R8 COIL TESTING (BY PRECISION RACWORKS)

Clean WHP

Corporal
Apr 24, 2017
Ride
2010 135i Msport 6MT
I think it would be cool to see which coil pack can run the widest or most aggressive gap on the same brand/kind of plugs. Like put both coil sets with n20 plugs or 2 step colder plugs or whatever is decided to be the most relevant plug choice to the community, and see who can run the widest gap without misfires and keep the boost,fuel, and everythign else constant.

another cool thing would be at said gap that is the widest possible for each coil set, how much power is it making over a stock coil/stock plug/ stock gap. would be neat to see okay at 600whp on stock plugs/coils the Bimmerlife ones can make 6XXwhp same everything where the PR ones make 6XXWHP or whatever it ends up being. Additionally, not that anyone really buys either sets of coils for this reason, but the fuel economy on cruise control would be nice to see. assuming you can optimally run a much wider gap on either set of coils than stock, you will prob get much better gas mileage just cruising out of boost on the wider gap.

it would be awesome to say you have a 650whp BMW that still ges 30-35mpg on cruise control on the highway.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMVELA and fmorelli

cityazndan

Corporal
Jan 17, 2017
Ride
2016 340i xDrive
I agree, the test mule should be a N54 which has been modded past FBO, eg. hybrid turbo upgrade with the proper fueling (at least stg2 bucketless and/or running PI or Meth). So the high 5xx, mid 6xx range is perfect.

Most of the community is more interested in longterm longevity so these short burst testing may not be the end-all, tell-all testing. I mean, I know I am. I'm not interested in seeing some crazy hybrid turbo setup make 700-800-900whp and then either fades out like a mouse, breaks, or is taken off with less than 2500miles on it.

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli
Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
I agree, the test mule should be a N54 which has been modded past FBO, eg. hybrid turbo upgrade with the proper fueling (at least stg2 bucketless and/or running PI or Meth). So the high 5xx, mid 6xx range is perfect.

Most of the community is more interested in longterm longevity so these short burst testing may not be the end-all, tell-all testing. I mean, I know I am. I'm not interested in seeing some crazy hybrid turbo setup make 700-800-900whp and then either fades out like a mouse, breaks, or is taken off with less than 2500miles on it.
I don’t have hybrids. And I’ve had this car for 4 years now. Its not going anywhere. If there is any issue with these PR coils I’ll find it. Nothing yet.

cityazndan

Corporal
Jan 17, 2017
Ride
2016 340i xDrive
@Steven@ClarkPerformance,

Nice, good to see a ST approach put it through its paces. How many miles have you racked up sir?

Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
@Steven@ClarkPerformance,

Nice, good to see a ST approach put it through its paces. How many miles have you racked up sir?
On the coils? Probably like 2000 from last season. Its a track only car so its not racking up miles quickly. It finished last year just around 700 WHP on MMPs with full E85 and PI. The car is just about ready for tuning now with my 6466 prototype kit. Just waiting for the snow to melt. Looking for closer to 800 this year.

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
Make sure you hack up the coils, and shrink wrap the BL harness before you go to do testing.

• Funny
Reactions: fmorelli

135iSleeper

May 7, 2019
Ride
2009 135i
Possibly some other things that would be cool to compare against the different coils would be:
  • Primary and Secondary Resistance (OHM and kOHM)
  • Primary and Secondary Inductance (mH and H)
  • Test Voltage
  • Test Current (amps)
  • Output for No Load and 50pF (kV)
  • Output Energy (mJ)
  • DWELL (ms)
  • ARC Duration (ms)
  • Turns Ratio

PRECISION RACEWORKS

Corporal
Platinum Vendor
Nov 11, 2016
HOUSTON TX
www.precisionraceworks.com
Possibly some other things that would be cool to compare against the different coils would be:
  • Primary and Secondary Resistance (OHM and kOHM)
  • Primary and Secondary Inductance (mH and H)
  • Test Voltage
  • Test Current (amps)
  • Output for No Load and 50pF (kV)
  • Output Energy (mJ)
  • DWELL (ms)
  • ARC Duration (ms)
  • Turns Ratio

I don't see that happening, it would only be missing 2 components for someone to make an exact replica of our product :) This information wouldn't help the general public only those people looking to make copies. We do provide photos off the scope and data that answers the Test voltage, Test current, Energy output, spark duration questions. This information can be found on the forum here and also on our website but the rest of the info is not needed by the public to decide if the coil will do the job needed.

135iSleeper

May 7, 2019
Ride
2009 135i
I don't see that happening, it would only be missing 2 components for someone to make an exact replica of our product :) This information wouldn't help the general public only those people looking to make copies. We do provide photos off the scope and data that answers the Test voltage, Test current, Energy output, spark duration questions. This information can be found on the forum here and also on our website but the rest of the info is not needed by the public to decide if the coil will do the job needed.

That makes sense, just thought it would be good to review the information that makes a coil what it is. At least I didn't ask the amount of windings and type of magnets your using :laughing:. A lot of people probably aren't looking to do that but I understand you have to protect your IP. With sourcing being as easy as it is nowadays, as long as you have some cash and can handle bulk purchasing, you can pretty much get anything made at any spec for fairly cheap. Definitely a tough market especially with the new tariffs. :grinning:

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
*Amperage draw vs gap in a pressure chamber.

That's really all we need to know to make power and know what gap to go with.

Reactions: diolev

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
Heres a coil test for all the main stream current coils.
If you dont want to watch aem coils were the most powerful. R35 gtr coils were pretty good too.
R8 coils are in it too, they were in the middle somewhere.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Let's go hemi style 12 coils and plugs. I think would be easier use the 100 mj ones with pr boots and wires. Or get a kenne belle boost a spark and run 18v to the r8 coils . Honestly though people were making power on eldors so think bl or pr is plenty .
I know you were prob joking but im sure someone gonna try

• Agree
Reactions: JBacon335

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
I'm planning on trying r35 dumb coils out, all of the dwell/plug housings/boot/info is widely available.

Just waiting on my VC, and hoping the boots can be made to work with the bracket supplied.

Random coil info^✓

Last edited:
Reactions: Yeezus335i

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Heres a coil test for all the main stream current coils.
If you dont want to watch aem coils were the most powerful. R35 gtr coils were pretty good too.
R8 coils are in it too, they were in the middle somewhere.

They didn't even test the more powerful AEM coil, just the smart one.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I love the video at the part where they essentially say, “After weeks of testing dozens of coils using our testing rig and our testing protocol, ours tested best.”
Why else would they invest so much time, money and effort into this just to show a competitor’s coil tested best? If they truly felt their coils are better than all the others then I feel that they should have worked with an independent testing lab to give more credibility to the results.