Recurring 2a87

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
I have an 07 e90 335i with about 119k miles and as of lately I have been experiencing 2a87 exhaust vanos mechanism. I have already replaced both vanos solenoids and the code still pops up even when I am not on it. I am fearing the worst and think it could be my cam ledge bearings. I am not mechanically inclined to do this job myself so I will be taking it to a local BMW indy shop. My question is, once they are in there to do this job, is there anything else to look at or replace while they are there (like replacing oil pan gasket while turbos are out)?

Thanks in advance.

Coupes66

Corporal
Dec 26, 2017
Ride
BMW 335i N54
I have an 07 e90 335i with about 119k miles and as of lately I have been experiencing 2a87 exhaust vanos mechanism. I have already replaced both vanos solenoids and the code still pops up even when I am not on it. I am fearing the worst and think it could be my cam ledge bearings. I am not mechanically inclined to do this job myself so I will be taking it to a local BMW indy shop. My question is, once they are in there to do this job, is there anything else to look at or replace while they are there (like replacing oil pan gasket while turbos are out)?

Thanks in advance.
You don't have to remove the turbos to get to the camshafts. Have you tried swapping the camshaft sensors over to see if the sensor is faulty. They are located just above the vanos solenoids.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
About a year ago I saw a posting about mesh filters for the VANOS units fitted into the right side of engine block. If these VANOS filters are too clogged it could possibly cause these VANOS codes.

Last edited:

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Is your oil cap filter tube there? I bought a car that had it's missing and caused me that code.

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
Bad oil, a clogged filter, or persistently low oil can cause the solenoids to not function properly resulting in this code. Cleaning off camshaft sensors, vanos solenoids, and the wiring terminals on both sides (into sensor, into dme) may alleviate the code. Given the mileage, it seems unlikely to me that it would be the ledges but it could well be if the cyl head did not receive adequate oiling over it's life.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Bad oil, a clogged filter, or persistently low oil can cause the solenoids to not function properly resulting in this code. Cleaning off camshaft sensors, vanos solenoids, and the wiring terminals on both sides (into sensor, into dme) may alleviate the code. Given the mileage, it seems unlikely to me that it would be the ledges but it could well be if the cyl head did not receive adequate oiling over it's life.
I wonder whether using Liqui Moly Engine Flush before an oil change would help to clean things up here?
Liqui Moly 2037 Pro-Line Engine Flush - 500 Milliliters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CR3RXTO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-4KuDbAJVW33Q

Reactions: RuskiRacer

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
I had my camshaft seals replaced with the N55 type at around 100.000kms last year. Have done a ton of track days, and had no problems since. Got the code on track in correlation with high coolant and oil temps (280F or so), and replacing both solenoids didn't fix the issue permanently. Swapping the seal did. I guess the track use made the problem appear earlier on my car than other N54s.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
My ledges went at 80k miles. Tried all of the above and nothing fixed it but replacing the actual cam ledges. They were visibly worn. Not sure what causes it as proper maintenance has been done on the car for it's whole life.

colo_evo

Corporal
Jun 6, 2017
Ride
E90 335i MT
I had my camshaft seals replaced with the N55 type at around 100.000kms last year. Have done a ton of track days, and had no problems since. Got the code on track in correlation with high coolant and oil temps (280F or so), and replacing both solenoids didn't fix the issue permanently. Swapping the seal did. I guess the track use made the problem appear earlier on my car than other N54s.

Hot oil is thinner and the worn ledges couldn't contain the oil. My issue was also exposed with hot engine oil temps and got worse as time went on.

• Informative
Reactions: Asbjorn

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
The oil cap filter tube and both cam position sensors were replaced and now I am throwing 2aa1 exhaust cam sensor. Going to double check the connection from the sensor to the dme now, but if it persists... Cam ledge? :cry:

VasN54

Apr 19, 2021
Reviving this thread some extra questions.
What were the symptoms you were having? I'm having some issues right now despite changing Vanos solenoids a few months ago. I'm warrantying them right now and doing new crankshaft position sensors. I'm also going to try the check valve again. I have a single turbo 09 and I'm really hoping it's not my ledges!

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
I kept throwing 2a87 despite all of the recommendations mentioned in this thread. I bit the bullet and replaced the exhaust cam ledge and the problem was fixed.

Reactions: RuskiRacer