Single Turbo Kit for e93 n54

Matilda335i

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
Ride
09 e93 N54
So, I want to single turbo my '09 e93 n54...but I find that I am already running into some issues with FBO because of lack of e93 things :(
If anyone has any info or advice on what route I should take in order to single turbo and push 900+ hp!
Currently just have just air intakes and chargepipe with stage 1+ tune.

Thanks!

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
What are you not able to find? What do you believe is different in the engine bay of an e93 compared to others?

Matilda335i

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
Ride
09 e93 N54
Not sure if trolling. Someone legit looking for 900+whp shouldn’t be asking such questions...
thanks for that, but no im completely serious. i am just getting into the car community and genuinely want to learn about what i can and cannot do with my car. i don't have the connections to shops that a lot of these people from so flo have so i have to start where i can and with the resources i have.

Matilda335i

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
Ride
09 e93 N54
What are you not able to find? What do you believe is different in the engine bay of an e93 compared to others?
well, i was looking at several exhaust systems and i found a corsa one that fits e93 but im not really looking to spend that kind of money on an exhaust thats not 100% custom fit to my car. my other route would just be to look into some well known shops and get a full custom exhaust. but one that i talked to down in Miami said that the e93 have a brace bar that the e90/92 dont have that create a problem with the full vrsf exhaust.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
soon, would be probably 2-3 years. and then i would just sell my downpipes for custom ones
but for now just stage 2+
I see I just put a set of eBay downpipes on my e93 because I'm also going to single turbo soon as well.

Matilda335i

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
Ride
09 e93 N54
I see I just put a set of eBay downpipes on my e93 because I'm also going to single turbo soon as well.
i'll probably just get the vrsf ones, 295 isnt bad for now. i just have to save up for the single turbo D: i started looking into the doc racing ones, but im so new to this i didnt realize the two different ones. but i see now i have to get a bigger one than 6466? its so confusing. but also someone was saying one wouldnt fit bc of their manifold? and yeah idk im lost at that point.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
i'll probably just get the vrsf ones, 295 isnt bad for now. i just have to save up for the single turbo D: i started looking into the doc racing ones, but im so new to this i didnt realize the two different ones. but i see now i have to get a bigger one than 6466? its so confusing. but also someone was saying one wouldnt fit bc of their manifold? and yeah idk im lost at that point.
You can get much smaller turbos than a 6466 if desired. And the doc race shouldnt have any fitment issues on a e93 it's no different than e92 for fitment

Matilda335i

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
Ride
09 e93 N54
You can get much smaller turbos than a 6466 if desired. And the doc race shouldnt have any fitment issues on a e93 it's no different than e92 for fitment
ive read though that a smaller turbo wouldnt be rated for 1000+ hp..

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Let's do a Q&A for you.

List your questions in numbered format and it'll help us figure out what info you actually need.

The above is not snark, want to be able to help but reads as brand new with no knowledge and going from stock to 900whp ST is the biggest leap you can make as it will require an engine build as well.

Matilda335i

Lurker
Nov 4, 2019
Ride
09 e93 N54
Let's do a Q&A for you.

List your questions in numbered format and it'll help us figure out what info you actually need.

The above is not snark, want to be able to help but reads as brand new with no knowledge and going from stock to 900whp ST is the biggest leap you can make as it will require an engine build as well.
oh definitely i understand thats a huge jump, but im not doing it overnight or even in the next few months. i estimate this will be a 5+ year build, with at least $25k put into the car. i know im going to have to have a motor built and everything, but i figure why not start doing my research now. im not going stock to 900whp. i know how to get to 600hp im pretty sure i can get there without the help, but its after that. im going in stages. i'd rather do my stage two after to feel the hp difference. but basically i will upgrade my downpipes and intercooler next (just for stage two) i know i wont be using the same one with the final single turbo build but while i save up for that i can just do stage two..save up for the exhaust, turbo, fuel injectors, things like that etc.

i guess my main concern is doing something wrong and buying the wrong thing for my car and spending thousands thats not necessary. my goal is to be a tracked e93 and im literally starting from zero, total car noob, but i'd like to do as much of the work i can myself.

1. so precision or garret?

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
oh definitely i understand thats a huge jump, but im not doing it overnight or even in the next few months. i estimate this will be a 5+ year build, with at least $25k put into the car. i know im going to have to have a motor built and everything, but i figure why not start doing my research now. im not going stock to 900whp. i know how to get to 600hp im pretty sure i can get there without the help, but its after that. im going in stages. i'd rather do my stage two after to feel the hp difference. but basically i will upgrade my downpipes and intercooler next (just for stage two) i know i wont be using the same one with the final single turbo build but while i save up for that i can just do stage two..save up for the exhaust, turbo, fuel injectors, things like that etc.

i guess my main concern is doing something wrong and buying the wrong thing for my car and spending thousands thats not necessary. my goal is to be a tracked e93 and im literally starting from zero, total car noob, but i'd like to do as much of the work i can myself.

1. so precision or garret?

1. Don't limit yourself to those two. If it were me the question would be Borg or Garrett. But I think you're getting ahead of yourself. Before picking a turbo you need to think about what you want to achieve NOW with that turbo. Then you need to think about hot parts, maintenance/wear items, and airflow/fuel/spark.

BUT... let's simplify and start over. You mention this being a 5y+ build. What is the goal for your car by the end of 2019? What about 2020?

Give me a concise list of goals for the next few months.

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
1. Don't limit yourself to those two. If it were me the question would be Borg or Garrett. But I think you're getting ahead of yourself. Before picking a turbo you need to think about what you want to achieve NOW with that turbo. Then you need to think about hot parts, maintenance/wear items, and airflow/fuel/spark.

BUT... let's simplify and start over. You mention this being a 5y+ build. What is the goal for your car by the end of 2019? What about 2020?

Give me a concise list of goals for the next few months.

Agree with this approach. But also, how do you intend to use the car? Daily driver, 1/4 mile, road course, half-mile events, street racing, what?

Neil

Reactions: ShocknAwe