RB external PCV setup

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
We are now offering a "Non-PNP" version of the kit, which is the same kit aside it removes the more costly to produce Throttle Body Adapter (which allows a PNP setup) in favor of a simple vacuum reference Bung (which requires drilling/tapping for 1/8" NPT into your Intake Manifold). This will take a lot of the sting out of the cost for those looking for a cleaner setup when said and done in trade for some labor hours. In cases where an aftermarket Intake Manifold is installed, and provisioned already for 1/8" NPT threads, this setup would still be PNP.

External PCV Kit (NON-PNP) Options:
Option A (Recommended)- Cost $160
Custom RB Vacuum Reference Nipple with 1/8" NPT Thread
Custom RB External PCV Valve adaptation (with new PCV Valve and grommet)
Custom RB Mishimoto bung interface adapters (Qty 2)
10-32 Head plugs (Qty 6)
Earls Pro-Lite 350 -6AN (~3.3ft)
Constant-Tension Spring-Band Hose Clamps (Qty 4)

Option B- Cost $130
Custom RB Mishimoto bung interface adapters (Qty 2)
10-32 Head plugs (Qty 6)
Constant-Tension Spring-Band Hose Clamps (Qty 4)

Option C- Cost $100
10-32 Head plugs (Qty 6)

NOTE: This is NOT yet on the website and may not be for a bit.

Thanks,
Rob

RBExternalPCVNONPNPNipple.JPG

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
Its the milky yellow stinky shit, I actually have failed rings and am bypassing exhaust into the valve cover, so ive had a ton of moisture in my crank case. But even with blow by im burning next to no oil with the new external pvc, compared to 1 quart every 300 miles
Holy shit, I thought a little over a quart in 5k miles without my low side pcv fixed up yet was bad.

frontside0815

Corporal
Nov 9, 2016
Germany
Because AD-E ´s PCV Delete is again available i just wanted to provide some "realworld" Feedback:

When i did my Turbo conversion (TTE550) i also installed MMP relocation inlets. Because MMP advises to run the PCV side VTA thats what i did.
I gained quite a lot of knowledge on this Topic, but i wasnt 100% sure what Setup would be the best so i kept the one i had:

VTA Hose from Valve Cover without the flapper valve... So in Theory that would mean there is no vacuum inside the engine during idle or low load, because the VTA hose has no restriction which usually is there with the flapper valve.

My Turbos and this Setup is installed approx. 10.000KM, from this 10K KM i had 2 Track Days and 10 or 15 Laps on the Nordschleife and i really had no Problems!
I also made an oil Analysis after around 8.000KM which showed almost no wear of my engine.

So in the End i think my Setup works quite good. Would you buy the PCV Delete?

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
Because AD-E ´s PCV Delete is again available i just wanted to provide some "realworld" Feedback:

When i did my Turbo conversion (TTE550) i also installed MMP relocation inlets. Because MMP advises to run the PCV side VTA thats what i did.
I gained quite a lot of knowledge on this Topic, but i wasnt 100% sure what Setup would be the best so i kept the one i had:

VTA Hose from Valve Cover without the flapper valve... So in Theory that would mean there is no vacuum inside the engine during idle or low load, because the VTA hose has no restriction which usually is there with the flapper valve.

My Turbos and this Setup is installed approx. 10.000KM, from this 10K KM i had 2 Track Days and 10 or 15 Laps on the Nordschleife and i really had no Problems!
I also made an oil Analysis after around 8.000KM which showed almost no wear of my engine.

If your setup is working for you and you are happy with it then see no problem with keeping it as it is.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Would there be a difference in have the external pcv piping size from 6an and upgrade to 8an(1/2) instead for both sides?Or does it not make a difference?My thinking for less restriction/flow for say Single turbo guys running 20 psi and up.

markyb0

Corporal
Jun 17, 2017
Hampton, VA
Ride
2009 335i ST
Ok so I'm going ST soon and I have a setup in mind and wanted to get some feedback if it will be good or not. Stock flapper to turbo filter. Tap on manifold to out on occ. And pcv valve to in on occ. Head will also be tapped. For the pcv valve I seen in a thread that a guy used a ade pcv delete and the rb valve together by cutting the ade fitting and putting the rb valve in the ade fitting. Don't know if you can still do this cause that thread was like 2 years ago but what was the benefit of doing that? Still don't know what catch can to use. I reading about how the bms one has more airflow than the mishimoto one. Has anyone used a vibrant occ? Fitment will probally be tough. What would you guys suggest?

