Revshift 80A Motor Mount Review, 80A transmission mount review

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

They are 350 plus shipping for a pair from Revshift direct. Since you are buying a used one - 2 weeks used, I can offer $150 including shipping if you are interested. Otherwise, I am keeping it for backup stock.

PM if you want it. 80A black (95A is the green one...stay away from those).

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Today I just installed driver side stock 335i motor mount with reinforced 3m polymer to fill the voids of the stock mount. I raised my minimum idle to 900rpm and it is smooth as stock. So now the car has :

Driver side stock 335i reinforced engine mount.
Revshift 80A transmission mounts.
Passenger side revshift 80A engine mount.

I may also do a test of reinstalling my used rogue engineering trans mounts and see if I can lower my minimum idle less than 900.

Tested 80A revahift passenger side motor mount with stock reinforced driver side mount and Rogue engineering trans mounts.

Results:
Stock idle settings still rumbly and shakey
700 rpm idle little less
800 rpm less
900 rpm no NVH detectable.

Previously when all were revshift mounts on motor and trans, NVH were noticeable about 50% more. And highway road noise was also 50% more tranferred from tires to interior.

Conclusion, will keep this configuration with 900rpm idle, since it is most quiet. Even though stock idle is out of the question.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
What 3M polymer did you use to reinforce your driver side motor mount? If it’s a high temperature polymer I wonder whether such a modified motor mount would work well enough on the passenger side to help further reduce NVH and thereby idle rpm?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
What 3M polymer did you use to reinforce your driver side motor mount? If it’s a high temperature polymer I wonder whether such a modified motor mount would work well enough on the passenger side to help further reduce NVH and thereby idle rpm?

3m 08609 used by nascar to reinforce rubber motor mounts.

When the revshift mounts go kablooey..i will try the passenger stock mounts with the 3m.

Reactions: Torgus and Jeffman

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
3m 08609 used by nascar to reinforce rubber motor mounts.

When the revshift mounts go kablooey..i will try the passenger stock mounts with the 3m.

Allow minimum 12 hrs to cure.

Reactions: Jeffman

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Tested 80A revahift passenger side motor mount with stock reinforced driver side mount and Rogue engineering trans mounts.

Results:
Stock idle settings still rumbly and shakey
700 rpm idle little less
800 rpm less
900 rpm no NVH detectable.

Previously when all were revshift mounts on motor and trans, NVH were noticeable about 50% more. And highway road noise was also 50% more tranferred from tires to interior.

Conclusion, will keep this configuration with 900rpm idle, since it is most quiet. Even though stock idle is out of the question.

That's a slight bummer regarding the vibration. I had to bump my idle up to 950 to reduce the vibrations (but car still dips below 950 and rattles). Currently running the RevShift 80A motor mounts and Rogue Engineering transmission mounts. The transmission mounts GREATLY reduced the vibrations; it is hard to recommend a stiff trans mount on this platform.

Seems like OEM with the 3M filling is the best bet for NVH. I love the feeling of the motor mounts when driving but idle NVH is a handful for my daily driver. :)

Reactions: matreyia

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
That's a slight bummer regarding the vibration. I had to bump my idle up to 950 to reduce the vibrations (but car still dips below 950 and rattles).
I find it can come and go, at idle. I've not bumped the idle on the Z4. But I've also done a bunch of sound deadening in my car and maybe that helps (and structurally it is a Z4 which is different so ... not comparing, just sharing).

Currently running the RevShift 80A motor mounts and Rogue Engineering transmission mounts. The transmission mounts GREATLY reduced the vibrations; it is hard to recommend a stiff trans mount on this platform.
Bingo. The RE mounts are meaty rubber, when compared to the factory unit. If concerned about deflection, the AKG trans mount cups fit perfectly over them and provide no increase in NVH since all they do is limit any possible deflection of the rubber.

