Single Turbo or Upgraded Twins (Cost Analysis)

Upgraded Twins or Single Turbo?

• Upgraded Twins

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • Single Turbo

Votes: 31 53.4%

• Total voters
Mar 14, 2017
Minot, ND
Ride
2010 135i
So....one person? How did they nail down that the cylinder one injector pointing directly at one of two valves, instead of the divider between the two valves, caused a lean cylinder and engine failure?
Like I said, I didn't blow the engine and I didn't tear it down. He was also running a significant amount of power and when he did his analysis this is what he determined to cause the engine to fail. He's switched his PI system since then, built a new engine, and is back at it again. Regardless of this potentially isolated incident, there are a handfull of other cars that blew due to PI injectors spraying after a misfire and that issue has been addressed. Knowing that there are flaws with the system that have potential to kill an engine I personally would prefer to go with companies that have tested these issues and offer support like Fuel It! and BMS.

• Agree
Reactions: The Convert

squeedle

Lurker
May 29, 2017
SF Bay Area
Ride
2009 135i AT MSport Coupe
I am currently in the process of replacing my rattly-ass stock twins. As far as cost, yeah, it's a no brainer really. A pair of new OEM twins is as little as $1200. Pure or Dinan stage 1 are both under $2k. Pure stage 2 is under $3k. And installation will be between $1-2k. So $2500 out the door for the cheapest option.

For me, the key thing was separating what I wanted from what the forums told me I wanted. I fell in love with my car for the lagless boost at all speeds, so my first priority was retaining that feeling. I don't need 700 hp; the thing can barely grip the road as it is. And my second priority was having a redesigned wastegate that wouldn't rattle. I'm hoping I found the solution to both with Pure stage 1, but we'll see in a couple weeks after it's installed...

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
Twins are more fun I think. I am thinking about building a engine and going with GC turbos. This would be 700whp easily and would be a fun car. However I am not fully commited to this yet. I think ST kits are out of question because of the cost for a AWD car is much more and my time frame is not long enough to wait 3 months for a kit to build.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I am currently in the process of replacing my rattly-ass stock twins. As far as cost, yeah, it's a no brainer really. A pair of new OEM twins is as little as $1200. Pure or Dinan stage 1 are both under $2k. Pure stage 2 is under $3k. And installation will be between $1-2k. So $2500 out the door for the cheapest option.

For me, the key thing was separating what I wanted from what the forums told me I wanted. I fell in love with my car for the lagless boost at all speeds, so my first priority was retaining that feeling. I don't need 700 hp; the thing can barely grip the road as it is. And my second priority was having a redesigned wastegate that wouldn't rattle. I'm hoping I found the solution to both with Pure stage 1, but we'll see in a couple weeks after it's installed...

Be sure to report back and let us know what you think

I think ST kits are out of question because of the cost for a AWD car is much more

What ST kits are AWD compatible?