Radium Engineering E90 In-tank Surge Tank

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
I wonder if this kit will work with the new eos fuel pump controller?

yeah of course, you can control the pumps any way you like. this is a hardware solution for everyone who goes around corners quickly without going to a more traditional externally mounted surge tank.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
It will but if you look at the install instructions its going to be difficult to go back to stock without a major expense if you want to part out your car

Going to wait for the eos solution and go from there

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
It will but if you look at the install instructions its going to be difficult to go back to stock without a major expense if you want to part out your car

Going to wait for the eos solution and go from there

sure, its overkill for most people. I had already drawn up and planned on getting a system like this custom fabricated so for me it saves a lot of hassle. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the design and it was basically what I planned on doing, else build a surge tank in the boot which I wanted to avoid. left part out a long time ago so that's a non- issue.

• Agree
Reactions: R.G. and antonioz

E90TommyB

Private
Apr 9, 2018
Indiana
Ride
2007 E90 335i
yeah of course, you can control the pumps any way you like. this is a hardware solution for everyone who goes around corners quickly without going to a more traditional externally mounted surge tank.
I don't think the eos controller will be need with this as the radium kit has a fuel pressure regulator built into the surge tank also it has external 20 amp fuses for each pump whether you run 1 pump or 2.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
I don't think the eos controller will be need with this as the radium kit has a fuel pressure regulator built into the surge tank also it has external 20 amp fuses for each pump whether you run 1 pump or 2.

The installation instructions simply have it set up as pumps on, pumps off. If you want integrated pwm control over some or all of the pumps the eos controller still has its place in this set up. Otherwise you can make up your own variable control depending on how familiar you are with that process, or have them staged pumps on, pumps off which is the common method used on this platform with a Hobbs switch 's signal. At least one surge pump needs to be running, so if it's just pump on triggered it will be running full steam all of the time. For many people looking for this solution that is not a problem. For others controlling the surge tank pumps is desirable.

Reactions: antonioz

E90TommyB

Private
Apr 9, 2018
Indiana
Ride
2007 E90 335i
The installation instructions simply have it set up as pumps on, pumps off. If you want integrated pwm control over some or all of the pumps the eos controller still has its place in this set up. Otherwise you can make up your own variable control depending on how familiar you are with that process, or have them staged pumps on, pumps off which is the common method used on this platform with a Hobbs switch 's signal. At least one surge pump needs to be running, so if it's just pump on triggered it will be running full steam all of the time. For many people looking for this solution that is not a problem. For others controlling the surge tank pumps is desirable.
Okay that makes sense i didn't realize the pumps were either on or off . So then yeah this surge tank with the eos controller would basically be the ultimate setup. I then wonder if the eos controller will be able to control the lift pump and the dual pumps in the surge tank.

Reactions: antonioz

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
yes it
Okay that makes sense i didn't realize the pumps were either on or off . So then yeah this surge tank with the eos controller would basically be the ultimate setup. I then wonder if the eos controller will be able to control the lift pump and the dual pumps in the surge tank.

yes it could do that.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
nom nom nom

CenTXe92

Lurker
Nov 5, 2017
Austin, Texas
Ride
'90 335i Coupe 6MT
I'm a bit disappointed they didn't provide a provision for a return line. Many of us run a port rail and while I'm sure some are running the port rail at the same pressure as the stock low pressure system, I run mine at a lower pressure with a FPR with standard MAP compensation.

On a separate note, they do make a really really nice quality product. I'm certain it will perform exactly as advertised.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
I'm a bit disappointed they didn't provide a provision for a return line. Many of us run a port rail and while I'm sure some are running the port rail at the same pressure as the stock low pressure system, I run mine at a lower pressure with a FPR with standard MAP compensation.

On a separate note, they do make a really really nice quality product. I'm certain it will perform exactly as advertised.

Seems like something to do if car was modified to PI only. Do you see a benefit / measurably better injector consistency running lower pressure at the rail? I won't be running another return from my PI rail. Won't need it.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Controller will control 1 and 2 and lift pump will just be ignition triggered to run always on. Small difference but felt worth clarifying.

CenTXe92

Lurker
Nov 5, 2017
Austin, Texas
Ride
'90 335i Coupe 6MT
Seems like something to do if car was modified to PI only. Do you see a benefit / measurably better injector consistency running lower pressure at the rail? I won't be running another return from my PI rail. Won't need it.
Benefit? Certainly. If your port rail pressure is constant, the same injector pulse at low boost and high boost would result in an uneven amount of fuel dispensed. If your rail pressure adjusts itself relative to MAP (std fuel pressure regulator), then the boost pressure becomes irrelevant and fuel delivery is much more consistent.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Benefit? Certainly. If your port rail pressure is constant, the same injector pulse at low boost and high boost would result in an uneven amount of fuel dispensed. If your rail pressure adjusts itself relative to MAP (std fuel pressure regulator), then the boost pressure becomes irrelevant and fuel delivery is much more consistent.

If I can ask, what are you using to control fueling / tune as it sits now?

Genuine question. If the pressure is being regulated more carefully, then why require another return from the rail?

CenTXe92

Lurker
Nov 5, 2017
Austin, Texas
Ride
'90 335i Coupe 6MT
If I can ask, what are you using to control fueling / tune as it sits now?

Genuine question. If the pressure is being regulated more carefully, then why require another return from the rail?

There are only 2 ways to control fuel pressure. An ecu utilizing PWM speed control of the pump and a pressure sensor (which requires the computer to compensate the target pressure by using another sensor (map) for an offset) or a fuel pressure regulator with a manifold reference and a return line.

The factory method uses an in-tank FPR and there is no reference line so it is gauge pressure. This is perfectly acceptable since the low pressure pump on an N54 is simply a lift pump to the high pressure direct injection pump.

You can tune around not having constant rail pressure. It requires an additional table to increase/decrease pulse duration based on rail pressure and manifold pressure. That's in addition to the table that increases/decreases duration based on throttle position and rpm.

I'm using a Syvecs, but the same rationale holds regardless. I would also say that mechanical FPR would result in more stable pressure than modulated speed.

• Informative
Reactions: R.G.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
So using the Syvecs, you could simply add the BMP4 controller that was just released, use twin or triple 450s to maintain exact pressure requested by ecu and remove the need for a rail return, no? Or is it more complicated then I’m understanding to maintain pressure to both hpfp and lower pressure rail?

Edit: Ok, I think I get it. Because you have the secondary regulator at the rail would require the return.

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL

Not to take away from this thread as it is for a different product. But we will be releasing our drop in modular replacement pump system for the E-series cars very soon. The billet top hats have multiple configurations, so you can run a regulator at the tank or one upfront however you wish. And you can switch it at anytime ;-)

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Not to take away from this thread as it is for a different product.

Your module arrived quickly. Packaged well.

Relay harness wiring is good quality, not some Amazon $20 special. I'll be heat shrinking the connector ends cuz ocd but no complaints.

Everything that is supposed to be in the box is. Look forward to putting it to work. Should pair nicely with surge tank system.

Attachments

• IMG_2400.jpeg
    IMG_2400.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2399.jpeg
    IMG_2399.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 46