Rebuilding a blowed up 335is

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Can someone please let me know, do I need special tools just to pull the head? Obviously to set timing I will, but for removal?

if I were you, id start looking for another motor. Usually when you melt stuff its not so fun and the cylinder liner takes the fall as a result...

I want to see what I have first, but I'm not ignorant enough to believe that isn't a good possibility. Obviously I'm hoping not.

There's a set of swingarm/fork lifts in the garage but no motorcycle in sight. That's taking the squid scene to a whole new level.

If you were better at photo stalking you can see part of the bike in one of the pics! But for those of you who are blind, here's a better pic:

20170724_112136.jpg

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Can someone please let me know, do I need special tools just to pull the head? Obviously to set timing I will, but for removal?

I want to see what I have first, but I'm not ignorant enough to believe that isn't a good possibility. Obviously I'm hoping not.

If you were better at photo stalking you can see part of the bike in one of the pics! But for those of you who are blind, here's a better pic:

View attachment 12462

Side note. One of my motorcycles broke down once while I was out on a spirited ride. Easy fix but I needed a screwdriver and a new part. Called a friend to come pick me up.

So here I am in full leathers, Sidi boots, etc climbing into a turbo Acura Integra with a big wing. We are driving down the interstate between Baltimore and D.C. and a Mustang pulls up next to us with the occupants laughing. I am sure I looked silly with my leather clad arm hanging out the window of a ricer. But I asked my friend if he was down for smoking the mustang and he was game. The car put down 400hp and was no joke on a roll. I didn't even say anything to the mustang guys, I just reached down to the floorboard, grabbed my helmet, and put it on. I then looked at them with my visor up, and rather dramatically I closed the visor and with my fingers did a countdown from 3, 2, 1. They got the idea and we both took off. About 5-6 car lengths later the mustang let off when it realized that it picked on something out of its weight class. And it wouldn't pass us (embarrassment set in). So my friend slowed to like 40mph on the interstate forcing the guy to pass us. I never took the helmet off, or lifted the visor, said a word, or flinched. I just wolf stared him as he went past.

We laughed about that for years.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Ya but do I need special tools to remove an N54 head?

According to BMW you do.

In reality however if you just do 1/8th turns on the cam cap bolts and evenly release the spring pressure you'll be just fine on disassembly.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
20180620_235856.jpg
Ask @V8bait about this story. Back in high school we took my Dad's car out one night, black on black 1994 Z28 Camaro, 6MT convertible. We were just cruising for pussy, not really out to race or anything. And back in 2002 or so a Z28 6-speed wouldn't face much competition anyway. Well some riced out Civic comes along side us and starts the typical rice shit. So after a few blocks or so I decide to let him have it. In neutral I give him a few revs of LT1 noise. Put it in 6th, and we were on. 6th gear from 35mph or so, must've been right off idle, maybe 1500 rpm. He was slamming gears hanging on my back bumper until 70. Justin and I were fucking dying, I never took it out of 6th and put him on my bumper.

Watched a couple YouTube videos, looks like tear down is easy with standard tools. Thanks for that. Would you mind posting up some shit about intercooler install?

Turbos looks good. Compressors are clean, moderate shaft play but that's to be expected. However the back bank down pipe is black as fuck.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
#6 piston cracked straight across in half, and damage to rings on 5 and 6. Pics of that stuff soon. I'm still waiting on some parts from FCP Euro and @V8bait to send me his injector O-ring tool.

20180624_012357.jpg
20180629_223419.jpg