Technical Single High flow catch can system for n54

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
But there is no need to pump air back into the motor as this would reduce the effectiveness of the low side system.

Catch can volume only helps scavenge the oil better from the gasses that are getting passed through it, the biggest thing is how quickly they can pass
under extreme conditions and at high volumes.

Vacuum actually helps with piston ring seal so you don't want to introduce and extra gasses into the crankcase.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
No I'm talking about the vac pump pushing air into the same space you're evacuating from. It would work under off boost situations assuming the catchcan volume is large enough.
On boost you're best to VTA.

You mean like this?

received_2099836763642938.jpeg
@AD-ENG showed me a number of things earlier this year. I'll let him decide if he wants to post them or not but he had a very interesting approach to this entire thread and I hope he chimes in.

But there is no need to pump air back into the motor as this would reduce the effectiveness of the low side system.

Catch can volume only helps scavenge the oil better from the gasses that are getting passed through it, the biggest thing is how quickly they can pass

I think he means pull vacuum from crank case and push it into a large volume can. That's what this adapter could do for example, it pulls from an external port and reroutes it wherever you want.

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Oh course you can do fancy setups and do your own thing but seriously how beneficial and economical would it be for a street car.

The whole excersise here is a highly beneficial, budget orientated high flow system which will not break the bank that 99.9% of owners will benefit from and be cheaper than most dual catch can systems and be able to flow twice as much volume.

As this platform has budget orientated owners we have to start thinking differently the way we design and build products.

This system can be done cheaply and slowly upgraded with better components like metering relief valves and fully sealed flapper valve as.budget allows

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I agree. Something simple is good but let's be honest most people have a factory vc and ports are open.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
This catch can system can be run easily with a stock valve cover and a rob beck pcv valve that externalizes the pcv system but it wont be as effective as plugged headports.

But really this is for the people with aftermarket valve covers that want a simple and effective single catch can system.

Ill draw up a diagram later tonight.

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
You mean like this?

View attachment 33731
@AD-ENG showed me a number of things earlier this year. I'll let him decide if he wants to post them or not but he had a very interesting approach to this entire thread and I hope he chimes in.

I'd like one of those.
Route the exhaust from the pump back to the intake like it's supposed to be. I don't know why BMW though it was a good idea to pump it back into the CC. The pump and vac leaks is the #1 source of smoking cars and is rarely addressed or mentioned properly.

Ideally a dry sump is the way to go, solves evac and oiling problems in one shot.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah we experimented with check valves in an OCC and various other routing to run both systems off one OCC before we decided the dual setup just works better. And it's not like there is a lack of space or much extra weight involved.

-oil-catch-can-vacuum-side-burger-tuning_1024x1024.jpg

Omar@VaderSolutions

Lieutenant
Premium Vendor
Oct 19, 2016
NY & AZ
vadersolution.com
Ride
N54 135i & N54 335i
I believe the VS kit will be a great template for your project , 3rd port on the side can be routed to vacuum source

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Yeah you guys with lhd have plenty of room not so much on rhd that is why I'm designing this.

There is not one single proper solution for us that can be brought and installed with out some fancy fabrication.

I'm know this will work just need to fab it up this weekend

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Looks good! I know the custom one that @Aaron made for me was sized larger than most people had seen before, but it's necessary to accommodate the necessary flow and get ample separation still. Mine was made such that the ports were offset and the inlets are angled to create a vortex of sort if I recall his explanation. All I know is it seems to work great, although there's no vacuum provision. There is a valve on the bottom to drain.

I'm interested in that ADE vacuum pump fix. Very interesting...

IMG_20191128_014622_011.jpg

IMG_20191128_014513_011.jpg

IMG_20191128_014511_011.jpg

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've got my own baffles and oil separators built into the catch can and they work extremely well.

It's not just your every day run of the mill catch can.

This is a production sample for testing purposes.

Will be testing it heavily over our extreme summer as they are predicting 50c or 122f or over this year.

It's going to be one off the hottest summers on record. I never experienced 50c in my whole life and they say there's no global warming. Hmmm

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Looks good! I know the custom one that @Aaron made for me was sized larger than most people had seen before, but it's necessary to accommodate the necessary flow and get ample separation still. Mine was made such that the ports were offset and the inlets are angled to create a vortex of sort if I recall his explanation. All I know is it seems to work great, although there's no vacuum provision. There is a valve on the bottom to drain.

I'm interested in that ADE vacuum pump fix. Very interesting...

What is this ADE vacuum pump fix you mentioned ?

Very interesting

Reactions: JimboFresh206
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
You mean like this?

View attachment 33731

I think he means pull vacuum from crank case and push it into a large volume can. That's what this adapter could do for example, it pulls from an external port and reroutes it wherever you want.
We spoke on this quite a while ago. The stock vacuum pump is WOEFULLY undersized to pull any sort of real vacuum at full boost. You are better off going VTA than using that. Its actually going to end up being a restriction. Why do you think big power domestic guys bother putting huge belt-driven vacuum pumps on their cars? They are heavy and have parasitic losses. If the solution were as easy as a tiny vacuum pump it would be used. The fact remains under boost, or even NA cars making big power, it's the same as anything else. FLOW/volume is king, you need a pump that can move a LOT of volume to properly clear the crankcase. As far as we know, we are the only ones running a proper vacuum pump on the N54 currently.