Question: Just tighten the leaky oil pan gasket bolt?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
2008 335xi 60,000 miles:
Never had the oil pan gasket replaced (yet).
I noticed some oil on the garage floor, so put the car up on jack stands, removed the plastic belly shrouds and aluminum belly pan. Wiped up as much old oil and grime as I could and warmed up the engine. Looks like oil is only seeping slowly out from one of the oil pan gasket bolts. See photo. Maybe just give it a quarter turn or re-torque it to see if it will stop leaking as a quick fix?
0FD565FA-AD93-4F60-BE66-BF43D79F54C7.jpeg

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I wouldn't count on it working but I doubt a 1/4 turn would hurt. Just don't overtorque it thinking its gonna fix the leak. I know oil pans are a pain especially on an xi.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Thanks for your replies. I set my torque wrench to 6 ft-lbs (72 inch-lbs) and gave a little twist, maybe 30-45 degrees at most. It did not snap off. I’ll report back tonight and cast my vote.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Ten years is quite a bit of time, if the gasket has never been replaced it wouldn't seem outrageous for it to be going bad due to old age. My 2009 has just over 60k and I'm ready to accept this fact as well.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Yep. It is still leaking. And saw it leaking from up top as well and smelled burning oil hitting the exhaust. Oh well...it’s such a PITA on an Xi so thinking of having it done by the dealer ...

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Interesting spot for a leak. Usually the pan leaks go out, not down a bolt hole.

I wouldn't expect this to work either, but given the complexity on an xi pan, I'd try it.

Remove the bolt, put a rubber O-ring around it, and reapply it. Like the drain plug bolt. That one bolt's clamping force is not going to significantly (or at all) impact overall gasket sealing, so all you need to focus on is sealing the bolt.

Reactions: Jeffman

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I been putting up with my oil pan gasket in the X5 for a year - just slid some cardboard under it.

Then just drove it to CT and back and now it looks like the oil filter housing gasket just threw up all over the front of the engine and my drive.
Need bigger cardboard now and can no longer ignore it with the belt worries.

Just can't find the energy to take an X5 apart. I got my Z4 winter project underway and not interested in that at all.

But the service center cost will be very painful.

oh... and I just had to remove 3" of ice from the lower cubby where the rear door module is and find a replacement module. Had to drill a drain hole until I can figure out the leak.

Too many BMW's are wearing me down.

BMW - Can't keep the water out, Can't keep the oil in

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Don't do this! These are stretch bolts... Meaning, they might snap if you try to "tighten" them past their intended stretch. I re-used oil pan bolts after dropping the pan to fish out serpentine belt material. I snapped 3 bolts before ever getting near 5 ftlbs on them lol. They were easy to get out, but, definitely at least drive a new bolt in rather than trying to "tighten" an old stretched out bolt.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I been putting up with my oil pan gasket in the X5 for a year - just slid some cardboard under it.

Then just drove it to CT and back and now it looks like the oil filter housing gasket just threw up all over the front of the engine and my drive.
Need bigger cardboard now and can no longer ignore it with the belt worries.

Just can't find the energy to take an X5 apart. I got my Z4 winter project underway and not interested in that at all.

But the service center cost will be very painful.

oh... and I just had to remove 3" of ice from the lower cubby where the rear door module is and find a replacement module. Had to drill a drain hole until I can figure out the leak.

Too many BMW's are wearing me down.

BMW - Can't keep the water out, Can't keep the oil in

I had an E53 and it had leaked oil all over the asphalt in front of my house. I absolutely hate oil leaks, to the point I will spend stupid money trying to fix it or just sell the car. In the case of the X5, I did both.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I had an E53 and it had leaked oil all over the asphalt in front of my house. I absolutely hate oil leaks, to the point I will spend stupid money trying to fix it or just sell the car. In the case of the X5, I did both.

In 20 years never a drop of oil on my driveway. Then I got some BMWs. Now I think I could light it on fire.

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Update - only 11K miles driven since I originally posted this. Oil leak is only a little worse. But the originally passenger side engine mount is clearly shot so planning the “big job” - remove the 335xi subframe to do a bunch of maintenance items and maybe finally upgrade my 71K miles stock turbos. Here’s my to-do list. Anything else you’d suggest?

- OEM Engine mounts + VTT inserts
- Oil pan gasket
- finally install my RB inlets for stock turbos that have been sitting around for 5 years (or other inlets for new turbos)
- Water pump again? (current one has 27K mikes / 7 years)
- VTT Outlets?
- UpgradedTurbos? (not crazy power, but want high quality and no lag)

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I can sell you the VTT motor mount inserts.

Do the oil sensor oring

I have a 335 subframe hanging loose right now. That water pump is tempting just sitting there staring me in the face.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I can sell you the VTT motor mount inserts.

Do the oil sensor oring

I have a 335 subframe hanging loose right now. That water pump is tempting just sitting there staring me in the face.
Thanks for the tip. Why are you selling the VTT motor mount inserts? Did you try them?