RB GF 19T Cast Turbo Review and Results

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Did you short shift early? I trap 98 in the 1/8, but only 128-130 in the 1/4. You're adding a LOT of MPH on the big end which is crazy, but awesome.

Most of runs I either has to lift in 1st or 2nd. A couple weeks ago it was trapping 102-103 at our local 1/8th mile track. Same tune, same launch method etc. Our 1/4 mile track is a nice track but for the "street class" they put a cone at the line and you line up completely out of the groove. I honestly seem to hook better on the street. I purchased a dragy so will try to post up some results of that. On my two crappy runs it went 93 mph and 95 in the 8th and both picked up 35mph on the big end. I just need to get the short track improved.

Reactions: Torgus and langsbr

Coupes66

Corporal
Dec 26, 2017
Ride
BMW 335i N54
On my 10.7s run, I was doing 102mph at 8th but only 129mph at 1/4. However, I did a 1.57s 60' compared to your 2.2s. If you could get your 60' times down into the 1.6-1.7s range, you would be into the 10s over the 1/4 and your 8th speed would increase.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
I trapped about 101, 102 in 8th on my GCs but 129 at qtr. Kept misfiring last gear. Dct, dmf issue.

How much boost and timing?

Since the tune is load based it ends up running more at the end of 4th due to high IATs. On the street it usually peaks 26-27 depending on temps. At the track peak of 26 in 2nd, 28 in 3rd and 30 in 4th. My boost curve tapers up towards redline so these numbers are right at redline and less throughout the gear. Peak timing of 9.8 degrees. If it was an auto or DCT it should be way into the 10s. Dropping out of boost on every shift sure doesn't help.

On my 10.7s run, I was doing 102mph at 8th but only 129mph at 1/4. However, I did a 1.57s 60' compared to your 2.2s. If you could get your 60' times down into the 1.6-1.7s range, you would be into the 10s over the 1/4 and your 8th speed would increase.

Yeah manual cars are not easiest to get down the track, well at least for me. I assume you have an auto?

Coupes66

Corporal
Dec 26, 2017
Ride
BMW 335i N54
Yes I have an auto. However, I thought the launch would be better with a manual as you can get the revs up before launching. With the ZF auto transmission, it is difficult to get the stall high enough to get the boost up for launching. I can understand the manual gear changes are not as consistent as an auto and sometimes slower which doesn't help with the times over a 1/4.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Since the tune is load based it ends up running more at the end of 4th due to high IATs. On the street it usually peaks 26-27 depending on temps. At the track peak of 26 in 2nd, 28 in 3rd and 30 in 4th. My boost curve tapers up towards redline so these numbers are right at redline and less throughout the gear. Peak timing of 9.8 degrees. If it was an auto or DCT it should be way into the 10s. Dropping out of boost on every shift sure doesn't help.

Yeah manual cars are not easiest to get down the track, well at least for me. I assume you have an auto?

Personally I just limited boost at 4500 and below to 20 psi to minimise the chance of bending rods.
Then I'd target say 27 psi from 5000 to redline.
Unfortunately I've not yet fitted a single mass flywheel to eliminate the false misfires.
Would have liked to do that while upgrading dct clutch packs but life got in the way.

Don't you have no lift shifts?

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Yes I have an auto. However, I thought the launch would be better with a manual as you can get the revs up before launching. With the ZF auto transmission, it is difficult to get the stall high enough to get the boost up for launching. I can understand the manual gear changes are not as consistent as an auto and sometimes slower which doesn't help with the times over a 1/4.
You can get the revs up but it is essentially a free rev and not loading the car like an auto. Not to say it can turn a good 60 foot it's just not easy. The 1-2 shift is the hardest for me.

Personally I just limited boost at 4500 and below to 20 psi to minimise the chance of bending rods.
Then I'd target say 27 psi from 5000 to redline.
Unfortunately I've not yet fitted a single mass flywheel to eliminate the false misfires.
Would have liked to do that while upgrading dct clutch packs but life got in the way.

Don't you have no lift shifts?

Yes my tune is setup the same roughly 18-19 psi under 4500 and then low 20s tapering up to 26-27 at redline. Hard to beat a DCT.

