Question on PSP outlet for MMP Stg 3

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Hey guys, I have the PSP outlet for MMP Stage 3 that arrived (I'm not running MMP Stage 3's but this is what they call this size). Can anyone else that bought this verify that this turbo connection end is correct, in the photo below? Seems odd to me. Thanks!

Filippo

IMG_20181210_202658.jpg

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
What kind of end were you expecting? I have mmp s3 turbos and they do not have the v band connection on the compressor housing, just a regular opening. For the psp outlets I believe you simply use a silicone coupler to the compressor outlet. The only thing I don't like about it is you now have 2 more potential leak sources and connections that could pop off. Granted with the issue some have with outlets melting and tearing it might be an acceptable trade-off.

What kind of connection do the Hydra hybrids have on the compressor?

MRC-5.56

Lurker
Nov 24, 2017
Ride
e92 335i
Ive been running the PSP outlets on my MMP s3's for the past 4000 miles. No complaints. When I first installed I blew the outlet coupler off the rear turbo. After my 2nd installation I secured the outlets real good to the turbos first than used soapy water to weasel in the middle coupling.
1532914630907.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Hey guys, I have the PSP outlet for MMP Stage 3 that arrived (I'm not running MMP Stage 3's but this is what they call this size). Can anyone else that bought this verify that this turbo connection end is correct, in the photo below? Seems odd to me. Thanks!
What kind of end were you expecting?
Let me be a bit more clear: I don't understand why this part of the turbo connection tube for the front turbo is not fully swaged.

IMG_20181210_202658.jpg

For the psp outlets I believe you simply use a silicone coupler to the compressor outlet. The only thing I don't like about it is you now have 2 more potential leak sources and connections that could pop off. Granted with the issue some have with outlets melting and tearing it might be an acceptable trade-off.

We are ditching the standard temp couplers that can from PSP, along with the Breeze fasteners. We will run the 500 deg aramid HPS couplers at the turbo outlets, and for the mid-pipe connection, a hump version of the aramid coupler for strain relief as the aluminum heats and cools. For fastening, w will use Turbosmart constant tension Murray clamps.

Filippo

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Let me be a bit more clear: I don't understand why this part of the turbo connection tube for the front turbo is not fully swaged.

View attachment 21045

We are ditching the standard temp couplers that can from PSP, along with the Breeze fasteners. We will run the 500 deg aramid HPS couplers at the turbo outlets, and for the mid-pipe connection, a hump version of the aramid coupler for strain relief as the aluminum heats and cools. For fastening, w will use Turbosmart constant tension Murray clamps.

Filippo

To do this, need the following, is this correct?

2x 500deg 4" straight couplers. Do you plan to trim these?
1x hump coupler
6x Murray clamps
Then w/e PSP included for the FMIC connection.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Does any have a set and can confirm? I guess I can reach back to @Dusty Waterfall ... but I already had a set sent back a few months back where the wrong one got accidentally sent. I really don't want to have to ship a second set back. Just want to use them - like how they are made.

Filippo

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
To do this, need the following, is this correct?

2x 500deg 4" straight couplers. Do you plan to trim these?
1x hump coupler
6x Murray clamps
Then w/e PSP included for the FMIC connection.
It's 2" for everything but the FMIC connection. I already have a hump coupler for FMIC connection (which can be a normal piece since no heat there - not 500 deg). If you need to do FMIC, you need 2.5" murray clamps and regular 2.5" hump connector. On trim, if necessary we will trim. Hope this helps.

Filippo

• Informative
Reactions: ShocknAwe

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
It's 2" for everything but the FMIC connection. I already have a hump coupler for FMIC connection (which can be a normal piece since no heat there - not 500 deg). If you need to do FMIC, you need 2.5" murray clamps and regular 2.5" hump connector. On trim, if necessary we will trim. Hope this helps.

Filippo[/QUOTE

Hey, I purchased the same set. For mmp size.That is a defect. My set also had some shitty tie in work at the y joint welds.It protrudes inward into the airflow path.The clamps also were very flimsy. I was hoping to get away from so many couplers. But hey ! Atleast it didnt blow apart.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Hey, I purchased the same set. For mmp size.That is a defect. My set also had some shitty tie in work at the y joint welds.It protrudes inward into the airflow path.The clamps also were very flimsy. I was hoping to get away from so many couplers. But hey ! Atleast it didnt blow apart.
Cripes I hope you are wrong. I've gone ahead and written them. This would be set #2 I have to package up and return. :rolleyes:

Filippo

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Cripes I hope you are wrong. I've gone ahead and written them. This would be set #2 I have to package up and return. :rolleyes:

Filippo
I also bought the MMP S3 outlets when I bought my 1Ks - I can't seem to find the pictures I took, but that's definitely not how mine looked. Its unfortunate you've had QC issues with his outlets, mine were a really nice piece even though I also used different heat wrap than just the gold tape.

Just a heads up, the S3 outlets are designed very specifically for *only* the MMP S3 turbos according to Dusty himself. I assumed they'd fit just fine with the 1Ks, and my shop called me saying they wouldn't fit and when they called Dusty he basically told them they were SOL, wrong outlets. I messaged him on FB after receiving that call because I had talked with him on FB prior and specifically mentioned ordering 1Ks and not wanting to deal with silicone outlets and he didnt mention any fitment issues at that time. He then also told me that he "doesnt officially support them on the 1Ks" since they were designed for the stage 3s, but said one person got them to fit and sent me a screenshot so I hunted him down on FB for guidance.

I dont recall the housing size of the HP800 compared to the S3 or 1K, or if you're also doing the N53 head and larger manifolds but it was apparently a very difficult process and it's very tight clearance wise with the 1Ks at least.

Attachments

• received_234045214135166.jpeg
    received_234045214135166.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 136

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
The hydras use the stock manifold so they should have more clearance. I'd think since they are stock placement that there shouldn't be an issue with compressor outlet clocking, but they're always a chance.

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
Any outlet made for S3s will fit my turbos without issue. With that said, the tooling for my outlets is almost done, and I should have a sample to try out sometime next week and they should have A LOT more clearance than what is pictured above. Would be a shame to run a nice efficient turbocharger only to have the charge air pick up a whole bunch of radiated heat after leaving the compressor...

Last edited:

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
The hydras use the stock manifold so they should have more clearance. I'd think since they are stock placement that there shouldn't be an issue with compressor outlet clocking, but they're always a chance.
Only if using the stock N54 head though, right? I believe fillipo has expressed interest in the N53 head which if he orderes would mean he'd also have larger exhaust manifolds.
Any outlet made for S3s will fit my turbos without issue. With that said, the tooling for my outlets is almost done, and I should have a sample to try out sometime next week and they should have A LOT more clearance than what is pictured above. Would be a shame to run a nice efficient turbocharger only to have the charge air pick up a whole bunch of radiated heat after leaving the compressor...
That was sent right when they were put in place just to show me they got them on, they since put more heat wrapping on them afterwards and the pic is a bit deceiving in clearance due to the angle - it's definitely tighter than stock turbos with stock outlets, but not a whooole lot more than youd expect from running larger outlets. I haven't noticed any worse IATs than when I had stock turbos and stock location inlets. The 335D scoop and a healthy IC help on that front, and considering my log results seem superior to most people running 1Ks I'd say the benefits outweigh the negatives of a tighter clearance.

I'm interested to see your outlets as at the moment I think the PSP ones are easily the best option, but the more choices the better imo. I'm sure your turbos and outlets will have great fitment, I was just giving Fillipo some firsthand experience feedback with these outlets as requested.