Serpentine belt damage AGAIN!

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Considering this pulley is known to make contact with the subframe, I'm not entirely surprised. You did say it wasn't torqued down earlier so maybe that is why. What motor mounts do you have?

Before they were replaced they were old stock mounts, then revshift 80A then now 335is mount.

Reactions: doublespaces

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Did you not like the rev shift 80a?

They were very good but I missed the quietness of stock mounts so went for 335is mounts. Best of both worlds. Not as firm as revshift but better than stock 335i.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Asbjorn

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Wow... the belt did it agin. A razor thin cut on part of the belt longitudinally.

So I ordered a metal power steering pulley to replace the plastic fragile one. AND I will file a small indention under the pulley in case it is contacting due to potholes. Although I don't think this is happening since there are no signs of contact.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Wow... the belt did it agin. A razor thin cut on part of the belt longitudinally.

So I ordered a metal power steering pulley to replace the plastic fragile one. AND I will file a small indention under the pulley in case it is contacting due to potholes. Although I don't think this is happening since there are no signs of contact.

I have a metal pulley for sale if you decide to return the other one or anyone wants one. I heard the metal can get ovaled out over time and actually become a bad part. Also, if the pulley is indeed making contact somewhere, I'd rather the pulley broke than pretty much anything else. But if that doesn't bother someone, I've got a pulley that I really didn't use very much at all, just some tests then pulled it off since it didn't resolve anything I was trying to fix.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I have a metal pulley for sale if you decide to return the other one or anyone wants one. I heard the metal can get ovaled out over time and actually become a bad part. Also, if the pulley is indeed making contact somewhere, I'd rather the pulley broke than pretty much anything else. But if that doesn't bother someone, I've got a pulley that I really didn't use very much at all, just some tests then pulled it off since it didn't resolve anything I was trying to fix.

Can.you post a link to where you read that? It is hard to believe that there is enough stress to do so to a chunk of aluminum in that configuration. I would be interested to read about it.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Can.you post a link to where you read that? It is hard to believe that there is enough stress to do so to a chunk of aluminum in that configuration. I would be interested to read about it.
Iirc the pulley holes are slightly bigger than the bolts so over time if it wiggles around you can get that result.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Iirc the pulley holes are slightly bigger than the bolts so over time if it wiggles around you can get that result.

They made the holes bigger? Wtf...
In any case, I am not going to keep buying plastic pulleys and new belts every few weeks. This is the second pulley and fourth belt in less than 4 months.

I already replaced new tensioner and smaller pulley so I know it's not those. Maybe it is the alternator pulley... but I don't see any damage there. This Saturday I will check for play on the alternator and check power steering pump bolts once more.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
They made the holes bigger? Wtf...
In any case, I am not going to keep buying plastic pulleys and new belts every few weeks. This is the second pulley and fourth belt in less than 4 months.

I already replaced new tensioner and smaller pulley so I know it's not those. Maybe it is the alternator pulley... but I don't see any damage there. This Saturday I will check for play on the alternator and check power steering pump bolts once more.
I'll take a photo when I get home from work.

If your pulley is breaking your driving habbits may demand stiffer mounts or perhaps suspension.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I'll take a photo when I get home from work.

If your pulley is breaking your driving habbits may demand stiffer mounts or perhaps suspension.

Already have m suspension and koni yellows. The pulley is disintegrating inside where the teeth are, not outside. It looks perfect from outside. The teeth that line up with the belt is what keep chipping. I have the 335is passenger mount, but stock driver mount. I am looking to replace driver side with revshift mount 80A. Maybe that will help... but again, I see zero signs that any contact was made on subframe or on belt. Only razor hairline longitudinal fracture and very specific location.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Here are some photos: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/vtt-double-shotgun-installation.2998/post-59948

Notice there is no metal sleeve inside the bolt holes. The issue never happened to me and I can't remember where I heard that from. But in the end, I didn't see any benefit to it. If the pulley is getting chipped, the problem is somewhere else.

I just ordered one Black Forest Stage 1 mount to replace the stock driver side mount that has the 3M filler. It should be much firmer than the stock unit. I will keep the 335iS mount on the passenger and hope there is no nvh.

