Ride
335i e93
Pros:
1. I have MHD, Waze, Chrome...basically an Android touchscreen
2. works with phone calls
3. I have reverse camera now.

Cons:
1. Install was a bitch
2. No more iPod interface usable... doesn't read it at all.
3. Music from head unit has audio going to only one speaker and has no fader, balance controls...just has an equalizer
4. No way to turn it off, must wait for car to power down which takes half an hour...leading to error in voltage loss.
5. Reverse camera sucks balls...doesn't fit so had to use double sided tape to hole the trunk lever camera in place...will try other cameras to see if it fits and stays. This one has a small gap so water can get in at car washes.
6. No more way to access old idrive menus like settings, car info, oil level on screen.
7. Radio works normal on all speakers but that's it.

Do I recommend this? If you don't care about ipod usage and don't care about voltage error... and you really want MHD wireless built in screen... and waze... then this will do. If not, then stay the hell away. I only got it because that dude on Youtube : Vehicular DIY channel...

That guy talked up Seicane and I trusted his review... lesson learned. Now you don't have to wonder. I was the guineapig. NEVER take the advice of someone who recommends a product and is getting it free from the company, and gets a cut of their sales.

Price was around $500.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Torgus

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
What are the specs? They have a quad core version if the idrive screen now. Before it was limited to only the in dash replacements

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Every couple years I look at the screens/products available and every time I make the decision to not upgrade. Seems like there are always issues like "audio going to only one speaker and has no fader, balance controls...just has an equalizer "

Shame.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Was it this one? https://www.seicane.com/bmw-3-serie...-radio-with-aux-wifi-support-obd2-dvr-s028233

I paid 429 for a similar version, 2gb ram back in 2018. The new one is an octacore at 2ghz with 4GB of ram and 64gb storage, you can get that one now for about 300-400, something like this:
That rockchip CPU in the one we have is technically a dual core at 1.8 ghz or a quad core at 1.4 ghz depending on the situation, so you probably notice slugish performance like mine, it isn't very snappy and loading maps can take a while. The new ones are qualcomm snapdragon 625, which are like four year old smart phone CPUs but they are still quite a bit better than what we've got now:
1585625345506.png

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Was it this one? https://www.seicane.com/bmw-3-serie...-radio-with-aux-wifi-support-obd2-dvr-s028233

I paid 429 for a similar version, 2gb ram back in 2018. The new one is an octacore at 2ghz with 4GB of ram and 64gb storage, you can get that one now for about 300-400, something like this:
That rockchip CPU in the one we have is technically a dual core at 1.8 ghz or a quad core at 1.4 ghz depending on the situation, so you probably notice slugish performance like mine, it isn't very snappy and loading maps can take a while. The new ones are qualcomm snapdragon 625, which are like four year old smart phone CPUs but they are still quite a bit better than what we've got now:
View attachment 36478

The unit I have is quite fast. It has almost no lag doing anything whether it's Youtube, Chrome, maps, waze, MHD...xHP... I wrote them an email asking the following questions:

1. I want to know how access audio fader and balance controls. I only see an equalizer for audio files...the audio only comes out to the front left speaker and I want to adjust balance and fader controls so audio will come through front and rear speakers and left and right speakers.

2. Also, I cannot see how to use the original iDrive interface...right now, the unit only allows the Android interface so it is not possible to use the original factory iDrive interface.

3. Also, is there a way to turn off the unit manually so I don't have to wait 30 minutes for the car to shut down?

4. Also is it possible to use my classic iPod with this unit? Previously, I used the original BMW interface to control my iPod.

5. Also, I do not see any pin number for accessing the factory settings to choose options. If I go to factory settings, there is a request for security password and no password was given to me so I cannot access this option.

First, they directed me to another email address in the sales department...which is weird considering I emailed the sales link in my inbox with the invoice.
The second email guy replied, asking "where did you buy?" Man... I hate Chinese vendors...with their no English Speaking issues.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The unit I have is quite fast. It has almost no lag doing anything whether it's Youtube, Chrome, maps, waze, MHD...xHP... I wrote them an email asking the following questions:

1. I want to know how access audio fader and balance controls. I only see an equalizer for audio files...the audio only comes out to the front left speaker and I want to adjust balance and fader controls so audio will come through front and rear speakers and left and right speakers.

2. Also, I cannot see how to use the original iDrive interface...right now, the unit only allows the Android interface so it is not possible to use the original factory iDrive interface.

3. Also, is there a way to turn off the unit manually so I don't have to wait 30 minutes for the car to shut down?

4. Also is it possible to use my classic iPod with this unit? Previously, I used the original BMW interface to control my iPod.

5. Also, I do not see any pin number for accessing the factory settings to choose options. If I go to factory settings, there is a request for security password and no password was given to me so I cannot access this option.

First, they directed me to another email address in the sales department...which is weird considering I emailed the sales link in my inbox with the invoice.
The second email guy replied, asking "where did you buy?" Man... I hate Chinese vendors...with their no English Speaking issues.

