Public Post Development

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
@jyamona any last minute changes to the public posting concerning the wording with MHD development? I think it's ambiguous enough to let people know that MHD is looking into this but there's nothing definitive that has been determined.

If you can hold off one / two more days I should have a definitive answer and video.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
So... upshifts do not use the "set RPM" routine that launch control and downshifts use, which makes sense. However, I am trying to think through why shifts would be sloppy when using the wrong FD. Best I can come up with is the TCU keeps clutch pack open and sending the "I'm performing an upshift" message to the DME until RPM is where it expects it to be. I've verified that the TCU knows exactly where RPM should be for the next gear (assuming correct FD), as during a downshift the "set RPM" routine is updated every 10ms until the downshift completes.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So... upshifts do not use the "set RPM" routine that launch control and downshifts use, which makes sense. However, I am trying to think through why shifts would be sloppy when using the wrong FD. Best I can come up with is the TCU keeps clutch pack open and sending the "I'm performing an upshift" message to the DME until RPM is where it expects it to be. I've verified that the TCU knows exactly where RPM should be for the next gear (assuming correct FD), as during a downshift the "set RPM" routine is updated every 10ms until the downshift completes.

So can we trick the TCU with a fake RPM message and then send the correct one once the clutchpack is closed back up?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
So can we trick the TCU with a fake RPM message and then send the correct one once the clutchpack is closed back up?

It doesn't take in RPM as a message, I believe it gets it from it's own input shaft speed sensor or something. Someone mentioned it in this thread I know.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
The shafts have Hall effect sensors from what I've seen, but spoofing them would be internal to the TCU, in which case, would still need access to TCU bin or comms. That, assuming we can confirm there is positively no RPM CAN communication to/from the TCU. For some reason, I thought there was.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Yeah there’s an RPM sensor on the input shaft according to the documentation I read.

Edit There’s 3 sensors. one on the input shaft, one on input shaft 1 post clutch and input shaft 2 post clutch.
It was discussed here https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/bmw-dct-information.2950/

I think the reason the call routine for RPM during launch can be altered and this cant is because when launch is initiated the box is still waiting for the correct RPM and you can launch in that period. The shift behaviour requires RPM in a narrow band.

Sadly I dont think that DME logic is likely to fix this TBH but @jyamona youd know more what do you think ?

Last edited:

keyap

Lurker
Sep 2, 2017
Ride
N55 135i
Any links to decently priced 3.15 diff, half shafts, and driveshaft?

Depending on things such as power levels and how your car is set up to deliver this, differences in gear change characteristics following the 'M3 swop' and whether changing the final drive could add addition strain, you may want to consider upgraded options - I've already had one OEM driveshaft break!

Last edited:

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Depending on things such as power levels and how your car is set up to deliver this, differences in gear change characteristics following the 'M3 swop' and whether changing the final drive could add addition strain, you may want to consider upgraded options - I've already had one OEM driveshaft break!

OEM E8x driveshaft or a modified M3 driveshaft? The M shaft makes the E8x/E9x look like a toothpick.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Popped another an OEM E82 one back in for now simply because this option cost me £0
I get it, it's hard to argue with 0 quid. I have my modified M3 shaft going in this week along with the rest of the drivetrain. It was about $500 US for the driveshaft and modification which was pretty reasonable I think. M3 shifter and programming is going on right now.

keyap

Lurker
Sep 2, 2017
Ride
N55 135i
I have my modified M3 shaft going in this week along with the rest of the drivetrain. It was about $500 US for the driveshaft and modification which was pretty reasonable I think

Sounds good. I looked into something similar but couldn't get close to that price.

Have seen it done a few times and appears to be a good route to go.

Interestingly, I believe there was a recall on pre 04/11 E82 N55 for a weakness identified in I think a driveshaft joint. Mine's a 07/11 build but it does get you thinking.

Might try to dig up the recall details to see exactly what it was.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I'll pull out the references to the MHD development and make the 3.15 diff a swap requirement.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Seems the right way to go.

Maybe expand more on other ratios that may work? (based on the percentage differences)?

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
No other ratio will upshift properly. And the 3.15 comes with quite the low mph ceiling for anyone trying to 1/2mi

Yea, a built head with Ferra valvetrain and setting up the redline at 8000rpm will be the final piece of the puzzle. That will give you the same exact rpm/speed as the M3.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I take it That’s tested and proven that your logic fix doesn’t work now ?:weary:

Thanks for trying man!

Yea, the TCU only sends the RPM request for launch control and downshifts. So I don't think there's anything I could do on dme side. Its too bad it doesn't seem to gets rpm signal from dme either. You could yellow box all the wheel speed signals going to the TCU but that might have some negative side effects.

Yea, a built head with Ferra valvetrain and setting up the redline at 8000rpm will be the final piece of the puzzle. That will give you the same exact rpm/speed as the M3.

Isn't M3 redline 8300? What would the max mph be at 8k with a taller tire vs. 8300?