Rear end vibration

NOBLNKR

Lurker
Nov 5, 2016
Fairfax, Virginia
Recently took off my air ride as the novelty wore off. I went back to a Koni shock / H&R sport springs combo. It rode well, but seem to be jarring at times. I put the stock springs back in and it still ride pretty bad regardless of what I do. I finally got the front to ride well at 1 turn from soft. I need to replace the control arms and tie rods since I still have a vibration that I assume is the ball joints.

On the rear I just did the Whiteline inserts last week. It doesn't matter how much I adjust the rear dampening I seem to get this low speed undulation almost like the car is riding on oval tires in the rear instead of circles. Seems to dissipate once I get to highway speeds. Feel is always there. Went from my previous MPSS to brand new DWS06.

Would a ball joint back this cause this? Drivetrain issues? Warped rotors?

I am just trying to get this figured out so I can have a smooth ride to and from work.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
It could actually be your tires. In many cases, that is exactly what is wrong even when your tires appear fine. Try moving your tires from front to back if you can and see if anything changes.

Reactions: TurboMike

Drivrmod

Lurker
Nov 2, 2016
Was the car sitting for a while? Like @doublespaces said it could be the tires. When the car sits for a while the tires will develop flat spots. Driving around for a little while should round them back out and make the vibration go away.

rambleon84

Dec 2, 2016
I always suggest starting soft and seeing how that changes the ride then go stiffer as needed. Although,doesn't sound like dampening is the issue.

Can you describe the jarring a little more? Does it change at certain speeds, can you feel it while at speed when cornering? Any vibrations, is it constant?

TurboMike

Corporal
Nov 22, 2016
PA
It could actually be your tires. In many cases, that is exactly what is wrong even when your tires appear fine. Try moving your tires from front to back if you can and see if anything changes.
I had an issue I thought was alignment and had that performed twice and it turned out to be a front tire that both were basically new. I know this is vibration but just to highlight things tires can cause

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
I am adjusting my shocks to almost full stiff to see if that helps. We will see. It seems to be never ending adjustments haha

Honestly man it could be a lot of different things. Jack up the rear, pop the tires off and check all the bushings visually. Make sure your strut tower bolts are torqued when loaded but for the most part you can eliminate a lot of possibilities by just visually inspecting everything back there. Take some photos and post them up if not sure what to look for.

Sshec152

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Aston pa
When was the car last aligned? Subframe mounts are likely not going to have anything to do with it.
He will have to get an alignment after doing subframe bushings anyways so hopefully that fixes his issue. It very well could be an alignment issue after it started once he changed suspensions without getting it aligned.