335xi
he has stock coils. The ones I have in my garage are stock as well. They are the ones with the silver on them. If he has timing drops after changing plugs I’ll give him these and see if they clear it up. E85 might help but we want to get this thing running good off just 93 as e85 isn’t really close to us.

Reactions: Scott335is

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
No little splash if e85 or octane boost to make sure your not pulling timing cause fuel quality

Then you could tune around it change stations etc but at list is more info