SHOW ME YOUR TIMING ;)

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Haha as the thread states, show me your timing targets in upgraded turbos with aux fueling (meth or PI)

I've been really happy with my car lately (minus lack of traction lol) and am curious how much more is left in her. I'm pure stage 2 HFs, port meth and e50 + all support mods.

It's on 25lbs and logs are showing about 9 deg of timing, wgdc is about 60

I kinda wanna see what everyone else's is running and if I'm better off just staying with the e85/hybrid bef...... Or if there is a lot more safely left on the table. I haven't really dove into tons of logs lately just curious what everyone else seems to be falling at :)

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
with port meth + e50 I think the best you're going to get is around 11-12deg before seeing significant corrections at 25psi on those turbos, I would guess you would see about 15-20HP from that alone but the question is; is it really worth it?

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
with port meth + e50 I think the best you're going to get is around 11-12deg before seeing significant corrections at 25psi on those turbos, I would guess you would see about 15-20HP from that alone but the question is; is it really worth it?

That's kinda where I'm at.. tuners tell me if I'm wrong but the only real power to be had is more boost and less timing or more timing and less boost??? Sorry I don't have a good log since finishing up (weather/traction)

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
stock turbos 14.5* is possible with e54 fuel.
bigger turbos flow more air and produce more heat.better to lower ignition timing for situations like that

I guess when pushing the upgrades also to high WGDC, i agree.

My understanding is that hybrids will make less heat at same boost levels as they are running way more efficient. At 6k RPM the stockers will be running crazy to get to 16psi as the 16T at lets say 18/19PSI will need a lot less WGDC. So in theory the heat should be lower?!

• Agree
Reactions: Jern54

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
At this point I may just keep turning boost up till I have corrections of any kind. Right now my avg ign stays a 0.0 so I feel pretty good about moving up a little.

Also forgot I could go past 75 with the meth additive lol. That was old rules right that 75 is the furthest it reacts when everyone was on stock turbos...

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
From just casual observation, on E50 and meth, I'd say 9* is very low. You could possibly target 13*. I know the recent log VTT posted that made 640 was running E70 and was running 8 - 13.5 on 25psi and that was GC lites.

I've seen quite a number of 93 octane tunes running 8-9 without corrections on 20ish psi as well.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT

So if you scroll through your 8* is the lowest of them stated.. why do you feel that way? Less timing more boost or just don't feel the added gain weighs out the potential for knock?? I'm curious not "knocking" you lol

I truly want to understand the thought process :)

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
So if you scroll through your 8* is the lowest of them stated.. why do you feel that way? Less timing more boost or just don't feel the added gain weighs out the potential for knock?? I'm curious not "knocking" you lol

I truly want to understand the thought process :)

Basically through testing it on a dyno and lots of race events. It seemed to work the best and fairly conservative for our OTS maps, but then again it depends what fuel and if stock, hybrid or ST setup you have as well.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
At this point I may just keep turning boost up till I have corrections of any kind. Right now my avg ign stays a 0.0 so I feel pretty good about moving up a little.

Also forgot I could go past 75 with the meth additive lol. That was old rules right that 75 is the furthest it reacts when everyone was on stock turbos...
Is this 3rd gear pull and let off ? Because if you stay in it post shift, theres a good chance AVG IGN will not stay at 0.0
Dial in map 6 and you will see timing corrections. At least on a pull or 2 as its hard to pull off perfect logs 100% of the time. Im sure you are not seeing them in map 3 because of the boost taper. You are probably 25psi peak and tapering to 22 - 23 or so up top. Making good torque and overall good power BUT, that taper kills peak h.p. numbers that people rave about on dynos. Look at dyno graphs, max power is (depending on turbos,tuning, and boost), USUALLY 6200 to 6800 rpm on hybrids. So if you left everything as is, hold 25 psi to redline, on a dyno, I would guess right around 25whp MORE is what you would see just by doing that. Give or take a little depending on timing corrections if any.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Is this 3rd gear pull and let off ? Because if you stay in it post shift, theres a good chance AVG IGN will not stay at 0.0
Dial in map 6 and you will see timing corrections. At least on a pull or 2 as its hard to pull off perfect logs 100% of the time. Im sure you are not seeing them in map 3 because of the boost taper. You are probably 25psi peak and tapering to 22 - 23 or so up top. Making good torque and overall good power BUT, that taper kills peak h.p. numbers that people rave about on dynos. Look at dyno graphs, max power is (depending on turbos,tuning, and boost), USUALLY 6200 to 6800 rpm on hybrids. So if you left everything as is, hold 25 psi to redline, on a dyno, I would guess right around 25whp MORE is what you would see just by doing that. Give or take a little depending on timing corrections if any.
Yea third gear with a shift to 4th. The only times it has gone up is from wheel spin basically.. I wasn't bragging about it but more so I guess a metric to discuss that kinda shows that I know there is more on the table.. that's kinda what this whole talk has been about more so where to most get their power from... More timing or more boost

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Yea third gear with a shift to 4th. The only times it has gone up is from wheel spin basically.. I wasn't bragging about it but more so I guess a metric to discuss that kinda shows that I know there is more on the table.. that's kinda what this whole talk has been about more so where to most get their power from... More timing or more boost
Yeah, I didnt take it as bragging. Just pointing out that if you are not getting any corrections, as you said, probably power left on the table. If you look at the boost curve for map 3 at 25 psi peak, you will see it tapers on top end. Lets say you are 600whp now (just for example) at 6500rpm.
Increasing boost (or maintaining at least) to 25 psi to redline will give you roughly another 25whp. So you would be 625whp + without changing timing and MAYBE start seeing some corrections. Especially on a 3rd to 4th gear run.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Yeah, I didnt take it as bragging. Just pointing out that if you are not getting any corrections, as you said, probably power left on the table. If you look at the boost curve for map 3 at 25 psi peak, you will see it tapers on top end. Lets say you are 600whp now (just for example) at 6500rpm.
Increasing boost (or maintaining at least) to 25 psi to redline will give you roughly another 25whp. So you would be 625whp + without changing timing and MAYBE start seeing some corrections. Especially on a 3rd to 4th gear run.
I think your onto something I might play around with map 6 a little šŸ˜