RB GF 19T Cast Turbo Review and Results

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
How is he guessing? Everything stated were facts. The "19ts" are nothing new except using a cheap chinafold instead of machining stock housings. You could buy a similar product YEARS ago. I would he happy to wager that GFs would make much more power in comparison to a China 19t setup with similar mods and same boost and timing levels.

Edit: Lets not derail the thread with another China turbo debate.

LOL beat me to it. I was going to say that nothing I mentioned had anything to do with results. But also for him to let us know when he makes 680whp at 27psi, like someone did with RB GFs ;) which there's no chance will happen, but OMG the backpressure if they even come close.

I'll give the 19T chinas a fighting shot to 550whp, but anything over 600 is just a happy dyno.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Your forgot one of the biggest GF pros
- balanced on a VSR to very high specification by a pro.

I forget the numbers Robs shoots for. Discussed somewhere on line.. But each set of GFs come with a real balance sheet for the turbos you bought, not a xerox copy of some random graph.

Filippo

I would have to go back and dig up the exact specs but yes that is correct. I should have expanded and bit on that. Also for clarification the balancing goes for any set of RB turbos.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
After the borla muffler was added the sound is great. The downside the exhaust is fairly low. If it becomes an issue I'll have it modified. I have posted a sound clip below.

I went to the 1/8th mile track this past Thursday. I was hoping for low 7s but was only able to get two runs in. Ended up with high 7s both runs. The first run it spun bad in 1st and I had a slow 1-2 shift. The second run the 1-2 was a little better but had low timing. Overall 103mph out of a full weight manual e90 and driving an hour and a half each way is nothing to complain about. The next trip will be a 1/4 mile and hopefully get the launch and 1-2 shift figured out. I would love to see a 135+ mph pass.
PXL_20201004_231633753.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20201009_035959956.MP.jpg

Last edited:

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Awesome time. Is that on pump gas or your E tune? What tires are you running in the rear? Are you NLS? I use the MHD NLS but can''t for the life of me hit second gear - not sure if it's mental or what, but I miss second every time I try to NLS. 3rd and up are fine.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Awesome time. Is that on pump gas or your E tune? What tires are you running in the rear? Are you NLS? I use the MHD NLS but can''t for the life of me hit second gear - not sure if it's mental or what, but I miss second every time I try to NLS. 3rd and up are fine.

That was on E85. They are Toyo TQ 275/40r17's, a drag radial but still street-able. I did not do a burnout, so I am sure that would have helped. I will be sure to when I go back to the 1/4 mile track. As for not being able to hit 2nd, switch to Redline MT-90. I kept getting locked out of 2nd, its probably not you, it is the trans. This time I was able to hit it no problem, but lifted at the top of 1st from it spinning, so dropped out of boost and lost a bunch of momentum. Honestly I have never NLS the car. I will have to give it a try. It would help a ton ET's and MPH a good bit carrying boost through the gears.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
II thought we had to use ATF - I have some Redline ATF for it, just haven't used it yet. Is the MT-90 that much better? I'm in SC as well, so it's a warm climate rather than cold if that matters.

The MHD NLS has helped me carry and extra 5lbs or more of boost between shifts, which definitely helps.

Reactions: Blaster3500

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
The factory fill is thicker than ATF. The MT90 is thicker than the factory fill. I have not tried in super cold temperatures but I will be able to update soon. I had the Pentosin MTF-2 in it and so far I like the Redline better in all conditions. Once it gets around freezing I may have different results.

Considering I am going into vac between shifts it can't hurt :tearsofjoy:

https://www.bimmer boost.com/showthread.php?43633-6MT-Drag-Racers-heads-up!-)

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Great times. I, too, was curious about the rear tire. That's meaty! I am about to go square setup but can barely squeeze 255 in front/rear.

I would *love* an in cam video when you are ripping it down the track!

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Great times. I, too, was curious about the rear tire. That's meaty! I am about to go square setup but can barely squeeze 255 in front/rear.