Maybe tuning the car on the dyno the other day messed it up because we really put the Pure HighFlows through hell. Hopefully this will stop the engine from any potential over twisting leading to contact with pulley. BTW what brand pulley did you get...that does not look like the one I ordered. Mine is billet aluminum. Super fine finish with no weld scars. Anodized black. There is something off looking about the one you installed... It appears to have a very thick black paint coating on it and some minor smelting scars or cast scars... it does not appear to be billet anodized.

Reactions: doublespaces

alarcon

Nov 5, 2017
I just ordered one Black Forest Stage 1 mount to replace the stock driver side mount that has the 3M filler. It should be much firmer than the stock unit. I will keep the 335iS mount on the passenger and hope there is no nvh.

Maybe tuning the car on the dyno the other day messed it up because we really put the Pure HighFlows through hell. Hopefully this will stop the engine from any potential over twisting leading to contact with pulley. BTW what brand pulley did you get...that does not look like the one I ordered. Mine is billet aluminum. Super fine finish with no weld scars. Anodized black. There is something off looking about the one you installed... It appears to have a very thick black paint coating on it and some minor smelting scars or cast scars... it does not appear to be billet anodized.

matreyia - was there something that prompted you to check your belt earlier this week?

I just replaced my serpentine belt and tensioners a month ago due to squealing noise and now the noise is coming back. Not sure if you heard anything that made you look.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
matreyia - was there something that prompted you to check your belt earlier this week?

I just replaced my serpentine belt and tensioners a month ago due to squealing noise and now the noise is coming back. Not sure if you heard anything that made you look.

Yes. There is a tell tale rythmic noticeable TICK TICk sound similar to lifters but louder and in front of car... when I hear this sound I check belt and sure enough... the cut was there.

Stage 1 black forest motor mount on driver side with 335is passeneger side is just as loud NVH as revshift 80A black mounts fyi.

And I see that the previous stock driver side new mount with reinforced 3M compound has already separated from the compound after almost a yr.

Additionally, the car no longer does the slamming sensation whenever I go wot and release pedal completely. Before it would feel like the transmission would slam suddenly every time I let go of pedal after a wot pull. So i think that the upgraded engine got so twisted during wot that it would physically snap back into place and cause the jerky loud slamming sensation on the transmission. But it was actually the soft stock motor mounts being too squooshed and snapping back into place.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Also remember what the e93 needs might be a bit different than what works for everyone else since our weight is a few hundred pounds more.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Stage 1 black forest motor mount on driver side with 335is passeneger side is just as loud NVH as revshift 80A black mounts fyi.
Is your idle raised to 900? Everyone raves about the revshift but if it's the same as the bfi then fuck it's terrible. I am only running the passenger side bfi and there is so much nvh it's insane. I hate the idle being so high, but I guess other than breaking stock mounts there's no other option.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Is your idle raised to 900? Everyone raves about the revshift but if it's the same as the bfi then fuck it's terrible. I am only running the passenger side bfi and there is so much nvh it's insane. I hate the idle being so high, but I guess other than breaking stock mounts there's no other option.

As someone who has had their idle at 900 rpms for roughly 4-5 years why do you hate the idle being high?

Everything is very smooth at 900 rpm idle with lwfw, revshift MM, rogue 6spd tranny mounts, etc. Just a bit of vibration in my stick shift but I feel that is be be expected and I have the uuk ssr with dssr, no idea if that contributes, I assume most of the vibration in the stick is from the rogue tranny mounts.

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
As someone who has had their idle at 900 rpms for roughly 4-5 years why do you hate the idle being high?

Everything is very smooth at 900 rpm idle with lwfw, revshift MM, rogue 6spd tranny mounts, etc. Just a bit of vibration in my stick shift but I feel that is be be expected and I have the uuk ssr with dssr, no idea if that contributes, I assume most of the vibration in the stick is from the rogue tranny mounts.

I hate 900_950 rpm... so wasteful and uncivil...but at 600whp I suppose them's the breaks...maybe I will try both sides 335is mounts. I hope that the 335is mounts are as tough as they say.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I believe I found the culprit. And who knows how much HP this has been robbing from this engine over the year...

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus