Should I replace my old EKPM3 module with a new one?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
My 2008 335xi E90 came with an EKPM3 module. In the last year or so my LPFP pressures no longer stay at 72psi when cruising or idling. Instead pressures drift down into the 60s, and then into the 50s, and then into the 40s as I drove along and the engine heats up. The engine otherwise feels fine.
I have a Fuel-It Stage 2 Walbro 450 LPFP installed for the last 3-4 years.

Based on what I’ve read this problem typically occurs with thre older EKPM2 modules and the solution is to upgrade to an EKPM3 module. But I already have the EKPM3, so I’m wondering whether anybody has solved the LPFP pressure problem by replacing an old EKPM3 module with a new one?

Thanks.

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Try replacing and coding the module. If that don't work then replace lpfp sesnor and hpfp sensor.

I know you cannot retunr thebitem o ce coded but you won't know if you don't.

Thatexactly what i did.

My 2008 335xi E90 came with an EKPM3 module. In the last year or so my LPFP pressures no longer stay at 72psi when cruising or idling. Instead pressures drift down into the 60s, and then into the 50s, and then into the 40s as I drove along and the engine heats up. The engine otherwise feels fine.
I have a Fuel-It Stage 2 Walbro 450 LPFP installed for the last 3-4 years.

Based on what I’ve read this problem typically occurs with thre older EKPM2 modules and the solution is to upgrade to an EKPM3 module. But I already have the EKPM3, so I’m wondering whether anybody has solved the LPFP pressure problem by replacing an old EKPM3 module with a new one?

Thanks.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Did you replace an old EKPM3 with a new EKPM3?

Yep. And put a heatsink too...but the heatsink did nothing. And neither did the v3 module. It was to prevent the stupid fuel pump plausibility error. That did not fix a thing.

mfish123

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Ride
2009 BMW 335i xdrive E90 Sedan

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Rather than new module why not try the fuel it 650 it's a stock pump with an add on pump so it doesn't tax your stock wiring ,dme,etc

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Rather than new module why not try the fuel it 650 it's a stock pump with an add on pump so it doesn't tax your stock wiring ,dme,etc
That could be a viable solution, if the install wasn’t such a PITA. I dreaded doing the LPFP Stage 2 upgrade - leaning over the back seat breathing gasoline vapor and struggling to get the damn thing installed. Changing a module is a lot easier.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
google "torqbyte n54 ekpm" or look up their instagram

should be released in the coming weeks
Ooohhh... this looks promising. As long as it’s plug and play (I hate splicing wires togtether, especially high-powered ones) then this thing looks like a winner!

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
That could be a viable solution, if the install wasn’t such a PITA. I dreaded doing the LPFP Stage 2 upgrade - leaning over the back seat breathing gasoline vapor and struggling to get the damn thing installed. Changing a module is a lot easier.
You should have a Z4 and do that job from the bottom with the exhaust having to be removed to do it. Wash your mouth out with soap, brother. You got it easy! lol ...

Filippo

• Funny
Reactions: Jeffman

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I once saw a “lift” that holds a car up and at a steep (45?) degree angle to make it easier to work underneath the car. That could come in handy for Z4 owners.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I know im a hypocrite I have wanted to go back to bucketed setup for auto x purposes or a mat and I keep bitching out.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
OP your issue is likely not the module (unless it has high miles). I took apart my fuel-it stage 2 when I put together my DIY stage 3. Re-used the single walbro they supplied and everything. There was no issue with the pump at all, just the setup.

I had the same issues you did where the idle fuel pressure wasn't maintained at 72 psi. It would hover around 50 and dip into the 40s during pulls. The Fuel-It "custom" venturi fitting belongs in the garbage. The orifice is too big, the venturi eats up too much pressure causing inadequate pressure to be delivered to the hpfp/engine.

Steve's (hilarious) excuse for this was "cars don't need 72 psi at idle" which is horse shit as BMW spec states 5 +/- 0.5 bar.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
OP your issue is likely not the module (unless it has high miles). I took apart my fuel-it stage 2 when I put together my DIY stage 3. Re-used the single walbro they supplied and everything. There was no issue with the pump at all, just the setup.

I had the same issues you did where the idle fuel pressure wasn't maintained at 72 psi. It would hover around 50 and dip into the 40s during pulls. The Fuel-It "custom" venturi fitting belongs in the garbage. The orifice is too big, the venturi eats up too much pressure causing inadequate pressure to be delivered to the hpfp/engine.

Steve's (hilarious) excuse for this was "cars don't need 72 psi at idle" which is horse shit as BMW spec states 5 +/- 0.5 bar.

I’ve had my 10 y.o. car since new 66,000 miles ago, mostly garaged, so it’s certainly not a high mileage car, so based on your comments it’s not the module.

Your idea that the inadequate venturi has merit. What do you suggest / what did you do? Do you have a pic of your DIY Stage 3 that shows what you did to get around the crappy FuelIt Stage 2 venturi tube?
Thanks.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
I’ve had my 10 y.o. car since new 66,000 miles ago, mostly garaged, so it’s certainly not a high mileage car, so based on your comments it’s not the module.

Your idea that the inadequate venturi has merit. What do you suggest / what did you do? Do you have a pic of your DIY Stage 3 that shows what you did to get around the crappy FuelIt Stage 2 venturi tube?
Thanks.

I chopped off the venturi and the bottom of the bucket lol

Attachments

• IMG-20171010-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20171010-WA0000.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 409

mfish123

Lurker
Mar 9, 2017
Ride
2009 BMW 335i xdrive E90 Sedan
I chopped off the venturi and the bottom of the bucket lol

@veer90 @Jeffman I'm in a very similar boat to Jeffman. i have a fuel-it stage 2 pump with the bucket. More details on my specific situation earlier in this thread.

What's odd with my situation is that my stage 2 pump did idle around 72 psi for about 3 years and just recently it started staying around 50 psi. As far as the venturi fitting does it maybe just barely work when brand new and degrade over time? Just trying to figure out why I only started having this problem recently.

Do you or anyone else following along know if a smaller orifice can be retrofitted if the problem is just that the orifice is too big?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
@veer90 @Jeffman I'm in a very similar boat to Jeffman. i have a fuel-it stage 2 pump with the bucket. More details on my specific situation earlier in this thread.

What's odd with my situation is that my stage 2 pump did idle around 72 psi for about 3 years and just recently it started staying around 50 psi. As far as the venturi fitting does it maybe just barely work when brand new and degrade over time? Just trying to figure out why I only started having this problem recently.

Do you or anyone else following along know if a smaller orifice can be retrofitted if the problem is just that the orifice is too big?
@mfish123 I am avoiding going back into my gas tank. I haven’t tried,and don’t plan to modify my FuelZit LPFP 2 pump lol.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

Things break down... I would be surprised if yours or anyone's car stayed fully 100% over time. 3yrs is short, but then again, I assume you are using your s2 lpfp more aggressively in various ways than normal drivers. Otherwise, you would not have or need a stage 2. The same reasoning goes for my stage 3. If it breaks, then them's the breaks for us all.

• Agree

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Agreed!

My car is basically a light-duty daily driver (4K miles/year) which I occasionally like to fill up with E50 and enjoy a little spirited driving. Never been to a track, and probably never will. :)