Ad: Revshift N54 Motor Mounts

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
...Came fully assembled with instructions if I wanted to swap out for the 95A race inserts. Installed just like OEM. Great fit and finish on them. I like that i could upgrade to the 95A if i ever so desired(I doubt I will) Neat design...
Wait so these come fully assembled? I thought I had to pull them apart and reassemble them according to that diagram....

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
How much? Proof?

How about you look one post up? lol

I'll measure a stock 034 (brand new) mount the same way that Filippo did and maybe we can go off that, but 100% these sit higher than a stock motor mount with 60k miles on it.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Wait so these come fully assembled? I thought I had to pull them apart and reassemble them according to that diagram....

They do not come in fully assembled, that person did not read the instructions probably. You have to take them apart and apply loctite, tighten fully once they are in the car, etc.

Reactions: Cheezy

John@DBV2

Sergeant
Jan 23, 2017
Do they actually sit higher or were your stock ones so worn that the engine sat lower?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Do they actually sit higher or were your stock ones so worn that the engine sat lower?
John@Revshift said they are the same height as factory. Just the fact that my original 30k motor mount on the passenger side measured 3mm shorter than the driver side tells me they compress. How much? No idea. If someone has a brand new BMW OE mount I'd like to know its height.

Installation instructions ask that one unthreads all threads, applies included 242 loctite, and rethread to torque spec.

I'd just like to understand if the factory mounts wear out so much that I'd see a 9-12mm height difference. From the photos one can tell it is not a small amount. If it was not for the strut bar that runs across my motor I don't know if I would have noticed.

Filippo

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Have you driven the car Filippo? Or completely paused due to strut brace not fitting.
Good question. Completely paused because we didn't get to finishing the suspension - ride height, corner balance, alignment. We'll wrap it up Tuesday, and hopefully get flex fuel wired in as well.

Filippo

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Ok wanted to follow up with you all. John @ @Revshift was kind enough to go measure stock motor mounts (that are new) and give me a comparative measurement. My original factory motor mounts compressed ~3.5mm (left) to ~6.5mm (right) from his, which measured 99.5mm in the same manner with which I should in photos on a previous post. He said that probably equates to about a 1/4" rise from where the worn motor mounts put the motor. I'd say that probably about right. One other thing, John also mentioned the Revshift motor mount tolerances are kept to -/+ 0.1mm.

So 30k miles and 8 years of age, there we have a data point on motor mount wear. I appreciate John@Revshift taking the time to go back and forth we me, take some measurements, and verify what I saw. Car should be on the road mid next week and I'm looking forward to how it all works together.

The strut bar is custom made by me - since I converted my E89 to E90 tower specs to run camber/caster plates - and was done atop the original motor mounts (who knew they'd be so compressed?). The Z4 has tighter engine-to-hood tolerances. I swapped in an S54 oil cap which bought me 1/8" of clearance for now. My strut bar uses a shim for adjustment, so I'll make it slightly taller.

For anyone swapping motor mounts with a strut bar (E82/E90), factory mounts or otherwise, consider your clearance.

Filippo

IMG_20180613_141258.jpg
IMG_20180613_141250.jpg

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
I'm about to go make a mad attempt at installing these on an x drive vehicle. Not sure if I'm going to drop the subframe or not.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
They do not come in fully assembled, that person did not read the instructions probably. You have to take them apart and apply loctite, tighten fully once they are in the car, etc.

Ok, they come assembled. All you have to do is tighten down with an allen key and socket and put a tiny bit of lock tight on each one. Literally a 2m job which includes finding the correct tools. What I meant was they come assembled and are not all flippy floppy loose in the package. They advertise them as assembled as well:

Includes:
  • Two assembled motor mounts
  • Heat sleeve for exhaust side mount
  • Mounting hardware
  • Blue 242 Loctite
  • Installation instructions

I'm about to go make a mad attempt at installing these on an x drive vehicle. Not sure if I'm going to drop the subframe or not.

Drop it is my vote. Not sure you could do it any other way?

