rami.ad

Lurker
Aug 28, 2017
Ride
335i coupe 2009
Hey guys i need your help on this.
I changed my oil yesterday and on the way home the car went in limp mode.
Next day cold start really runs rough and got these codes all together.
Codes:
- 29CC Misfire several cylinders (actually all 6)
- 2A7C Variable camshaft timing control, intake, cold start
- 2A82 Vanos intake
- 2A98 Crankshaft - inlet camshaft, reference
- 3100 Boost pressure control, deactivation
One time i had low oil pressure code, did not show up again

Note that i have replaced injectors last month with index 12 and a new set of sparl plugs. And cleaned vanos solenoids Im on MHD stage 1 almost stock with gutted downpipes.
I have some oil consumption like 1 ltr per 2000-2500 miles. Turbo seals were on my mind before this.
Your help is Highly appreciated

2017-08-29 01.05.59.jpg

rami.ad

Lurker
Aug 28, 2017
Ride
335i coupe 2009
I think im gona swap to manual
Im on stage 2 mhd with dps only
Satisfied with the power im more into drifting. I hate this transmission
And a custom lsd, I know someone fitted a diff from E34 and custom drive shaft

RD911T

Oct 28, 2018
Ride
08 335i
Its actually more common than you think. When your crack the oil filter in allows debris to flow down into the intake vanos solenoid. Pull them both out and clean them. It I way common when doing and oil filter housing gasket but does happen on OK services.
Also check that you didnt pull part of the oil filter cap off with the old filter as well as you installed the new little green o ring
Thanks for posting this. I had the 2A7C code after doing my filter housing gasket. Pulling and cleaning the intake VANOS solenoid cleared it. Now I need to research doing the valve cover gasket as it shows signs of leakage.

mdesai93

May 24, 2019
Ride
2011 BMW 335i xDrive
Hey guys,

I'm a bit of a rookie with posting on forums but I had a similar issue and still can't seem to figure it out. I had the oil filter housing gasket replaced a week ago and that night driving home, the oil temperature hit about 240 degrees Fahrenheit and the car gave me an engine malfunction warning. The codes pulled were:
2a7c: Variable camshaft timing control intake cold start.
2a82: Vanos Intake
2a99: Crankshaft- Exhaust camshaft, reference
3100: Boost- pressure control,Deactivation

Mechanic told me it was a vanos solenoid issue but we didn't try to clean them first, we just went ahead and replaced them. I tried using aftermarket solenoids but got a low oil pressure warning so I went ahead and bought OEM BMW solenoids. On the way home after having that done, the oil temperature hit about 250 degrees and the engine malfunction warning came up again. The car runs smooth for the most part with some hesitation even in limp mode. I tried changing the oil from 0W-30 to 5W-30 but that hasn't helped either. Any idea what i could do?

Thanks for your help

mdesai93

May 24, 2019
Ride
2011 BMW 335i xDrive
After replacing both solenoids, here are the codes that are coming up.
The codes are:
2D60 - Vanos exhaust control fault, camshaft stuck
2C58 - charging pressure control, deactivation pressure build up blocked

Anyone encountered this before?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
How many miles on the car? How often did you change the oil? As you may know VANOS is controlled by oil pressure. So the problem could be oil sludge blocking the VANOS filters; the solution could be to use Motul Oil Flush and do another oil change. Stick with the BMW OEM Oil.

mdesai93

May 24, 2019
Ride
2011 BMW 335i xDrive
82K miles on the car and i change the oil about every 5k miles using mobil1 synthetic blend 0W-30. I did the original oil change with 0W-30 2 weeks ago and then did one again yesterday with 5w-30 for thicker oil but hasn't fixed the issue. I will try the Motul oil flush next, thanks!

Reactions: Jeffman