Public Post Development

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
I should be getting my car back from the shop either tomorrow or Tuesday with the full drivetrain swap and a 2.81 gear. I'm already running the stock M3 tire size (275/35-19). I've reset nothing at this point but will once I have the car back. I guess I'll find out if this is outside the "comfort" zone or not for the M3 software.
So far 3.08 seems to be working. It was soft and started firming up (adapting?) as I drove. I forgot how one wheel peel sounds as I'm running with the all season highway tires right now.

It chirps into 4th and I find that I want to hold longer before shifting now. Maybe I'm going back to E36 muscle memory with the lower gearing.

Going to get some logs soon.

Oh and tire size won't matter. I had in my mind speed equivalent not shaft rotation and it was explained and pointed out earlier to me in this thread.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Oh and tire size won't matter. I had in my mind speed equivalent not shaft rotation and it was explained and pointed out earlier to me in this thread.

This is correct, the wheel speed sensors measure hub speed, not true ground speed.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
I just chatted with Turner and they say the 2.81 is safe for factory DCT programming. I was asking for how they were able to recode the transmission for the new final drive. They said it works within factory parameters. So, is the 2.81 close enough to work with M3 programming parameters?

@LMB335is let us know what you experience. It would be awesome if the 2.81 would work with either programming. More flexible.

Reactions: LMB335is

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I think a Can shield placed on the DCT wiring only, intercepting and changing the road speed indications from the DSC will do the trick

MilkBags

Lurker
Feb 28, 2018
Montreal, Canada
Ride
2011 135i N55 DCT
Is this ready to be published? I've been keeping up for the past months and want to attempt this on my N55 135i DCT since everything worked for @dyezak.

I wanna do the M3 GTS DCT conversion and M3 LSD swap first. I have most of the parts (M3 KOMBI, diff, driveshaft, axle shafts, GWS) sourced, just need to pull the trigger. Might do adjustable launch control later and correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt flashing a 1M DME would work on a N55 so I wouldn't do MDM.

I was planning on making my own thread with my progress, but I will probably have questions. Where would be the best place/thread to ask them?

My buddy who runs a local BMW Indy shop will help me and will do most of the mechanical work some I'm not worried about any of that, but the coding part is a bit scary as we don't have experience with NCSExpert, just Autologic.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Is this ready to be published? I've been keeping up for the past months and want to attempt this on my N55 135i DCT since everything worked for @dyezak.

I wanna do the M3 GTS DCT conversion and M3 LSD swap first. I have most of the parts (M3 KOMBI, diff, driveshaft, axle shafts, GWS) sourced, just need to pull the trigger. Might do adjustable launch control later and correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt flashing a 1M DME would work on a N55 so I wouldn't do MDM.

I was planning on making my own thread with my progress, but I will probably have questions. Where would be the best place/thread to ask them?

My buddy who runs a local BMW Indy shop will help me and will do most of the mechanical work some I'm not worried about any of that, but the coding part is a bit scary as we don't have experience with NCSExpert, just Autologic.

It is published in the N54 section already.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I think a Can shield placed on the DCT wiring only, intercepting and changing the road speed indications from the DSC will do the trick

Although this absolutely will work, the development of such a box would probably be just short of the amount of effort required to crack the DCT TCU...and that opens a whole new world of options.

We need to collectively push in a singular direction to get either option moving under its own power.

I think @MOTIV Motorsport has a great reputation of those type of boxes (boost box, flex fuel) and if you got buy in from them on creating a PnP CAN Shield in-line going to the DCT that might be the way to go. POC can be done with arduino, but you want a more solid solution for the masses...and given the standardization of the CAN messages along with the sheer number of DCT cars across the BMW range of performance offerings...there is a market there for this type of a device.

I just want the full TCU access like the 6HP guys have.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
No word back from Oliver on programming the DCT. I'll reach out again tonight.
FYI I reached out to Stokes and he has passed the torch on this over to me. Oliver has informed me this should be possible but we will see. Not sure it is clear he understands we don't have M3's.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
@aus335iguy I'm here... just been busy. I spent several email exchanges explaining the situation to Oliver. He understood... back in Feb 2019. Its' possible he might have forgotten since the subject wasn't revisited for a while. I ran across him when there was a video or post about gear changing for track cars and needed his help to flash the DCT.