Single Turbo peeps... what O2 sensors?

drepai

Jan 25, 2018
Ride
335i
Anyone care to elaborate as to why some of us find these just aren't compatible? That was what was most frustrating about my ordeal with the ADV sensors -- zero explanation as to why my expensive sensors didn't work.

Same issue here, IJE0S as well. Drove me crazy for months - I tried literally everything including different files that Chris sent over and nothing seemed to work. I switched to NTK and never looked back. Chris was also pretty unresponsive for the most part which made the process that much more frustrating. I've heard others have the same issue as well, but for the most part they seem to work. Still have no clue why they didn't work to this day.

• Sad
Reactions: veer90

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
Same issue here, IJE0S as well. Drove me crazy for months - I tried literally everything including different files that Chris sent over and nothing seemed to work. I switched to NTK and never looked back. Chris was also pretty unresponsive for the most part which made the process that much more frustrating. I've heard others have the same issue as well, but for the most part they seem to work. Still have no clue why they didn't work to this day.

I remember :(

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Anyone care to elaborate as to why some of us find these just aren't compatible? That was what was most frustrating about my ordeal with the ADV sensors -- zero explanation as to why my expensive sensors didn't work.

I don't know and at this point I don't care to know. What I do know is I won't be buying them despite what anyone who sells them tells me.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Sorry you guys had issues with them. Moving the manifold o2's to the downpipe on ST cars should at least be a reality this year :)

What would stop someone from putting 2 o2s in the downpipe to keep the DME happy right now? I figure it has something to do with having 2 banks and compensations for them, but you'll lose that anyways once you go with a single o2, right?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
What would stop someone from putting 2 o2s in the downpipe to keep the DME happy right now? I figure it has something to do with having 2 banks and compensations for them, but you'll lose that anyways once you go with a single o2, right?

STFT and LTFT learn apart, then codes, etc. Many people have tried, it doesn't work for many reasons :)

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Sorry you guys had issues with them. Moving the manifold o2's to the downpipe on ST cars should at least be a reality this year :)

That will be a big step forward to ST users. Is this something that is complete on your end or in the works? Huge thanks for continuing to advance the platform!

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
The killer is the bank 1/bank 2 fueling logic, not sure what all changes are required to link fueling together as 1 bank for single turbo but that's what's needed to place the O2s post-turbo.

Also, a short term update. It's been 3 days since I installed the Innovate O2 venturis and I have not had a single O2 sensor heater / function / emissions control whatever bullshit codes that used to pop up before. AFR readings are unaffected just a hair slower to respond.

Reactions: Torgus

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Is this something that is complete on your end or in the works?

Let's say it's in the data confirmation phase right now. It's being thoroughly tested on a car with a standalone wideband in each manifold bank, the 2x DME lambdas post turbo in the downpipe, another standalone wideband in the downpipe, a narrowband rear o2 in the normal spot in the downpipe, and 6x EGT sensors (one per cylinder).

The goal of this was long term validation. So far so good.

The killer is the bank 1/bank 2 fueling logic, not sure what all changes are required

Two-bank was baked into the roms at compile time by BMW, so no easy toggle to switch it. It's taken a LOT of changes. For awhile I was unsure if it was going to be possible.

• Love
Reactions: Eson_ and chrisdfv

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
I hope it works well, would be nice to get the o2 sensor back in to the downpipe where it belongs on these single turbo kits. Would also greatly simplify manifold design.

Reactions: dyezak

Stider

Lurker
Oct 12, 2018
Ride
'08 335
Fried already 5 set of ADV's in Precision 6062 car with higher egt and happy with one set ADV's in another car with BW EFR 9180 but lower egt.
Looking for NTK sensor usage experience.

• Sad

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Fried already 5 set of ADV's in Precision 6062 car with higher egt and happy with one set ADV's in another car with BW EFR 9180 but lower egt.
Looking for NTK sensor usage experience.

Have 4,200 miles on my NTK's with the Innovate heat sinks as described before, no issue. Daily driving, extended idling, 60+ highway pulls, and 30+ dyno pulls

Additionally I figured out my AFR slow response "problem" which was really an install error. When you enable single rear O2, make sure that the bank 1 rear O2 sensor is actually placed first in the downpipe. lmao

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: The Banshee

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Have 20,000 miles of daily driving abuse on my 6062 powered ACF kit using NGK sensors with no issues at all. I don't ever beat on the car continuously for multiple pulls, so maybe that has something to do with it, but been very happy with how long these have held up and they show no signs of failing anytime soon. Couldn't get the ADVs to work from the jump on my ST setup, threw trim codes immediately and continuously for months before I switched and haven't had problems since.

Stider

Lurker
Oct 12, 2018
Ride
'08 335
Thank you! Ordered a set of longer NGK sensor.
Have 4,200 miles on my NTK's with the Innovate heat sinks as described before, no issue. Daily driving, extended idling, 60+ highway pulls, and 30+ dyno pulls

Additionally I figured out my AFR slow response "problem" which was really an install error. When you enable single rear O2, make sure that the bank 1 rear O2 sensor is actually placed first in the downpipe. lmao

View attachment 17183

Have 20,000 miles of daily driving abuse on my 6062 powered ACF kit using NGK sensors with no issues at all. I don't ever beat on the car continuously for multiple pulls, so maybe that has something to do with it, but been very happy with how long these have held up and they show no signs of failing anytime soon. Couldn't get the ADVs to work from the jump on my ST setup, threw trim codes immediately and continuously for months before I switched and haven't had problems since.

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Ive been running adv 02 sensors on my single turbo 335i with a ac fab manifold that has built in heat sinks for over a year now, still on my original set and havent had a single issue. Also tuned by chris kontos (guy who made them)

Reactions: Torgus

Socrates

Jul 28, 2018
Ride
135i
Motiv single turbo kit here. My Advo2 sensors SUCK DICK since day 1. Nothing but codes

• Sad