Seems like OEM with the 3M filling is the best bet for NVH. I love the feeling of the motor mounts when driving but idle NVH is a handful for my daily driver. :)
Multiple use cases over time seem to bear out our knowledge on this platform. It just seems to take time to bear out.

Filippo

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
That's a slight bummer regarding the vibration. I had to bump my idle up to 950 to reduce the vibrations (but car still dips below 950 and rattles). Currently running the RevShift 80A motor mounts and Rogue Engineering transmission mounts. The transmission mounts GREATLY reduced the vibrations; it is hard to recommend a stiff trans mount on this platform.

View attachment 24450View attachment 24451

hmmmm... 950 seems unnecessary. even with revshift transmounts and both sides of motor mount, 900 took away almost all vibrations. Of course, my engine is pristine and oil is changed 3k to 4k per cycle and I also have ceratec in use. So it may run smoother in any case.

With the stock driver mount and roque trans mounts, there is absolutely no NHV to be felt or heard at 900 RPM idle. Even during transient changes when coming to a stop and the engine has to settle, there is barely anything disturbing the car...you know what I am talking about? When you stop at a light the engine settles and the NVH goes up to god level for a moment before settling down.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
I find it can come and go, at idle. I've not bumped the idle on the Z4. But I've also done a bunch of sound deadening in my car and maybe that helps (and structurally it is a Z4 which is different so ... not comparing, just sharing).

Bingo. The RE mounts are meaty rubber, when compared to the factory unit. If concerned about deflection, the AKG trans mount cups fit perfectly over them and provide no increase in NVH since all they do is limit any possible deflection of the rubber.

Multiple use cases over time seem to bear out our knowledge on this platform. It just seems to take time to bear out.

Filippo

Agreed on your points. My car has a dashboard rattle that is quite loud. I can't find the panel that is vibrating but I will add some deadener to it if/when I find it!

The RE mounts are fantastic in my opinion, if not a wee bit expensive. I love the construction and the complete disconnection of the bolts on each side. Deflection isn't a huge concern for me with the DCT but I will consider those AKG cups. Thank you for the response!

hmmmm... 950 seems unnecessary. even with revshift transmounts and both sides of motor mount, 900 took away almost all vibrations. Of course, my engine is pristine and oil is changed 3k to 4k per cycle and I also have ceratec in use. So it may run smoother in any case.

With the stock driver mount and roque trans mounts, there is absolutely no NHV to be felt or heard at 900 RPM idle. Even during transient changes when coming to a stop and the engine has to settle, there is barely anything disturbing the car...you know what I am talking about? When you stop at a light the engine settles and the NVH goes up to god level for a moment before settling down.

I don't like the high idle but I have some plastic panels rattling in the car. The vibration isn't terrible for me but the loud plastic rattling is...

My car has 100k miles and is currently being walnut blasted (another ordeal going on in my garage right now) to help with the idling. That might help with the vibrations. I will try 900 after the 'operation'! :)

The great thing that we have been doing in this thread is providing feedback to anyone curious about these mounts of a combination thereof. Great to see the feedback.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Anyone wear out a set of RE trans mounts yet? Mine have a touch over 50k miles and some slop has returned recently.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Anyone wear out a set of RE trans mounts yet? Mine have a touch over 50k miles and some slop has returned recently.

I reckon they would wear out just as bad as stock ones eventually. That's why I replaced my RE trans mounts this time around and my car only had 50K miles on the trans mounts.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Agreed on your points. My car has a dashboard rattle that is quite loud. I can't find the panel that is vibrating but I will add some deadener to it if/when I find it!

The RE mounts are fantastic in my opinion, if not a wee bit expensive. I love the construction and the complete disconnection of the bolts on each side. Deflection isn't a huge concern for me with the DCT but I will consider those AKG cups. Thank you for the response!

I don't like the high idle but I have some plastic panels rattling in the car. The vibration isn't terrible for me but the loud plastic rattling is...

