Pure Stage X F10 M5 does 1008whp and 955wtq

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
According to @Steve @ Pure the same car that did 9.9 in the 1/4 has made some upgrades:

Pure Stage X
1008whp and 955wtq F10 M5
- @burger_tuning JB4 on 34psi Only with race gas
- PureTurbos Stage X
- @dmetuning BEF
- BMS WMI
- custom BMS intake and alot of other stuff
- Rebuild engine
- Stock exhaust still

Apparently they had to stop because they have Spec R clutches and need Spec X. The owner is: https://www.instagram.com/allmotor_2000/

27479691_10155205388367337_877299042_o.jpg

27393318_10155205609817337_2031490345_o.jpg

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
This is bad ass. Im interested to see what the actual limit of the dct will be.

This individual (and a few other 900+hp M5's) are hitting some strange issues right now. There is an odd buildup of metallic particles that seem to be causing issues with shifting. You have to disassemble the entire trans to clean it, and the offending material seems particularly attracted to the Mechtronics. Once cleaned there is no obvious wear on anything to indicate where the metallic material is coming from...though it could be from the R spec SSP clutches themselves. SSP has (at best) guesstimate that their clutches are good to 1200hp. Nobody has had a car to really test them yet. Maybe this is the limit of their clutch pack???? Because the metallic material is not coming from the gears, bearings, or case.

M5 boards

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So it would be safe to say that even without reaching the limit of the clutches that material would still build up and eventually cause an issue? I wonder if the new dodson clutches will have the same issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rob09msport

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
So it would be safe to say that even without reaching the limit of the clutches that material would still build up and eventually cause an issue? I wonder if the new dodson clutches will have the same issue.

It's a potential possibility. The clutches are wet pack clutches, and all clutches wear. The factory clutch material may be able to be suspended in the DCT gear oil just fine and flow to the filter. But what did SSP do to make the clutch disks themselves more grippy? One option on any friction material is the inclusion of metallic media (think metallic brake pads). If they went that direction then the buildup we are seeing could be from the expected clutch wear and nothing more. But the buildup is the concerning part. Whatever the source of this material....the fact remains that it is too heavy to be adequately suspended by the DCT lubricant being used. So that lubricant isn't able to transport the material to the filter to be cleaned. The material is settling throughout the transmission and that is what is causing the problem.

Once cleaned up it seems to restore the shifting to normal operation.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
FYI - Historically wet multi-disk clutch packs like this came from the motorcycle world. Every single sport bike you see, and almost every motorcycle on the road today uses this technology.

The big difference is in the motorcycle the clutch/transmission/engine all share common lubricant. That oil gets changed at a regular interval, so as your clutches wear you are continuously removing that material along with the oil and putting fresh oil and filters on the engine.

If the clutch packs are the root cause you can bet the GTR running SSP clutches guys found this long ago and we just haven't caught up to them in their knowledge level yet.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
You'd think that SSP would also be aware of this then? Let me see if I can get Kris in here to give some insight.