Radium fuel hanger surge tank

Dream_Racer

Sep 22, 2019
Ride
07 335i
I am curious if anyone has any experience with the radium fuel hanger surge tank?

Considering using it in a track car. Capacity looks low, but that is to be expected hanging inside the tank. I suppose it could work depending on its ability to keep the tank full. Will this be controllable through a bpm4? Not sure how the stock pump is handled.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
We have them in stock.. It has a few flaws we're working on a supplemental fuel pump kit for them.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Given how this community works unfortunately we can't share that until we have a kit to sell to address them...

Reactions: doublespaces

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
I am curious if anyone has any experience with the radium fuel hanger surge tank?

Considering using it in a track car. Capacity looks low, but that is to be expected hanging inside the tank. I suppose it could work depending on its ability to keep the tank full. Will this be controllable through a bpm4? Not sure how the stock pump is handled.

Capacity will be fine. Your stock pump becomes a lift pump to keep the surge tank full which is overkill.
You can control everything with the bmp4 or just the surge tank pumps and run the lift pump 100% on.

Dream_Racer

Sep 22, 2019
Ride
07 335i
Thank you. I knew the stock pump became the lift pump, but wasn't sure if the bpm4 would control it. More so if there is any benefit to controlling it that way.
It sounds like its designed to run the lift pump 100% on, and just let it overflow back into the saddle tank.
Capacity will be fine. Your stock pump becomes a lift pump to keep the surge tank full which is overkill.
You can control everything with the bmp4 or just the surge tank pumps and run the lift pump 100% on.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
Yeah, the intent of radium is run the lift pump 100%. They tested it like that. The pump will draw less current than it normally would at 100% because the pressure through the venturi system on its own is less than the stock low pressure regulator. I posted those numbers somewhere on this forum. But if you wanted to control three pumps and one of them was the lift pump you could do that too at the additional expense of the 3 pump controller (assuming you are running two surge tank pumps).

Maybe one day low pressure duty cycle tables will be released for flash tuners....

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The problem with the stock pump its very low flowing and is not e85 compatible I believe, whilst it may work well with low to mid power levels it
will struggle at high power levels and its reliabilty , I'm in the middle of testing this myself atm.

Reactions: Rob09msport

Dream_Racer

Sep 22, 2019
Ride
07 335i
Thanks rac and martymil. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. E85 compatibility isn't a concern. Think I'm going to grab one and try it out.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
Thanks rac and martymil. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. E85 compatibility isn't a concern. Think I'm going to grab one and try it out.

The surge tank also picks up fuel from its base, in order to drain the surge tank due to the stock pump flow being to low you need to continuously outflow 176LPH while the base of the surge tank is also dry. That's one hell of a sweeping left-hander!

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Its not the issue of flow but its not certified for e85, will it last who knows as it was never designed to run it.

In my case im not running e85 so not a real issue but for those that will it might be, sourcing a e85 low volume pump wouldn't be a bad idea

Reactions: Rob09msport