My car has 100k miles and is currently being walnut blasted (another ordeal going on in my garage right now) to help with the idling. That might help with the vibrations. I will try 900 after the 'operation'! :)

The great thing that we have been doing in this thread is providing feedback to anyone curious about these mounts of a combination thereof. Great to see the feedback.

Loud plastic rattle is easily fixed. A little 3m tape. Find the rattle and take it apart and stuff tape in the spots.
My two catch cans rattled like crazy and that worked its way into the cabin and sounded like plastic rattling in the cabin...but I took it all apart and reinstalled the cans tighter and farther away from any possible metal parts that could bump up against it. now car is super quiet.

Reactions: Jeffman

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Curious how you know if it is the trans mounts that are showing slop? I'm also wondering if there is wear in those mounts, if the cups help prevent that (by limiting any excessive movement of the mount, itself).

Filippo

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Curious how you know if it is the trans mounts that are showing slop? I'm also wondering if there is wear in those mounts, if the cups help prevent that (by limiting any excessive movement of the mount, itself).

Filippo

I don't. I was asking if anyone has seen it yet. I should have laid eyes on them this weekend when I did my oil and diff fluid change. That said, I can feel the trans move when cornering hard as i have the same sort of gear hunting if trying to shift (6mt) as I did before I replaced the stock trans mounts, so it's either the engine or transmission mounts, or both, which in my case is most likely as the engine mounts are OE and have ~110k miles.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I don't. I was asking if anyone has seen it yet. I should have laid eyes on them this weekend when I did my oil and diff fluid change. That said, I can feel the trans move when cornering hard as i have the same sort of gear hunting if trying to shift (6mt) as I did before I replaced the stock trans mounts, so it's either the engine or transmission mounts, or both, which in my case is most likely as the engine mounts are OE and have ~110k miles.

The engine mounts are the culprit I believe. Although even new, the rogue mounts can only do so much and will deteriorate faster if the engine moves too much from shit motor mounts. So it wouldn't matter if you kept replacing the trans mounts, the would keep getting destroyed from excessive engine motion due to the nonfunctional motor mounts. All that twisting is going into the trans mount and would destroy them pretty quick.

Last edited:

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
True, I am considering swapping out the trans mounts to test that. RE trans mounts wee my original plans but the RevShift mounts were cheap enough to try when I ordered. I haven't seen many people change the bushings with DCT and maybe that is my mistake as well... Will experiment!

After 100k miles, my mounts felt perfectly fine with no collapsing. Quite shocking.

Dont do transmission mounts on a dct car unless you want the car to sound like a racecar. The transmission has so many noises you wont imagine, and just sounds broken at lower rpms with poly mounts. It sounds very aggressive at higher rpms, and makes it fun to rev the car in neutral but thats about it. I had mine in for one day before going back to stock.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
The engine mounts are the culprit I believe. Although even new, the rogue mounts can only do so much and will deteriorate faster if the engine moves too much from shit motor mounts. So it wouldn't matter if you kept replacing the trans mounts, the would keep getting destroyed from excessive engine motion due to the nonfunctional motor mounts. All that twisting is going into the trans mount and would destroy them pretty quick.

Oh yeah, I'm not replacing them until I do the turbo swap and put these 80A revshift engine mounts in.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Loud plastic rattle is easily fixed. A little 3m tape. Find the rattle and take it apart and stuff tape in the spots.
My two catch cans rattled like crazy and that worked its way into the cabin and sounded like plastic rattling in the cabin...but I took it all apart and reinstalled the cans tighter and farther away from any possible metal parts that could bump up against it. now car is super quiet.

Forgot to update here, I've been driving the car after the walnut blast and all rattles are gone. I think the rough idle was causing the rattles with the car and causes the dips below 900-950. All is well now!

Sheesh, the catch cans had some rattles as well; I didn't use 3M tape but instead put some pieces of thin rubber between the strut bars and the brackets. Drove me nuts trying to find the source of those rattles! hahaha