Yes, MHD NLS apparently works I haven't really tried it. Its an odd feeling and hard on the car as well. At the end of the day it's not a drag car.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
FYI, I have went to the drag stirp many times with my car and DCT SUCKS to launch. If you use launch control you have traction partially on which is no good.
You just have to mash the pedal and hope for the tune or your foot to make any adjustments until you get traction.
I have DAW 19'ts and here is my time. Think I am on 23#'s of boost.

Attachments

• 11.6.png
    11.6.png
    264.8 KB · Views: 91

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
FYI, I have went to the drag stirp many times with my car and DCT SUCKS to launch. If you use launch control you have traction partially on which is no good.
You just have to mash the pedal and hope for the tune or your foot to make any adjustments until you get traction.
I have DAW 19'ts and here is my time. Think I am on 23#'s of boost.

First took my DCT car to the drag strip in 2015. Always been frustrated by the launching. Although now there's xhp, it may help.

Launching hard is a great way to break drive shafts, axles, diffs though

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I forgot to mention I do have xHP Stage 3 installed. While it is better it's still SUCKS ;)

oh sh1t really!?

I had hoped to get that and try it soon but my turbos blew a few weeks ago.

Was going to try that quick launch option. Not the full launch control.

That's really disappointing to hear :disappointed:

This is a video when I was on stock turbos and had flashed the 3500 rpm launch control onto the car.
Had high hopes but 60fts were still only 2.4 to 2.6 sec. Car was also struggling for grip (on bloody stock turbos!) in the crappy cold weather and poor track prep.

Launch control 3500rpm

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
oh sh1t really!?

I had hoped to get that and try it soon but my turbos blew a few weeks ago.

Was going to try that quick launch option. Not the full launch control.

That's really disappointing to hear :disappointed:

This is a video when I was on stock turbos and had flashed the 3500 rpm launch control onto the car.
Had high hopes but 60fts were still only 2.4 to 2.6 sec. Car was also struggling for grip (on bloody stock turbos!) in the crappy cold weather and poor track prep.

Launch control 3500rpm
lol, Same for me. Flashed the 135 for the 3500 launches but the problem is using launch control the traction is still half on, and it creates throttle closers.

I think it is worth xHP for the increased line pressure but don't expect much better times at the strip.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Just checking back in for an update. Cars is still running well not much changed. The starter recently died, so I plan on fixing that, add a dedicated MAP sensor for the PI, installing the VRSF race intercooler and possibly add a regulator/return line.

My brother was in town so I gave him a quick ride. Since it was on street tires and had a passenger I did not take traction fully off. Even then it is a handful. Here is a quick vid he took (please ignore the missing dash trim I was chasing a rattle and have new clips on the way)

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Just checking back in for an update. Cars is still running well not much changed. The starter recently died, so I plan on fixing that, add a dedicated MAP sensor for the PI, installing the VRSF race intercooler and possibly add a regulator/return line.

My brother was in town so I gave him a quick ride. Since it was on street tires and had a passenger I did not take traction fully off. Even then it is a handful. Here is a quick vid he took (please ignore the missing dash trim I was chasing a rattle and have new clips on the way)

Funny. My starter seems to have died also. Happened after changing the valve cover. Just getting a click when trying to start the car.

Few other thing's have gone as well. Wipers are coming on and wont turn off. Could be a screwed junction box, fuses or ground cable.
Fun and games. Has been like that for weeks and haven't had the will to look at fixing it yet. Plus weather in UK is cold, wet and windy this time of year. I don't have a garage to work on it in.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Funny. My starter seems to have died also. Happened after changing the valve cover. Just getting a click when trying to start the car.

Few other thing's have gone as well. Wipers are coming on and wont turn off. Could be a screwed junction box, fuses or ground cable.
Fun and games. Has been like that for weeks and haven't had the will to look at fixing it yet. Plus weather in UK is cold, wet and windy this time of year. I don't have a garage to work on it in.

Ouch! Luckily I don't have the other issues just the no start. I haven't bench tested the starter, so hopefully that is the issue. I have a new one from FCP coming tomorrow. Thankfully it is a manual and I was able to roll start it and get it home. My wife was not terribly amused pushing it through the parking lot 😂. In the 9 years of owning the car it has not left me stranded.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Is that the only custom line or is the front one changed as well ? I’ll be ordering my set most likely early next week. Any complaints or issues so far ?
It is just the one rear line. The rear heat shield needs to be slightly dented in to clear the larger turbine housing. Outside of that they bolt right up. No issues this far. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them!