Last edited:

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
:rolleyes:
Ok wanted to follow up with you all. John @ @Revshift was kind enough to go measure stock motor mounts (that are new) and give me a comparative measurement. My original factory motor mounts compressed ~3.5mm (left) to ~6.5mm (right) from his, which measured 99.5mm in the same manner with which I should in photos on a previous post. He said that probably equates to about a 1/4" rise from where the worn motor mounts put the motor. I'd say that probably about right. One other thing, John also mentioned the Revshift motor mount tolerances are kept to -/+ 0.1mm.

So 30k miles and 8 years of age, there we have a data point on motor mount wear. I appreciate John@Revshift taking the time to go back and forth we me, take some measurements, and verify what I saw. Car should be on the road mid next week and I'm looking forward to how it all works together.

The strut bar is custom made by me - since I converted my E89 to E90 tower specs to run camber/caster plates - and was done atop the original motor mounts (who knew they'd be so compressed?). The Z4 has tighter engine-to-hood tolerances. I swapped in an S54 oil cap which bought me 1/8" of clearance for now. My strut bar uses a shim for adjustment, so I'll make it slightly taller.

For anyone swapping motor mounts with a strut bar (E82/E90), factory mounts or otherwise, consider your clearance.

Filippo

View attachment 12285 View attachment 12284
Nice strut bar. Looks familiar.:rolleyes:

Reactions: fmorelli

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Ok, they come assembled. All you have to do is tighten down with an allen key and socket and put a tiny bit of lock tight on each one. Literally a 2m job which includes finding the correct tools. What I meant was they come assembled and are not all flippy floppy loose in the package. They advertise them as assembled as well:

Includes:
  • Two assembled motor mounts
  • Heat sleeve for exhaust side mount
  • Mounting hardware
  • Blue 242 Loctite
  • Installation instructions

Drop it is my vote. Not sure you could do it any other way?

You could undo the motor mounts and lift the motor. The reason the top shaft is threaded so you can just slide them in without jacking up the motor too much or dropping down the subframe too far. Sometimes I wonder if you guys really work on your own cars or just pretend like you do because this is the internet.

• Funny
Reactions: Jeffman

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Actually that was very convenient and exactly what I did. Just thread the top rod end once the mount is in place...

The top nut is also smaller at 15 mm which made it a bit easier getting things in from a convenience perspective.

Filippo

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Just an FYI -something to be aware of- these do not sit factory height. In our experience they raise the motor a significant amount. Installing the trans was dead simple with the AD-E mounts, and very difficult with these -Tony had to wedge a huge piece of wood in between the tunnel and the bell housing while leaving the mounts loose to get the trans in. Then when he shut the hood, it hit on our vacuum canister (which cleared no problem before the mounts), dented the hood, and cracked the paint. Again, just something for people to be aware of.

Chris

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
I finished the install and test drove... im just going to come out and say it. If you think there is too much nvh with these mounts, you are a pussy. I've had the twisted tuning tcase mount inserts installed for about 2 months on all other stock mounts, and the nvh was awful (edit, awful compared to this. I had accepted and adapted to the nvh to where I thought nothing of it). I installed these, along with the Clark diff brace today , and my car actually vibrates less while driving. I guess my oem engine mounts we're just that shit... I'm pleased with my purchase. Thanks @Revshift

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Anyone who has a set of digital calipers and Revshift engine mount, can you please PM me?

Also anyone that has a brand new OEM factory mount and digital calipers, can you also please PM me?

Thanks!

Filippo

Revshift

Lurker
Apr 25, 2018
Ride
Lots of bimmers
Our mounts do not raise the engine compared to new oem mounts. We designed them with this in mind. Comparing them to compressed and worn out oem mounts then yes, they will raise the motor back to the factory intended height. Comparing them to ADE mounts, I have no idea because we never messed with ADE mounts. I am assuming the ADE mounts lower the engine a bit in comparison to new OEM mounts. Here are a couple pictures of our mount compared to a brand new OEM mount. Our is 0.011" shorter.

Attachments

• oemn54height.jpg
    oemn54height.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 294
  • pmmn54height.jpg
    pmmn54height.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 276