I would *love* an in cam video when you are ripping it down the track!
Thanks! I'll brought my GoPro and forgot to mount it. I'll be going to the 1/4 mile track in the next few weeks and will be sure to get in car vids. I did take a video testing launching on the street. As you can tell it didn't go so good 😂. The drag radials had about 26psi in them so that was part of the problem.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Thanks! I'll brought my GoPro and forgot to mount it. I'll be going to the 1/4 mile track in the next few weeks and will be sure to get in car vids. I did take a video testing launching on the street. As you can tell it didn't go so good 😂. The drag radials had about 26psi in them so that was part of the problem.

That is a freaking handful, right there. Holy crap man!

You have a very similar driveline setup to me... it's incredible to see it fighting that power. hahaha

What a car. This thing is wild.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
What track you heading to and when? If I can get mine back together I might try to make it.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
That is a freaking handful, right there. Holy crap man!

You have a very similar driveline setup to me... it's incredible to see it fighting that power. hahaha

What a car. This thing is wild.

It's fun haha. Definitely needs boost limited in 1st. On street tires 2nd wraps up faster than 1st on the drag radials. I took a log the other day. From 4k it took less than a second to hit limiter from the time I went full throttle

What track you heading to and when? If I can get mine back together I might try to make it.

It is probably a haul for you. Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, Ga. The 1/8 mile track is in Greer, SC. Much closer for you. They have test and tune on Thursday nights. Once you get your car together let me know and I would be happy to meet up there.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
That's brutal quick. 1 second? sheeesh. I would love to see that car at the dragstrip, but...

View attachment 45065

😂
Haha definitely not worth the trip to see a heavy e90 with a sub par driver 😂. I'll be sure to get good videos. I had my wife record at the 1/8th mile track. Needless to say I got a video of a grey f30 that was a few cars in front of me. Here is the log from the 2nd gear roll on street tires and e85. It isn't as bad in warmer weather.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Went to the local 1/4 mile track tonight. I was only able to get one good pass. Once it cooled down I struggled bad with traction issues. Not a great ET but I was very happy with the trap (134.23). I wish the prep at the 1/4 mile is as good as out local 1/8th mile track. The car constantly picked up 35mph on the big end. Using ricer math, if I was able to combine that with the 1/8 track time it would be trapping 137mph. Below are some pics and vids. I took one video showing the car is 100% full weight down to the floor mats.

PXL_20201023_230341863.MP.jpg

PXL_20201023_232209818.MP.jpg

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
Making some power there. Puts alot of single turbo 6266 setups to shame.

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
I agree but it's only part of the story. If you do a Google on MMP turbo's, it's usually Rob replying, talking shit and smack without any solid background info on his claims. Basically behaving like a little bitch who got bettered by the competion (at that point in time anyway)
Also in some E-mail conversations we had I was also not impressed.Very arrogant and I got lied to repeatedly about my PCV kit bieng shipped out. It took him weeks. And this all was still in a "good guy new customer" settings. I would never want to get in a warranty claim issue with him so I avoided him and went with MMP, who actually sent me more than what was promised, way better pricing, quick and direct on the E-mail and has a nice clan of MMP drivers to share experiences with.

Any reports/results from any twin turbo guys, regardless of brand, who run 26PSI+ on twins, i ignore. Those guys should get singles :)

This is funny.
Wheres mmp now?
Whos still making n54 turbos?

Where will all these $1000 chinese turbo companies be in 1-2 years?
Gone like the other past 15 companies. They all promise better everything, more power, 3 year gurantee but all disappear within 2 years.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
This is funny.
Wheres mmp now?
Whos still making n54 turbos?

Where will all these $1000 chinese turbo companies be in 1-2 years?
Gone like the other past 15 companies. They all promise better everything, more power, 3 year gurantee but all disappear within 2 years.

The opinion is MMP is unreliable junk that doesn't perform. RB trash talked alot but his Turbos work well.

That's a great trap on the GFs

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Did you short shift early? I trap 98 in the 1/8, but only 128-130 in the 1/4. You're adding a LOT of MPH on the big end which is crazy, but awesome.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Did you short shift early? I trap 98 in the 1/8, but only 128-130 in the 1/4. You're adding a LOT of MPH on the big end which is crazy, but awesome.
I trapped about 101, 102 in 8th on my GCs but 129 at qtr. Kept misfiring last gear. Dct, dmf issue.

How much boost and timing?