Try holding the menu idrive button to toggle the OEM idrive

Try pin 1314 but I forget as that may have been the avin pw.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

I watched a youtube video on accessing the factory settings with the 1314 password but it didn't work for seicane.
The menu press down shuts off the screen. It does not toggle between old and new menus.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

Sorry...it is supposed to be an 8 core unit.
Item​
Sku​
Qty​
Subtotal​
8.8 inch for 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 BMW 5 Series/M5 E60/E61 Radio Android 9.0 GPS Navigation Bluetooth HD Touchscreen support Carplay OBD2System8-core CPU,RAM 4G,ROM 64GOriginal Car with AUXYesOptionsWireless Rearview CameraModel: S018806L​

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
You'll get next to no help with the product, just useless circles of generic information, they have little or no intention of being helpful. I'll try to find that pin number, I've dug it up before just can't remember where.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

I tried yours as well as all these numbers:

Try 123456 or 7890

The 'official model' is hla 1280x480. I tried googling that with 'password' with no luck.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Ah well that blows. Hopefully you'll hear back from the maker.
It appears you have the faster unit, once you load that menu then you should be able to double check. Also there is the Android app called cpuX I think. CpuID or something.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Cons:
1. Install was a bitch

Can you elaborate more? What as the issue specifically or do you just consider radios difficult to install in general, e.g. what made this such a bitch vs. any other?

Holy hell, it's 2020 bud. Ipod? circa 2014? There's probably a bunch of 6 year old tech that doesn't work anymore. Apple made this new fangled gizmo called the iPhone...

3. Music from head unit has audio going to only one speaker and has no fader, balance controls...just has an equalizer

That sounds like an aux output issue. Don't these still only deliver audio from the Android function via AUX?

4. No way to turn it off, must wait for car to power down which takes half an hour...leading to error in voltage loss.

Not a huge deal, I get that from my DCAN cable anyways.

5. Reverse camera sucks balls...doesn't fit so had to use double sided tape to hole the trunk lever camera in place...will try other cameras to see if it fits and stays. This one has a small gap so water can get in at car washes.

Haven't seen that issue before, but also - why you using drive thru car washes? :p

6. No more way to access old idrive menus like settings, car info, oil level on screen.

There has to be an issue with yours I'd suspect.

Do I recommend this? If you don't care about ipod usage and don't care about voltage error... and you really want MHD wireless built in screen... and waze... then this will do. If not, then stay the hell away. I only got it because that dude on Youtube : Vehicular DIY channel...

That guy talked up Seicane and I trusted his review... lesson learned. Now you don't have to wonder. I was the guineapig. NEVER take the advice of someone who recommends a product and is getting it free from the company, and gets a cut of their sales.

Price was around $500.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'm not sure there are any. If they are, probably in the special menu, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. 99% of those menu options are for the other cars like audi and what not. You'll find that many of those options do absolutely nothing or nothing you care about.

If you say holding the menu button doesn't work, then I'm not sure why that is. Try holding down the other buttons.

I think you can reset it with the pin hole. But in my experience, there isn't a solution to this. It is related to a bug in the software, I read about it some time back, but its just another strike against the product. There are many of them.

For anyone considering these products, go into it assuming half the stuff won't work or won't work as expected or isn't integrated well and probably requires tinkering and is unreliable. If you are okay with that, then it will be just fine. For me, I have this insane feedback sound. It reminds me of the old days when GSM cellular signals would interfere with your headphones. It makes the product unusable in my opinion as it is constantly present unless a sound is playing. in which case it goes away.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I'm not sure there are any. If they are, probably in the special menu, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. 99% of those menu options are for the other cars like audi and what not. You'll find that many of those options do absolutely nothing or nothing you care about.

If you say holding the menu button doesn't work, then I'm not sure why that is. Try holding down the other buttons.

I think you can reset it with the pin hole. But in my experience, there isn't a solution to this. It is related to a bug in the software, I read about it some time back, but its just another strike against the product. There are many of them.

For anyone considering these products, go into it assuming half the stuff won't work or won't work as expected or isn't integrated well and probably requires tinkering and is unreliable. If you are okay with that, then it will be just fine. For me, I have this insane feedback sound. It reminds me of the old days when GSM cellular signals would interfere with your headphones. It makes the product unusable in my opinion as it is constantly present unless a sound is playing. in which case it goes away.
20200331_151930.jpg

InnerBlueSkys

Jan 27, 2021
Pros:
1. I have MHD, Waze, Chrome...basically an Android touchscreen
2. works with phone calls
3. I have reverse camera now.

Cons:
1. Install was a bitch

Price was around $500.
Signed up for Spoolstreet to respond to your post. I initially encountered some of same issues you mentioned. I also believe you may have a defective unit. I assume you installed this in a 3 series?

1. Install was a bitch. Yes, it was and requires patience and planning. You are adding adapter into the equation that weren't there in the first place. When I installed mine I removed the cage, glove box, etc for wire mgmt.

3. Music from head unit has audio going to only one speaker and has no fader, balance controls...just has an equalizer. DITCH the AUX provided by the company. I had the exact same issue and that was my problem, solved with an upgraded AUX. Unit sounds beautiful.

4. No way to turn it off, must wait for car to power down which takes half an hour...leading to error in voltage loss. I have no idea why this is happening. When you shut the car off the unit should lose power and turn off.

5. Reverse camera sucks balls...doesn't fit so had to use double sided tape to hole the trunk lever camera in place...will try other cameras to see if it fits and stays. This one has a small gap so water can get in at car washes. You installed it wrong or its the wrong part. I would get an integrated camera/handle for your specific vehicle.

6. No more way to access old idrive menus like settings, car info, oil level on screen. Hold the menu button down for 2 seconds. If that doesn't work, the unit settings have been changed. You'll have to access the factory setup menu with passcode 1314. If the code doesn't work, your unit is broke.

7. Radio works normal on all speakers but that's it. This contradicts what you said in point #3.

Feel free to reach out to me if you need any help.