PTE Leaking From Top Feed Connection

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Nice to know. My 6062 has about 25K on it now, and shows absolutely zero signs of leaking or slowing up, but just wanted to know for future reference.

IIRC a full rebuild was like $750. So a bit more than 1/4 of the cost of it new retail. Which is not a horrible deal. I don't know if they actually rebuild anything or just give you a fresh CHRA and balance.

edit: Does anyone know what does the twin turbo vendors charge to rebuild their turbos? Just curious.

Last edited:
Reactions: chadillac2000

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
IIRC a full rebuild was like $750. So a bit more than 1/4 of the cost of it new retail. Which is not a horrible deal. I don't know if they actually rebuild anything or just give you a fresh CHRA and balance.

edit: Does anyone know what does the twin turbo vendors charge to rebuild their turbos? Just curious.

Most likely swap out the CHRA that would be the fastest way

Vargas wanted 1000 for someone local to me ... lmao

Reactions: chadillac2000

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Most likely swap out the CHRA that would be the fastest way

Vargas wanted 1000 for someone local to me ... lmao

Jesus. $500 per turbo that failed likely because of the manufacturer...is it ethical to make a profit on your own failed products? $1000, depending on the VTT turbo, is 1/2 price of the turbos new.

• Agree
Reactions: veer90

nswartz125

Lurker
Nov 7, 2018
Ride
DIY 1m
I am having the same issue. You can see my post is the last reply with no answer in the linked thread :(

When I first got the car running on the single set up, no leak at all. about 2-300 miles in I noticed it was wet, then at about 500 miles in, it was smoking pretty good.

At first I thought it was maybe my lowside PCV causing to much crank case pressure (at the time I had headports blocked with stock PCV in place lol) so I bought a pcv delete and now vent both hi and low side VTA..... turbo still leaking like a pig.

just ordered a oil restrictor from summit yesterday so we will see if that does the trick.

drain is an atp turbo 10an fitting to a 10an line, with a 10an fitting welded onto the stock return fitting. maybe we need 12an...idk

its interesting if you google leaking oil feed precision turbo, the only people I can find with the same issue as me are n54 cars....

So I got my Lowside PCV all set up. Headports blocked, VTT pcv delete fitting to Mish catch can to check valve then into intake mani. My idea was that because there was no vacuum on crank case, I had too much crank case pressure.

Got it running after cleaning the old leaking oil off the turbo. It went 2-3 minutes before it started to leak (at idle). Tonight I am going to throw on a vibrant oil restrictor and see if that does the trick. if that doesn't work, guess im sending it to precision which is annoying considering it maybeeee has 2k miles on it.

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
So I got my Lowside PCV all set up. Headports blocked, VTT pcv delete fitting to Mish catch can to check valve then into intake mani. My idea was that because there was no vacuum on crank case, I had too much crank case pressure.

Got it running after cleaning the old leaking oil off the turbo. It went 2-3 minutes before it started to leak (at idle). Tonight I am going to throw on a vibrant oil restrictor and see if that does the trick. if that doesn't work, guess im sending it to precision which is annoying considering it maybeeee has 2k miles on it.

Save yourself some time and money and just send it in now. I tried everything with no luck. It has to be rebuilt.

Reactions: nswartz125

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

JB weld that bish and send it.

nswartz125

Lurker
Nov 7, 2018
Ride
DIY 1m
Worth a try. Guy local had this issue and the restrictor did the trick. he has been driving it for 6 months now with no issues.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I know mine came with a restrictor. So try that 1st. Just make sure to use the size restrictor they recommend.

I would ask PTE if they care if you JB weld the leak in regards to a rebuild. Again, I bet they toss your old CHRA and give you a new one during the rebuild so they probably don't give a shit. I can't imagine they are going to give you back a rusty old CHRA with new guts. It wouldn't surprise me if JB weld fixes your leak honestly. If it does, then send it. If it doesn't, then get the rebuild anyways.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
I thought about checking my drain.was gonna disconnect the drain and blow some compressed air to make sure its clear.
Question
Would blowing some compressed air quickly into drain to block be a issue or be damaging?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I thought about checking my drain.was gonna disconnect the drain and blow some compressed air to make sure its clear.
Question
Would blowing some compressed air quickly into drain to block be a issue or be damaging?

I would just disconnect both ends and then blow air, inspect, etc. Most drains are fairly good sized and the debris would have to come in from the top feed which has a restrictor(on PTE at least). I highly doubt your drain is blocked, but stranger things have happened.