Single turbo filters

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
I don't have clearance on a single turbo using the BMS shorty filter. It hits my hood and I can't close it. Looking for the next best thing.

Also, other than rerouting the windshield washer filler neck, anything else worth doing?

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
My brother is the one who tried and said it didn't fit. I would have to give it another go and see if that is possible.

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
What turbo kit are you running that causes it to be so high your filter touches? And if you daily your car a turbo guard is not a good option

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Im just now realising this is you lmao, what engine mounts are you running, first the downpipe then this, are yours higher then normal?

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
Could always use a turbogard.

Thats what i run.

Turbo guard is restrictive unfortunately. I dynoed with one and couldn't go past 26 psi 700whp.
Pulled it off and bam overboosted in that map and made 730whp. We tested our filter on my car up to 834whp :)

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Turbo guard is restrictive unfortunately. I dynoed with one and couldn't go past 26 psi 700whp.
Pulled it off and bam overboosted in that map and made 730whp. We tested our filter on my car up to 834whp :)
Is it because the filter has a wider area of flow vs a tight mesh? If so i can see that. I still have my docrace filter. I just enjoy the extra sound the turbogard doesnt hide. All the turbskie noises!

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
Is it because the filter has a wider area of flow vs a tight mesh? If so i can see that. I still have my docrace filter. I just enjoy the extra sound the turbogard doesnt hide. All the turbskie noises!

Exactly! It's all about surface area.

Reactions: DCook

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
Make aluminum tubing inlet and route over to the non-hotside (where the filter will be installed). Seen this done a few times looks great, and fixes clearance issues with trying to mount the filter directly on the top mount ST.

Rob

• Agree
Reactions: GreyNBlueE92

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
how about the NRW filter with a mini velocity stack/snout built in. I wish there was a filter i could use for a daily but had to pretty much destroy the docrace one that came with my kit during install because the space was so tight.
https://www.nelsonracingwheel.com/bespoke-fibers/nrw-hiflow-turbo-snout

The BMS ST shorty filter supplied with my ACF kit fit fine and there is room. Go pick one up. No hacking required.

I seriously do not understand why anyone runs that Nelson filter. It is a cheap 3d printed POS in my opinion. There are gaps in the foam which means unfiltered air is getting to your turbo:

received_1618404058217440.jpg

20180107_130634.jpg

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers did not certify that assembly as advertised.

It is not a velocity stack but it is advertised as one:
20180713_154425.jpg

A real velocity stack that will actually function:
s-l640.jpg

$100?

gingerbreadman

Private
Nov 21, 2016
SoCal
The BMS ST shorty filter supplied with my ACF kit fit fine and there is room. Go pick one up. No hacking required.

I seriously do not understand why anyone runs that Nelson filter. It is a cheap 3d printed POS in my opinion. There are gaps in the foam which means unfiltered air is getting to your turbo:

received_1618404058217440.jpg

20180107_130634.jpg

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers did not certify that assembly as advertised.

It is not a velocity stack but it is advertised as one:
20180713_154425.jpg

A real velocity stack that will actually function:
s-l640.jpg

$100?
True but this is what I have on hand at the moment as I don't have a filter. it was either this or a Turboguard which i have as well. I bought them when i had very limited space on a bottom mount kit. i don't want to shell out the money for the BMS shorty filter if the size is similar to the Docrace one that got mangled, but if you confirm it'll fit then i'll give it a shot.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Make aluminum tubing inlet and route over to the non-hotside (where the filter will be installed). Seen this done a few times looks great, and fixes clearance issues with trying to mount the filter directly on the top mount ST.

Rob
I dont exactly remember but think someone tried that with 4" tubing across the radiator and was worse then with just a short filter.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
True but this is what I have on hand at the moment as I don't have a filter. it was either this or a Turboguard which i have as well. I bought them when i had very limited space on a bottom mount kit. i don't want to shell out the money for the BMS shorty filter if the size is similar to the Docrace one that got mangled, but if you confirm it'll fit then i'll give it a shot.

I mean the BMS shorty filter fit on my acf kit with no hacking required. If the doc race is kit sits the turbo too far forward your only solution is probably the turboguard. If you ask BMS I am sure they can give you the dimensions of the filter and you can measure to see if it will fit.

I keep hearing about fitment issues with Docrace. I think they have sold so many people a few youtubers use them.

I dont exactly remember but think someone tried that with 4" tubing across the radiator and was worse then with just a short filter.

It's gotta be tight AF to fit a 4'' tube there. I would almost bet it was 3'' or it would need to be oval I think...