Last edited:

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Ok so I'm going ST soon and I have a setup in mind and wanted to get some feedback if it will be good or not. Stock flapper to turbo filter. Tap on manifold to out on occ. And pcv valve to in on occ. Head will also be tapped. For the pcv valve I seen in a thread that a guy used a ade pcv delete and the rb valve together by cutting the ade fitting and putting the rb valve in the ade fitting. Don't know if you can still do this cause that thread was like 2 years ago but what was the benefit of doing that? Still don't know what catch can to use. I reading about how the bms one has more airflow than the mishimoto one. Has anyone used a vibrant occ? Fitment will probally be tough. What would you guys suggest?

Low load side needs to have a correctly metered orifice, ala the RB valve, to keep from pulling to much vacuum on the crank case under normal cruise(low load) conditions. I can't comment on where or how to route it in the external low load setup though.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I've got the RB on my low side, and the BMS on the high side. After all is said and done it would have been cheaper, simpler and easier to convert to an electronic vacuum pump setup with a single catch can. If you are going ST, it would be even easier to do this considering the added complexity the ST adds to the high side system. Instead of 4 large hoses and their associated routing to two catch cans, you'd have two large hoses to one catch can and a vacuum pump. You don't need to segregate low/high side with this setup as you would always be under negative pressure so that also eliminates some complexity in the valve cover setup too. Most expensive piece would be the catch can. Most difficult piece would be the bracket fabrication. But you'd have a better setup all around.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT

Without the flapper and VTA you will start to smoke at idle.. Maybe slightly on deceleration as well

Put the flapper back in at least..

markyb0

Corporal
Jun 17, 2017
Hampton, VA
Ride
2009 335i ST
I've got the RB on my low side, and the BMS on the high side. After all is said and done it would have been cheaper, simpler and easier to convert to an electronic vacuum pump setup with a single catch can. If you are going ST, it would be even easier to do this considering the added complexity the ST adds to the high side system. Instead of 4 large hoses and their associated routing to two catch cans, you'd have two large hoses to one catch can and a vacuum pump. You don't need to segregate low/high side with this setup as you would always be under negative pressure so that also eliminates some complexity in the valve cover setup too. Most expensive piece would be the catch can. Most difficult piece would be the bracket fabrication. But you'd have a better setup all around.

Ok I'm going to guess how to run this system. So you'd use the stock flapper to the pump, tee'd to the "out" on occ? Then rb valve to "in" on occ? I could be totally wrong I'm new to the pcv system lol. Also what pump would you use?

Kommodore

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Cactus Farm
What's the issue with tee-ing off of the brake booster line for vacuum? If there is a restriction in place (the RB valve) then it shouldn't matter?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
What's the issue with tee-ing off of the brake booster line for vacuum? If there is a restriction in place (the RB valve) then it shouldn't matter?

I think this would be a bad idea, kind of like having a leak in your brake booster line, right?

Kommodore

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Cactus Farm
Or if I had bothered to think about this problem for an extra 5 minutes, the fact that the vacuum pump is internal would negate any potential solution.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I think this would be a bad idea, kind of like having a leak in your brake booster line, right?

Correct. The mechanical vacuum pump on the N54 was engineered to provide the required vacuum and airflow to run the brake booster, the boost control system, and the exhaust flapper. All of those is a closed full vacuum environment with very little airflow/movement. Crankcase ventilation is a completely different animal and requires more airflow but less negative pressure.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

Mnst3r

Lurker
Nov 6, 2016
Honolulu
Anyone, have abs issues and dash lights since install? I have installed on both my 335's and neither of them have abs now. I wonder if this is connected.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Anyone, have abs issues and dash lights since install? I have installed on both my 335's and neither of them have abs now. I wonder if this is connected.

So by abs you mean dsc? Brake related?
The throttle is the only thing you would touch that I can think of that would cause issues... Elaborate you definitely have a high probability you might have wanked something up