Radium Fuel Pressure Damper

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I recall @martymil mentioning this has helped in another thread, however has anyone else attempted to install one of these to cushion some of the low pressure spikes?

1574193303901.png

1574193388873.png

1574193448671.png

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
We have a number of cars running these here, whilst the damper helps it doesn't fully stop the spikes and other mods need to be done to fully smooth out the lpfp.

The spikes are caused be the switching hpfp valve, the lpfp factory system is not good enough to control this when the fuel hpfp pressure is almost double what factory intended.

But it can be controlled but it's not cheap.

Unless the spikes are causing you tuning or code issues I wouldn't worry about them.

Screenshot_20191120-084603.jpg

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
This is probably correct. I don't think you would see them with an analog monitor.

Sorry guys but that is incorrect, I actually run an analogue meter and you do see the fluctuations if you have them, as I said originally unless your having code or tune related issues
don't waste your time trying to smooth them out as it can get expensive just to have a pretty log.

A damper is the cheapest solution that will at least halve the oscillations but not fix them completely.

FIY don't run a boost reference line on one of these as the oscillations can get worse if you do.

Reactions: NoGuru

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Sorry guys but that is incorrect, I actually run an analogue meter and you do see the fluctuations if you have them, as I said originally unless your having code or tune related issues
don't waste your time trying to smooth them out as it can get expensive just to have a pretty log.

A damper is the cheapest solution that will at least halve the oscillations but not fix them completely.

FIY don't run a boost reference line on one of these as the oscillations can get worse if you do.

Does and aftermarket regulator have more of an impact on the fluctuations compared to the damper?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
they complement/work together nicely with a return line.

Just a hint run the lpfp sensor off the fuel regulator reference port.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
they complement/work together nicely with a return line.

Just a hint run the lpfp sensor off the fuel regulator reference port.

Thank you! I have followed some of the information you have posted in the past regarding the fluctuations.